iPad Mini 5 and New Entry-Level iPad Said to Launch in First Half of 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is said to be launching two new tablets in the first half of this year, including the rumored "iPad mini 5" as well as a likely replacement for its current entry-level iPad.

[​IMG]

DigiTimes made the claim today in a report highlighting stable shipment expectations for Apple's touch panel suppliers, Taiwan-based General Interface Solution (GIS) and TPK Holding.
    The claim follows a rumor carried last month by the China Times that Apple is preparing to launch a new iPad mini in the first half of 2019, followed by a new entry-level iPad in two versions, with at least one featuring a 10-inch display within a narrower frame.

Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed in October that Apple is working on a new version of the iPad mini with an upgraded processor and a lower-cost display panel, with the device being launched in 2018 or 2019.

Ironically, Kuo's prediction came two months after DigiTimes said it did not believe Apple plans to introduce an updated iPad mini, and in fact has "no further plan" for the smaller tablet.

An alleged case for the next-generation iPad mini also surfaced in December that featured a vertical camera cutout, suggesting a camera arrangement similar to the iPad Pro with a rear flash, and a center microphone cutout.

Apple hasn't updated its smallest iPad since September 2015, but the device did receive a price cut in March 2017, with a 128GB capacity model costing $399.

As for the entry-level iPad, Apple was previously reported to be launching the two new low-priced versions in 2019 to boost the sales growth of its affordable tablet options. The 9.7-inch iPad was last updated in March 2018 and in the same month the year before that.

Today's DigiTimes report cites industry sources claiming GIS will supply over 40 percent of the touch panels for the new iPads, while TPK and China-based O-film Technology will provide the remaining 60 percent.

Article Link: iPad Mini 5 and New Entry-Level iPad Said to Launch in First Half of 2019

2. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Let's see if Tim started to realize that some more affordable prices as well as frequent updates will boost Apple's sales again.

3. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

So many released over the years that I lost track and I still won't be buying one.

4. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

5. Azeroth1 macrumors regular

Don’t toy with my emotions, I’ve been hurt before with promises of a Mini update.

6. Sykora171 macrumors newbie

Sykora171

Good to hear. Fingers crossed for an iPhone Mini in the upcoming years..my SE is starting to show it's age, but I will hold onto it until a smaller iphone comes.

7. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

No thanks. I still have a mini4 laying around and its super small compared to what im using now. The mini shouldnt exist in 2019

8. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

No wonder your sells go down. Update cycle takes so long for almost every product.

9. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I hope this rumor comes to fruition so I can pick up a couple of the 2018 9.7's on the cheap.

10. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

Bwahahaha keep dreaming, the market has spoken and the top players are not going to waste production making a smaller phone that only a small minority of people are going to buy. Want a smaller phone? Get a used SE (which the XR us pretty much the modern SE) or that palm compainon phone.

11. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

Crank up the scanning ray from the face-id camera. People’s eyes will get hurt and they will need bigger and bigger phone. Win-win situation.

12. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

A big release every 2-3 years with speed bumps and other less major improvements would go a long way to even out sales.

13. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

14. stevie grant Suspended

Yay! Slightly updated existing gadgets!

Keep those innovations coming!

15. Edsel macrumors 6502

So, the anticipated iPad Mini 5" is essentially a replacement for the iPod Touch?

16. clarkm macrumors newbie

clarkm

17. pika2000 macrumors 601

2019 iPad is a given, although I'm not sure what else it actually needs other than updating the pen compatibility to support the Apple Pencil 2.
    Releasing an iPad mini 5 would be a miracle.

My guess is 2018 iPad price dropped to $299, and 2019 iPad with Apple pencil 2 support for $399.
    If Apple would do a mini 5, my guess it would be the mini version of the 2019 iPad for $349. At least the pricing will make more sense compared to the current lineup.

18. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

If Apple dropped the iPad 2018 to a reasonable (for them!) price point, rather than shuttering it, I’d consider one in the future.

Had to sell my iPad Pro 10.5” for financial reasons, and, as much as I welcome the larger screen on the XR I do miss the iPad from time to time.

19. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Give both 3gb RAM and pencil capabilities and I might get both.

All I need is more RAM in there...

20. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Why should this wave of rumors about an updated Mini be believed when the same people said that there would be an updated Mini in March 2018, then June 2018, and then October 2018? I suppose one day they'll be "right" (unless Apple discontinues the Mini)

21. Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    I like the idea of a new iPad Mini to mount over the factory Navi in my Chevy SS Sedan. With my GM monthly wifi plan; this would be perfect, so count me in!

22. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Pointless response of the year goes to...

They want a device that probably would fit better than a 9.7in iPad or the larger latest offerings. I could’ve sworn pilots, for example, love using the Mini in their workflow which is great, the Mini is a great tool.

23. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Yep, I'm still surprised they didn't fill the gaping hole (price and form factor) left after EOL'ing the SE.

24. cknibbs macrumors regular

Pleeeeease give it the same design as the newest iPad Pros... then I shall be tempted to buy one!

25. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Still curious what a 2019 iPad would be - if it has an A11 chip that would make it faster than the 10.5" pro which Apple still sells for $649!