Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It sounds like it definately doesn't check all the boxes from what you have written ... in fact I can't for the life of me understand why on earth you ordered one with all it's shortcomings you are clearly aware of

It's actually right in there, you just didn't read well enough =) What I want is a 7-8" screen that still fits into a pocket. Granted it's not going into my front pocket like a Galaxy Fold would, but it will still fit into my back pocket or a scrubs pocket. That's why I don't carry my surface pro with me unless I'm traveling, or specifically need it, I would rather have both my hands free when not using it. If the Surface Go was 7-8" I'd most definitely be using that, especially reading these reviews with most of them being disappointed by the mini 6 battery life as that was one of the reasons I opted for the mini.

I can use iOS for the most part, it's just that in regular use little irksome stuff always pops up. User accounts, background refreshing, very limited window snapping, browser extensions, lack of ability to customize, etc. Things which by themselves aren't a big deal, but when you start adding them up end up eroding iOS as an OS substantially.

Reactions: Stridr69

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
From the pictures, the bezel looks wider than the left/right bezels from the old mini. Anyone got one in hand to compare?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Perfect for what?
Reading, light web usage, gaming, remote terminals, carrying around with you, just about anything I do with a tablet. My 2nd gen ipad Pro sits with my M1 MBA, rarely getting used because they don't fit my usage pattern, and others things do.

I'll be getting mine Friday. (even though I said I wouldn't buy another Apple device for now, this one fits my usage that well.)

iWeaverOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Colorado
Love seeing the love for the mini. I will definitely buy when ProMotion joins the mini. I got to go hands-on with one and it made me love my iPad Pro a bit more for now.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Rather a shame if the poor battery comments show up in the real world on Friday. Even after down-clocking the A15 too. Also having 5G capabilities won't help battery life either. And, for the life of me, why only 4 Gb of ram? S/B 6 at least. I'll be keeping my Mini5 for the time being-still purring along nicely for what I use it for.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Would have been a day 1 purchase for me if it had AMOLED. Now, not so sure. MKBHD talked about wanting an iPad Mini Pro - that's what would have replaced my 12 Pro Max so I could downsize my phone to a 13 Mini.
You do realize that OLED is coming down the pipe, Apple has to save some features for a future update/upgrade. It will probably have a narrower bezels all-around or a smaller physical body. Apple did this I believe with the mini2 or mini3 with the narrower side bezels.

FaceID on this device would take sales away from the iPhone 13 line as it would place it as such iPhone mini - iPhone 13 - iPad mini 6 - iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone Pro Max.

Some people prefer one large display portable device like the mini 6 and use it with BT earbuds. Plus cost and well iPad Air 4.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I'm just waiting for the open box ipads to be returned to best buy where I can buy at $100 discount!

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Rather a shame if the poor battery comments show up in the real world on Friday. Even after down-clocking the A15 too. Also having 5G capabilities won't help battery life either. And, for the life of me, why only 4 Gb of ram? S/B 6 at least. I'll be keeping my Mini5 for the time being-still purring along nicely for what I use it for.
It’s difficult to gage the battery life received by some reviewers but I have always experienced the advertised if not better battery life that Apple claims. Granted there are exceptions to the rule such as some battery hog apps but it’s best to wait till more real world field reviews are out before drawing any conclusions.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The iPad mini 6 is a great device. FaceID + ProMotion Display would make this device perfect.
Eventually but not at the present price point and I suspect people are not willing to compromise on battery life and pay more for some iPad Pro mini.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
It sounds like it definately doesn't check all the boxes from what you have written ... in fact I can't for the life of me understand why on earth you ordered one with all it's shortcomings you are clearly aware of
For this user maybe FOMO.

Reactions: coachgq

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree with MKBHD that a mini Pro would have been nice. I don't want to go back to 60Hz anything now.
But who would be the audience for that? If you need pro motion in a mini device then just get an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I loved having an iPad Mini for 4 years. But at this point I'm much happier using a larger iPad and if I were to buy a new iPad tomorrow it would be that updated 'regular' iPad at close to $300.
I used to own a larger iPadPro however felt that it defeated the purpose of being extremely portable as it was uncomfortable to hold in one hand espicially for long period of time while accomplishing majority of the same tasks with iPadOS.

If one is going to attach a keyboard and trackpad to it then much as well go with a more capable laptop.

With USB-C I can attach a dock when needed but that is an option I may or may not exercise.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I like this new iPad Mini, but the aspect ratio is just weird. There are margins on both sides in landscape... the screen space could be utilized better..
That’s more of a problem with iPadOS vice the hardware, I suspect Apple can fox this padding issue easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.