Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I don’t believe your points are valid regarding transport at all. And I don’t think the dated design matters honestly. The only reasons to opt for the Mini is if you want something smaller and lighter in your hands. Otherwise I think most people are better off with the larger and cheaper iPad that will do everything just as well and be $200 cheaper.
If cheaper is the name of the tablet game then get an android unless one is looking for iPadOS and if that is the case try the refurbished store.

Imagine this two children sitting side-by-side, one has a 10.2” iPad 9th gen the other a mini 6. For $200 more or if smart about it there are many discounts available so let’s say best case $150 more the child with the 10.2” knows their parents decided on an affordable gift/product compared to the child who received the mini 6 and about the only thing that affordable option has is a larger screen of 1.9” difference but everything else with the exception of CenterStage is outdated including the lack of stereo landscape speakers. You get a non-laminated screen, heavier device, etc etc. The child with the mini 6 puts the device in their cargo pocket and is ready to go the child with the 10.2” iPad reaches for their backpack then off their go.

The child with the 10.2” device knows it’s not new tech as the shell looks the same even though their parents say it’s the new iPad for the very reason people put cases or care about showing off their new designed phones. People perception of themselves in society means a lot, if you don’t want to accept it that is fine but the market says otherwise. A child cares what their peers think of them it’s nature.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Y'know, I think the difference between the mini and bigger ipads shouldn't be too understated. It's the difference between being able to use a small messenger bag/purse versus having to use a full on backpack/tote bag/big-ass purse.

Exactly. The mini just (barely) fits in the small bike bag/man purse I use, no chance with a larger iPad.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Interesting... and thanks for the analysis. Is it also wider than the ipad pros'? it looks like it from the pics, but again might be optical illusion based on proportion of bezel to case size...
I haven’t done the math, but one of the YouTube reviewers mentioned that the bezels are slightly wider than on the iPad Air.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Exactly. The mini just (barely) fits in the small bike bag/man purse I use, no chance with a larger iPad.
Some people who don’t use an iPad mini will try to convince you otherwise.

Ask these people to hold any iPad with the exception of the mini in one hand between the thumb and fingers for a period of time, it ain’t happening folks. Weight and portability along with size means more than $150-200 bucks for a device.

Reactions: bobcomer

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
If cheaper is the name of the tablet game then get an android unless one is looking for iPadOS and if that is the case try the refurbished store.

Imagine this two children sitting side-by-side, one has a 10.2” iPad 9th gen the other a mini 6. For $200 more or if smart about it there are many discounts available so let’s say best case $150 more the child with the 10.2” knows their parents decided on an affordable gift/product compared to the child who received the mini 6 and about the only thing that affordable option has is a larger screen of 1.9” difference but everything else with the exception of CenterStage is outdated including the lack of stereo landscape speakers. You get a non-laminated screen, heavier device, etc etc. The child with the mini 6 puts the device in their cargo pocket and is ready to go the child with the 10.2” iPad reaches for their backpack then off their go.

The child with the 10.2” device knows it’s not new tech as the shell looks the same even though their parents say it’s the new iPad for the very reason people put cases or care about showing off their new designed phones. People perception of themselves in society means a lot, if you don’t want to accept it that is fine but the market says otherwise. A child cares what their peers think of them it’s nature.
This is a ridiculous response. Take care mate.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Would have been a day 1 purchase for me if it had AMOLED. Now, not so sure. MKBHD talked about wanting an iPad Mini Pro - that's what would have replaced my 12 Pro Max so I could downsize my phone to a 13 Mini.
I think a iPad mini at iPhone 13 prices would be a hard sell to most prospective mini buyers. Imagine a 256GB iPad Pro mini at $799/899 or 512GB iPad Pro mini at $999/1,099!!! It’s hard enough now for the 256GB at $649.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Strange how apple made the icons so inward like this why not make it go to the edges like every other iPad? looks odd and cramped when it doesn’t need to be
1EFB06CA-48C3-4BFC-8A57-7C7D1F57480B.png

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think a iPad mini at iPhone 13 prices would be a hard sell to most prospective mini buyers. Imagine a 256GB iPad Pro mini at $799/899 or 512GB iPad Pro mini at $999/1,099!!! It’s hard enough now for the 256GB at $649.

I'd be first in line for (cellular) iPad Mini Pro 512GB with iPhone/Pro camera system up to a price point of about $1199. I wouldn't love the price there but if you want Apple, you pay that big fat margin premium. That apparently helps us out somehow in other threads where Apple is not first in some list and we get to sling: "but who make the most profitable..."

I look forward to delivery of the maxed 6, which is already the $799 you reference sans the better camera system in iPhone. If I could make 3 "more" wishes for it per my own wants:
  1. MORE internal storage
  2. iPhone/iPad Pro camera tech
  3. 3.5mm headphone jack
That would be perfection (for me)... even at about $1200. Why? Because I use this as my "phone" too (with buds), so I don't also have those better cameras in the other thing I (don't) carry around. I'd love a Mini 6 Pro... but will settle for the 6 "as is" about to be delivered 🎉... plus the first of probably many dongles to keep that 3.5mm option available ☹️.

Last edited:

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
60Hz is tolerable on the iphone but anything with it on a display bigger than the Pro Max in 2021 is not worth it to me.

It’s funny I downgraded from a IPad Pro to an air and can’t tell any difference really. Then I come on here and it’s like the holy grail of features. I will have it on my IPhone Pro 13, just find it weird that I owned the Pro ipad from 3 years and never was like, “whoa this is so buttery smooth”. Am I missing something.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
The size of the iPad mini is just perfect.

Fully agree. This is a great form factor. My full-size iPads have always gotten far less use than my ~7" tablets (Nexus 7, iPad Mini) throughout the years. I finally broke down and bought a Mini 5 to replace my Mini 2 a few months ago, days before the credible Mini 6 rumors started. Fortunately I'm not feeling an itch for the Mini 6 yet.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
forget MKBHD just likes to hate on all non pro and most Apple products with snide remarks.

Brian Colbow review from an artists perspective is decent

60hz whining continue but nobody is asking about the drawing refresh rate of contact (not scrolling ) which seems lag free!!

• Haha
Reactions: Oohara and klasma

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It’s funny I downgraded from a IPad Pro to an air and can’t tell any difference really. Then I come on here and it’s like the holy grail of features. I will have it on my IPhone Pro 13, just find it weird that I owned the Pro ipad from 3 years and never was like, “whoa this is so buttery smooth”. Am I missing something.

the buttery smooth crowd just waste their day away swiping like swiper on crack. “Swiper no swiping” cannot be said enough of a screen refresh diehard snobs.

there’s a LOT more than just screen refresh rate. Uggh.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I agree. While I think it would be nice to have a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz, it would just be a nicety for me, not a necessity.
I’ve been using an iPad Pro with a 120 Hz refresh since 2017. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference on the 60 Hz iPad mini. I’m especially concerned about any lag with the pencil. I don’t normally notice any difference between the iPad Pro and the 60 Hz iPhone when scrolling.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I’ve been using an iPad Pro with a 120 Hz refresh since 2017. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference on the 60 Hz iPad mini. I’m especially concerned about any lag with the pencil. I don’t normally notice any difference between the iPad Pro and the 60 Hz iPhone when scrolling.
Well, I have one of those same iPad Pros and I also have an android phone with a variable 120Hz and yes, you'll notice it, I do. 120Hz ProMotion with the variable refresh adds so much to the table, but it doesn't irritate me that it's not there. Almost everything else I have is 60Hz and my eyes aren't good enough to see the flickering in all but the very fastest motion.

One thing I did get out of the reviews is they were amazed there wasn't any lag with the pencil. I didn't get the pencil myself, it's not really in my usage zone.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Fully agree. This is a great form factor. My full-size iPads have always gotten far less use than my ~7" tablets (Nexus 7, iPad Mini) throughout the years. I finally broke down and bought a Mini 5 to replace my Mini 2 a few months ago, days before the credible Mini 6 rumors started. Fortunately I'm not feeling an itch for the Mini 6 yet.
100%. Even in his iPhone 13 Pro reviews, he goes on and on with respect to how Apple should have had ProMotion displays a year ago

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Magsafe charging would take much longer for an iPad due to the larger battery size. It probably wouldn’t be very practical with the existing Magsafe interface. Otherwise I’d want that feature as well.

I don't care about the charging speed. I want to keep my iPad plugged in all the time without the charging cable coming straight out of the bottom edge. A Magsafe connection in the back would reduce the visibility of the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.