Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Still no competition for the iPad.
You dont give any reason besides a very cheap price and impulse buys.

It selling well, we will see how the ipad mini sells.
At the end of the day, the popularity of any specific device has to translate into earnings or winnings for the company. That is until now not happening with the kindle or the nexus.
Funny how you seem to know both amazon and google trough and trough .

the-wanderer

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
twilight zone
i hope this is finally the beginning of the end of apple's overpriced and underperforming gadgets and toys.

amazon will eat apple alive.

_________amazon_____apple
price______+++
content____+++

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
You dont give any reason besides a very cheap price and impulse buys.

It selling well, we will see how the ipad mini sells.

Funny how you seem to know both amazon and google trough and trough .

I did give the reason. These devices do not make money. Thats why it can not be sustained. You do not need to know any company to know, that if they sell at or below cost, they will not be able to continue that forever.

I am not looking from the consumer point of view, they only see the price they pay on the till and are ok with complete depreation within 6month because it was "sooooo cheap" I am looking from the point of the company. If you are small (HTC,LG,SONY,Moto ect) and want to live of your hardware, you go down with Android, just look at there results, they are public. You have to be big like Samsung to get some profit because you can loose in one corner but win in another thanks to loads of different models (tech wise identical, so cheap to manufacture, but each slightly different to each other in casing)
The only one with a hope of profit is Google, but even they start to have problems as we could see last week. If one of the main apps for Android is a global Ad Blocker, the entire Business model for Google breaks down.

The iPad mini is very well priced, less then a dollar a day over the first year of use and then you will get at least 50% back, so its really a no brainer. Why bother for the sake of 70 or 100 dollars in the short run, loose all your apps, have to learn a new system, live with a even smaller screen, less battery and thicker plastic gadget that wont get you 50dollars in a year when you have to replace it because its getting "old"? In the long run, you pay more for less fun.

----------

And in the rest of Europe it is 329€ exact same price as the ipod touch 5.

One of those products has to change it's price!

Really? But they are the same? IPod touch got the smaller screen but retina and doubble the memory. You decide if you like a bigger screen or more memory.
The price is ok. I expected that they ditch the iPad2 and replace it with the mini at the same price (399).

----------

I walked into Best Buy a couple of weeks after the iPad 3 came out and picked one up off the shelf. What's your point?

We are talking about the nexus. The iPad is not in question, of course thats available and it should be. What I'm saying is, the Nexus is as well.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
I did give the reason. These devices do not make money. Thats why it can not be sustained. You do not need to know any company to know, that if they sell at or below cost, they will not be able to continue that forever.
Sure they can, look at the console market, been going for decades.

What you fail to see is amazon and google both get income not just from the hardware sales but out of the usage. So unlike apple they can price lower go for volume and make money.

The iPad mini is very well priced, less then a dollar a day over the first year of use and then you will get at least 50% back, so its really a no brainer.
For an apple fanboy it isnt.

For everyone else the price is steep, very close to the ipad 2 (wich is virtually the same just bigger) and a lot above comparable offerings from other brands.

Why bother for the sake of 70 or 100 dollars in the short run
Thats 20-30% of the total price, or a hge difference

, loose all your apps,
Not everyone is invested in apple, or even had apple products before.

live with a even smaller screen
With higher resolution (making it an overal smaller device thats capable of showing the same)

less battery
To be seen.

and thicker plastic gadget that wont get you 50dollars in a year when you have to replace it because its getting "old"? In the long run, you pay more for less fun.
According to you, plastic for the very vast mayority isnt an issue, the same with resale value (btw just see how fast ipad 3 dropped in price) as for fun , purely objective

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Where did you see me say $329 for a 3rd gen iPad?????? Anyway, with todays announcement of the 4th gen iPad, I'm sure you won't have trouble finding some;) Even Apple is selling refurbs for $379 on their site.

"Hmmm, I wonder if that'll be $329 for 8GB. Either way, that's a bit too high. I was planning on getting one, but not at that price. Could probably find an iPad (3rd gen) close to that price on Craigslist."

Right there, You said it quite literally, you can find 3rd gen iPads on craigslist for $329.

So please, show me where I can find them.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Again, where do people keep getting 8 gigs? Not in the article or the roundup.

You're right, thanks for pointing that out, the flashmemory configs are actually 16, 32, and 64 GB: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

I still think $329 is too much for the mini, wonderful iOS or not, but I have no doubt many others will be willing to pay that high cost.

----------

Why? So you finally can afford one too? It is not their fault that you probably don´t have enough money to buy one. Obviously a lot of other people do have the money.
Maybe it helps if you ask yourself why you think you need an Apple product like the iPad mini.
Maybe you´ll realize you don´t really need another gadget in your life.
Maybe you will save some money to finally buy one in a month or two.
Maybe you´ll go for a cheaper Android or Windows tablet.

But all of that is not Apples problem. There still are more than enough people out there ordering Apple´s stuff even before they ever saw it with their own eyes.
At this point, Apple would be a very stupid company trying to minimize and not maximize the pricing of its products.

This is capitalism. Companies do not exist to better people´s quality of life.
They are mainly there to make profits, whether it benefits somone except the company itself - or whether it does not.

Hey ya little troll, nice try, but I got plenty of cash to buy up any gadget I desire so now why don't you go scurry back into that crack in the wall you came from and shove your "no apologies for capitalism" up your judgmental azz.

All you ever do on this forum is try to needlessly antagonize people while contributing ZERO useful/constructive insight to the topic on hand. Grow up already.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
"Hmmm, I wonder if that'll be $329 for 8GB. Either way, that's a bit too high. I was planning on getting one, but not at that price. Could probably find an iPad (3rd gen) close to that price on Craigslist."

Right there, You said it quite literally, you can find 3rd gen iPads on craigslist for $329.

So please, show me where I can find them.

I said CLOSE to that price. Without even looking at Craigslist, I can get a refurbished 3rd gen iPad on Apple's site for $379...that's pretty close I'd say.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Yeah but then the tech journalists will just proclaim how the iPad Mini screen sucks and is way overpriced, when you consider the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD have 216 ppi.
I think we can be confident it will have a retina screen.

Well who turned out to be right? I guess by confident, you meant, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.