Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
No people are complaining about the quality of the screen.
Which review has an issue with display quality? Those are weasel words.
If you want to argue semantics, we can do that in another thread regarding resolution vs. screen vs. display. That is not the point of this thread.
But it is. You're saying that reviewers are complaining about display quality when that is factually incorrect. They are complaining about display resolution.

A high-quality display and a high-resolution display are separate things, and you either don't understand this or are being intentionally deceptive.

You're quoting Siegler in defense of a claim that the review is complaining about the quality of the screen. But in fact, the review states the opposite:

"While we’re on the subject of the screen, let’s not beat around the bush — if there is a weakness of this device, it’s the screen. But that statement comes with a very big asterisk. As someone who is used to a “retina” display on my phone, tablet, and even now computer, the downgrade to a non-retina display is quite noticeable. This goes away over time as you use the iPad mini non-stop, but if you switch back a retina screen, it’s jarring.

That’s not to say the iPad mini screen is bad — it’s not by any stretch of the word. It’s just not retina-level. At 163 pixels per inch, it’s actually quite a bit better than the iPad 2 screen (the last non-retina iPad)"

None of the reviews say it's a bad screen like you're trying to paint.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
And I think one of those 'other reasons' is having a clear upgrade path for later iterations of the product.

It depends also what you mean by 'retaining value'. With all of the current models on the market and already sold, their resale value are diminishing. Their's almost a glut of them out. Go on your local craigslist and see how many people are trying to dump their 3's to get the 4's. On mine, there's a bunch of ones on there that haven't moved.

Not hating, but being open eyed realistic.

+1000.

They were probably more concerned about getting back to their time machine before rush hour, since the iPad had been out for several months before FaceTime was announced.

iPad 1 came out 4/2010. FaceTime 6/2010. iPhone 4 6/2010.

You are telling me Apple had no idea that FaceTime would come out when iPad 1 was being designed? That pooooof, all of a sudden the idea of FaceTime came together and was launched? Yeah riiiiight. The iPhone 4 was launched 6/2010 with FaceTime being one of the big draws. That means there was overlap in development between the iPhone 4 + FaceTime and iPad 1.

If I had to guess, I'd say that based on the iPad mini having a noise-canceling microphone setup that differs from the iPad 2 and iPhone 4, that there's different audio processing hardware involved and that Apple felt that was their starting point baseline. Apple doesn't tend to reach backwards to do extra work to backport new features into old hardware, whether it would be feasible or not.

Thats the whole point. iPad 2= iPad mini. iPad mini can run Siri, so why won't the iPad 2. Because it is Apple being Apple. Simple as that.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
No people are complaining about the quality of the screen.

If you want to argue semantics, we can do that in another thread regarding resolution vs. screen vs. display. That is not the point of this thread.

Once again, you are cherry picking one tiny thing about this. But let's go back to your original opening statement, your thesis statement, shall we say..

"The screen might be the most important aspect for me as that is some tangible that you interact with and use every time you pick up the iPad. Poor screen quality can result in a less than ideal experience. It is all about the experience anyways, right?"

And yet, the reviewers' (that you quote) overall sentiment is exactly the opposite, that despite this one missing desirable feature, the screen quality, and the ipad quality is excellent.

Cnet says "I will say this: when you see it, you'll desire it." That goes to exactly your point, the visual. They don't say, when you see it, and get over the low-res, you'll desire it. Other reviews specifically talk about the quality of the screen being high. You argue the resolution is the quality, yet there are plenty of other factors to make up quality that go beyond resolution, so at best it's one small part of the quality.

I, for one, saw the tradeoffs of retina in the full size, I don't want those tradeoffs coming anywhere near the mini, the whole overall experience goes down. I know you are only talking display, but this goes to your original point that the display is the most important piece and how it relates to the overall experience. Yet you ignore the parts of the reviews where they address the display and how it relates to the overall experience. So in your words "It is all about the experience anyways, right?"

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
The first iPad was publicly unveiled in January, so it was finished quite a long time before FaceTime.
You are telling me Apple had no idea that FaceTime would come out when iPad 1 was being designed?
Apple has a long history of isolating product teams--the iPad team is distinct from the iPhone team and neither of them necessarily are in on what the software guys are doing that doesn't relate directly to the hardware engineering.

Whether they knew about FaceTime being in development or not doesn't change that the decision not to include a camera wasn't based on size, power, or really anything else. It also makes no sense whatsoever to claim that they thought adding a crappy camera was going to entice more people later on in the iPad 2 than it would annoy by omitting in the first iPad.
Thats the whole point. iPad 2= iPad mini.
Except that it's not. It has similar specs but it's not like someone just sat down at the iPad 2 parts bin and taped together a mini. Almost no actual parts are shared between the two products. I would expect to see audio processing hardware much more similar in the mini to what appears in the iPhone 5 or iPod touch than the iPad 2.

You seem to like collapsing things into a single dimension. It's not that simple.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
+1000.

You are telling me Apple had no idea that FaceTime would come out when iPad 1 was being designed? That pooooof, all of a sudden the idea of FaceTime came together and was launched? Yeah riiiiight. The iPhone 4 was launched 6/2010 with FaceTime being one of the big draws. That means there was overlap in development between the iPhone 4 + FaceTime and iPad 1.

Thats the whole point. iPad 2= iPad mini. iPad mini can run Siri, so why won't the iPad 2. Because it is Apple being Apple. Simple as that.

The ipad group was kept pretty solitary from the rest of Apple during the initial development, it's not like they were pal paling around discussing secret features together from what it sounds like over at apple. I'm sure the first ipad was being developed for longer than the iphone 4 was. Maybe those decisions were made before facetime was on the table to push it as a priority.

As for the ipad 2, it may not have the additional hardware that was apparently required for siri to perform at what apple deemed as acceptable (noise cancelling mics/chips). Also, there may have been an accounting reasons (apple has had that in the past) and also licensing reasons (the costs for adding the licensing for the ipad 2 was not accounted for in costs, which goes back to accounting reasons) and the additonal costs of the backend serives were not accounted for in the ipad2 costs. None of these numbers is insignificant for apple to just give away to ipad2 owners who didn't pay for it. They aren't a charity for disgruntled fanboys..

Anyhow, I'm sure it's more complicated than "they won't give me cool things like they should!" that this thread seems to have turned into.

----------

The first iPad was publicly unveiled in January, so it was finished quite a long time before FaceTime.

Apple has a long history of isolating product teams--the iPad team is distinct from the iPhone team and neither of them necessarily are in on what the software guys are doing that doesn't relate directly to the hardware engineering.

Whether they knew about FaceTime being in development or not doesn't change that the decision not to include a camera wasn't based on size, power, or really anything else. It also makes no sense whatsoever to claim that they thought adding a crappy camera was going to entice more people later on in the iPad 2 than it would annoy by omitting in the first iPad.

Except that it's not. It has similar specs but it's not like someone just sat down at the iPad 2 parts bin and taped together a mini. Almost no actual parts are shared between the two products. I would expect to see audio processing hardware much more similar in the mini to what appears in the iPhone 5 or iPod touch than the iPad 2.

You seem to like collapsing things into a single dimension. It's not that simple.

Heh someone who seems to get it. Almost what I was typing at the same time I was typing it

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
That's not what I'm saying. I'm not pitching scaling up from 1024 x 768. I'm talking about scaling down from full-sized iPad retina: 2048 x 1536. Unless I'm missing something, scaling down to- say- 82% of the resolution should work as good as scaling down a 1080p movie to fit- say- a 1024X768 screen now (only my suggested scale would not be nearly so much and would maintain the exact same full-size retina aspect ratio).

You're point is about points. Could the pixel resolution scale to about 82% but the point model work in fractions? In other words, can it definitely NOT work or could the pixel resolution slide down to- say- 1679 X 1259 for a iPad Mini 2 while the point system just adapts to approx. 82% of full-sized iPad retina points. If the coordinate system is just the model to track where buttons begin & end, it seems like this could work. Graphics would be just as sharp- just smaller- and coordinates would just scale accordingly.

Conceptually, this would be like taking a full-sized iPad with retina screen and trimming it down to 7.9" for an iPad Mini 2. This would lop off a bunch of pixels in both dimensions and result in a screen that is about 82% of the original. That yields the same ppi metric (the remaining pixels would still be packed in exactly as before) only a smaller resolution (to about 1679 x 1259 rounded up or down a few points to get it exactly right for byte sizes, etc.

Or maybe the coordinate system must be integer based (no fractions)? I'm not a iOS developer, so I don't know. I just have a harder time imagining the iPad Mini 2+ has only 2 options for a new display- stay at 1024 x 768 or double to 2048 X 1536. Nobody expects the former. Everybody expects "retina" for version 2, but if 2048 is the ONLY option for retina, then the iPad Mini 2 will have the sharper screen vs. the iPad 5 (pixels will be more densely packed). I just don't see the smaller, cheaper iPad ending up with the (arguably) sharper screen.

So, if we assume THAT, then maybe Apple officially picks another size somewhere in the middle. Does that mean the coordinate system of points requires a big overhaul to support a new Apple-selected retina screen resolution somewhere in the middle? If Apple picked iPad Mini 2 resolution around 1679 x 1259, what happens?

You're still not getting the distinction about iOS screens being mapped to points not pixels.

It works if you scale a movie because most screens work in a 1:1 ratio - a 1920x1080 screen really has 1920x1080 'points'. If you scale that down to a smaller screen, you are able to retain quality because you retain the 1:1 ratio - the file is just down-converted to a lower resolution and then displayed with that many pixels. This works very well for pictures and movies.

With iOS's point system, this doesn't work. Each point is defined by a mapping to pixels. Again, a non-retina screen has a 1:1 mapping - on an iPad, that's 1024x768 pixels and 1024x768 points. On a retina screen it's a 2:1 mapping - again, on an iPad, that's 2048x1536 pixels and still 1024x768 points. This is why the screen is so sharp. 2 pixels = 1 point.
I'll say it again because this is the crux of the issue - a retina iPad does not have 2048x1536 points to work with, it is merely displaying content with 1024x768 points with extra clarity because it uses more pixels to draw the same points.

You can't scale that to 1679x1259 because you only have 1024x768 points to work with. That's what all iPad apps are designed with; they are not designed to scale down because they don't assume a 1:1 mapping to screen pixels. In order to display your proposed resolution, you'd have to be able to map the 1024 vertical points to 1.6396... pixels, and you can't activate a fraction of a pixel.

Now there IS a way to do what you are talking about, in fact this is exactly what Apple is doing in the existing retina Macbooks. Natively the 15" model has a panel 2880x1800 but everything is scaled as if it were 1440x900 (same 2:1 mapping as in iOS). They do, however, offer options to render the desktop at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 giving you more useful workspace. However, in order to do this, they must perform some trickery.

From this article at Anandtech:

If you select the 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200 scaling modes, Apple actually renders the desktop at 2x the selected resolution (3360 x 2100 or 3840 x 2400, respectively), scales up the text and UI elements accordingly so they aren’t super tiny (backing scale factor = 2.0), and downscales the final image to fit on the 2880 x 1800 panel. The end result is you get a 3360 x 2100 desktop, with text and UI elements the size they would be on a 1680 x 1050 desktop, all without sacrificing much sharpness/crispness thanks to the massive supersampling. The resulting image isn’t as perfect as it would be at the default setting because you have to perform a floating point filter down to 2880 x 1800, but it’s still incredibly good.

As you might expect, this takes a massive amount of power as the system is having to render 4x as many pixels as it was ever intended to. Apple put a ton of work into getting this working in the Macbook line, but even still if you choose those resolutions that are not direct multiples, performance and image quality starts to suffer. In order to do this on your hypothetical 1679x1259 pixel display, it would first have to render the display at 3358x2518 and then downscale the image to fit on your 1679x1259 panel.

Eventually the graphics power needed to perform this kind of work will be available on the mobile platforms, but I wouldn't count on it for next year. Maybe a couple of years from now.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
2 pixels = 1 point.
no, it's 4:1

Now there IS a way to do what you are talking about, in fact this is exactly what Apple is doing in the existing retina Macbooks. Natively the 15" model has a panel 2880x1800 but everything is scaled as if it were 1440x900 (same 2:1 mapping as in iOS). They do, however, offer options to render the desktop at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 giving you more useful workspace. However, in order to do this, they must perform some trickery.

From this article at Anandtech:

As you might expect, this takes a massive amount of power as the system is having to render 4x as many pixels as it was ever intended to. Apple put a ton of work into getting this working in the Macbook line, but even still if you choose those resolutions that are not direct multiples, performance and image quality starts to suffer. In order to do this on your hypothetical 1679x1259 pixel display, it would first have to render the display at 3358x2518 and then downscale the image to fit on your 1679x1259 panel.
No, I'm not sure you're doing it right.

As you point it yourself, iPad apps are made on 1024x768 pts, for screens of 1024x768 or 2048x1536 px. Then, why would you scale up 1024x768 pts to 2x his hypothetical physical resolution, to then scale it back down to his 1679x1259 screen?

If you want to make an analogy with the highest resolution on the rMBP, you take a 1536x1152 screen (i.e. 75% of the retina iPad res, just as the physical 2880x1800 pixels of the rMBP screen represent 75% of the 3840x2400 res) and scale down the 2048x1536 resolution on the physical pixels of the screen.
And by extension, what about any screen with a high enough intermediary resolution under 2048x1536 px, and a high enough pixel density to smooth it all?

Last edited:

clyde2801

macrumors 601

Oooh, good point. The only rebuttal I have to that is two words: Steve Jobs.:rolleyes:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The screen was never a deal breaker for the iPad 1 or 2, so I don't see why it would be here.
The screen was never a deal breaker when there had not been any retina or HiDPI displays on any iPads or tablets.

----------

I get that. However, a lot of the reviewers have also commented that it's still a beautiful display, even better than the iPad 2. I get that most a lot of us are spoiled by Retina displays, but being non-retina doesn't automatically make it ugly, unbearable, or even unusable. When the iPad 3 was released the iPad 2 stayed around because it was (still is) a great device. The mini probably should be cheaper, but being non-retina will not make it a bad device.

Of course 163ppi is better than the iPad 2's 132ppi. But it only brings you to the 3GS level.

----------

Exactly, it's so portable yet it has the power of an iPad. That's the selling point and that's making me think about getting rid of my iPad 3 for it.
The iPhone 5 is even more portable and has the power of your iPad 3 (not the iPad 2 level as with the mini) ;)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The thing you need to remember is that these buttons are blown up significantly. Zoom them down to the size on screen, and then see if you notice the difference.

Tell me if you notice it on this photo:

The reality is that is hardly noticeable.

---
Sorry here is the photo fixed.
Try text

maybe you can find in Apple's website for comparison with 163ppi and 326ppi ;)

----------

You brought up a good point, so people don't care about 100ppi monitors at work all day, but they get bent out of shape about 264ppi vs. 164ppi vs. 132 ppi? Put it in perspective a bit.

And, you can tell the difference, because pixel density is based on the screen shot. Your monitor for work should be able to portray the differences just fine, even scaled down somewhat.

I don't care because I didn't pay for my work computer. My company pays me to use it. I couldn't care less.

Just did a little bit calculation and you're correct about the PPI. The computer monitor I use at work is 1920 x 1080 over 22" that's about 100ppi. The only difference is that I use it at about 2 - 2.5 feet away and I usually enlarge the websites a bit when I view it.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
no, it's 4:1

No, I'm not sure you're doing it right.

As you point it yourself, iPad apps are made on 1024x768 pts, for screens of 1024x768 or 2048x1536 px. Then, why would you scale up 1024x768 pts to 2x his hypothetical physical resolution, to then scale it back down to his 1679x1259 screen?

If you want to make an analogy with the highest resolution on the rMBP, you take a 1536x1152 screen (i.e. 75% of the retina iPad res, just as the physical 2880x1800 pixels of the rMBP screen represent 75% of the 3840x2400 res) and scale down the 2048x1536 resolution on the physical pixels of the screen.
And by extension, what about any screen with a high enough intermediary resolution under 2048x1536 px, and a high enough pixel density to smooth it all?

It's 2:1 in each dimension, 4:1 overall.

Read the rest of the post, the Apple documentation, and the Anandtech article to understand the rest. Non-integer scaling is possible, but it takes a ton of gpu power, a lot of battery power, and adds difficulty for developers. The extra upsampling is done because it reduces the number of visible artifacts.

There is no 2048x1536 in the traditional sense - there are that many pixels, but only 1024x768 points. This keeps things simple because each point is represented by 2 pixels per point in each dimension, which means everything remains the same size but is rendered sharper. To achieve your 75% you would either need to be able to activate 1.5 pixels in each axis, perform resource intensive non-integer scaling, or have developers add yet another target size to their programs, while breaking compatibility with everything that already exists.

Tell me this - how do you map 1024x768 points to a screen that is 1536x1152 pixels?

Edited, but I don't think what you changed has an effect on my answer here. I see what you are saying about the earlier example, but the point remains that doing that kind of scaling requires the kind of power that is not currently available in tablet gpu's - and as noted by Anand, still causes artifacts. In the case of the iPad, there aren't any actual 2048x1536 elements to downsize - that's the physical resolution of the screen but elements are sized in points, not pixels.

I'm not sure I understand the last sentence you added.

Last edited:

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
I last edited my previous post 30 minutes before your answer (no substantial change, only for clarity).
Please refresh your browser ... and edit your post accordingly, then I answer :D

Last edited:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
The screen was never a deal breaker when there had not been any retina or HiDPI displays on any iPads or tablets.

----------

Of course 163ppi is better than the iPad 2's 132ppi. But it only brings you to the 3GS level.

----------

The iPhone 5 is even more portable and has the power of your iPad 3 (not the iPad 2 level as with the mini) ;)

I think people are still missing the point. There is no argument that Retina is obviously better. That is fact, period. However, it is only ones a opinion on whether or not the iPad mini screen is terrible (or insert your preferred negative adjective here). I (as I believe most members here) are well educated on the "weaknesses" of the iPad mini, but I don't feel it's a deal breaker as I was completely satisfied with my iPad 1 and 2 screen regardless of the lack of Retina.

The iPad mini is the iPad I have always wanted. I realize the next version will be better. They said that about the iPad 1, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of it.

As for the iPhone 5... Let's remember that it's technically a $600+ device to start with. So, comparing it to the iPad mini or even an iPad is kind of silly. But if you really want to go ahead and do it anyways... All those specs, power, and pixels can't make it run tablet apps. :p

PS: Also, lets not forget that it's more than just pixels and comparing the iPad mini screen to a 3GS is silly. Several reviewers have already stated that the colors and clarity on the iPad mini screen are better than that of the iPad 2. Even when compared to high resolution/higher pixel count Nexus 7, it was also stated that the iPad mini produced better color and overall better screen despite the lower PPI.

Last edited:

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
It's 2:1 in each dimension, 4:1 overall.
I consider pts and pixels as surface unity, not length unity. It's already 2D.

Edited, but I don't think what you changed has an effect on my answer here. I see what you are saying about the earlier example, but the point remains that doing that kind of scaling requires the kind of power that is not currently available in tablet gpu's - and as noted by Anand, still causes artifacts.
Yes, that's probably not possible with actual CPU+GPU, even maybe with a A6X.

And I'm not saying that is a good solution for the future.
That sure would not give a perfect result for the end user. But that could be a transitional solution, allowing old apps to work before a switch to the new resolution (but then implications are huge: what to do with the 10" iPad? also move it to the lower retina resolution, to maintain app compatibility? unlikely).
I only posted to react to your post, as I was disagreeing with the way you were making the analogy with the rMBP.

Energy-savy screen tech + 2048x1536 screen for the iPad mini is probably the most logical future.

I'm not sure I understand the last sentence you added.
I just meant, it works with a physical resolution at 75% the (yes, virtual) 2048x1536 px resolution, but 80% or 66% could maybe do it as well.
But yes, still with artefacts.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Guys,

If it's not ready its not ready yet.

Seems no one has pointed out Battery.

Including a retina display would eat up the battery allot faster at that size.

It just may be a simple fact they wanted to keep the mini light and the battery life to 10hrs.

Which would you rather a mini with retina that you need to charge every 2hrs

Or a high quality display thats may not be retina but not that far off which can go for 10hrs.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
What's weird about the latest slew of apple products is, in the past when they have released products they were no contest game winners and were so in demand you couldn't get any. This round of tablet updates seems less stellar.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Yeh it would be nice that it had the Retina display first up, and I'm guessing Apple probably would have liked this also, however they would have carefully considered what was viable and chose the best option.

Perhaps iPad Mini 2 might have a Retina display. Gives everyone something to look forward to next year. :)

For anyone deciding for or against getting one, why not just buy the iPad Mini now then when the Retina version gets released sell your first gen, then get the 2nd gen. There will be buyers out there who will want a 2nd hand 1st gen iPad mini. :)

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
What's weird about the latest slew of apple products is, in the past when they have released products they were no contest game winners and were so in demand you couldn't get any. This round of tablet updates seems less stellar.

Every apple update has been met with derision. Original iPad? Overpriced iPod touch. iPad 2? Price gouging in smart covers. Magnets? How stupid. iPad 3? It's just a fatter iPad 2 and where's my NFC?

It doesn't matter what apple releases. Those people will find something to harp about, regardless of what is possible with tech today.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
the lack o retina on the mini is the reason I won't touch the thing, especially when it's so obvious it will be upgraded to retina next year

but you can't tell early adopters anything though

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
I have an iPhone 5, and a 15" mbp with retina. I'm buying a mini because that's the size and weight I want to carry. I'll just buy another when it gets a retina screen. I'm not going to give up what I want (size/weight) just because the screen doesn't meet your criteria, just like I don't expect you to change your criteria because of my requirements. It's almost as if we have different priorities and apple has different products to match. Who would have thought?

gravity010

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I feel that the next ipad mini wouldn't have retina just yet. If it was, then as some people have said, it would beat its big brother in terms of ppi. :) As i've read through the thread, a lot of people were drawn back and decided to not selling their ipad 3 and just stick with it because the ipad mini isn't retina display. then following that line, if ipad mini would have the retina display, it would eat a lot of potential ipad sales.. unless Apple is willing to go with that sales strategy, then it is just fine.

Also, since it is thinner and lighter, placing retina might jeopardize the battery life and may have heat issues (that a lot of people might complain about)

Maybe in the 3rd generation ipad mini we might see retina display.. :)

Just my two cents.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
This is why

The screen was never a deal breaker for the iPad 1 or 2, so I don't see why it would be here.

No dealbreaker when the iPad 1 & 2 came into this world because there was then no retina screen. Now there is a retina screen, and that makes screen of the iPad mini a sub-optimal screen, compared to other existing screens, that is. I think it can be this simple.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
No dealbreaker when the iPad 1 & 2 came into this world because there was then no retina screen. Now there is a retina screen, and that makes screen of the iPad mini a sub-optimal screen, compared to other existing screens, that is. I think it can be this simple.

"sub-optimal" does not make a dealbreaker for many...it's the people here who "decree" that that screen is a "dealbreaker for all" that is the problem..It just is not....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.