Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
If it was, then as some people have said, it would beat its big brother in terms of ppi.

I understand what you are saying, but if the iPad mini w/ RD ends up with ~324 ppi and the current new iPad w/ RD has 264 ppi, are people really going to skip the 9.7in and get the 7.9in iPad just for the ppi? At a certain point, it doesn't matter. The larger iPad will always have the better CPU and GPU, the larger screen, they can make sure it has more storage space...etc. to make up for the price difference. There are many ways to differentiate them.

No dealbreaker when the iPad 1 & 2 came into this world because there was then no retina screen. Now there is a retina screen, and that makes screen of the iPad mini a sub-optimal screen, compared to other existing screens, that is. I think it can be this simple.

Exactly. iPad 1 and iPad 2 were the standard tablets and there was no "standard" of RD in tablets. Apple has now set that standard and everything else is a compromise (whether cost, battery, supply...etc.).

"sub-optimal" does not make a dealbreaker for many...it's the people here who "decree" that that screen is a "dealbreaker for all" that is the problem..It just is not....

I don't think anyone is saying it is a "dealbreaker for all." Just that it isn't optimal and is a compromise. Each person needs to decide for themselves if they can deal with a pixelated screen.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
but you can't tell early adopters anything though

You could say the same thing about the early majority/late majority and of course the really dull ones, the laggards. But, if there's one group you'll never move, it's the laggards, believe me several of my friends are staunch members of this latter group.

BTW, without the early adopters, there would be no product for the rest who follow, so you should be kissing the feet of every early adopter and thanking them for having the audacity to find use and enjoyment in gen 1 products. :rolleyes:

gravity010

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I understand what you are saying, but if the iPad mini w/ RD ends up with ~324 ppi and the current new iPad w/ RD has 264 ppi, are people really going to skip the 9.7in and get the 7.9in iPad just for the ppi? At a certain point, it doesn't matter. The larger iPad will always have the better CPU and GPU, the larger screen, they can make sure it has more storage space...etc. to make up for the price difference. There are many ways to differentiate them.

Well basing it on the majority that I see from the threads here, people would really give in their full sized ipads for an ipad mini if the retina would come. You also have a point regarding the differentiation scheme that they might do. Just like in the iphone/ipod touch wherein some people say that the ipod touch is the same as the iphone but without the sms/calling feature but people still buy and love both products. Yeah, i guess you're right that they would always put much better specs on the full sized than the mini just like what they do on the iphone and ipod touch. Just thinking how the ipad sales will be affected if ever the ipad mini will go retina, that's all. :)

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
You could say the same thing about the early majority/late majority and of course the really dull ones, the laggards. But, if there's one group you'll never move, it's the laggards, believe me several of my friends are staunch members of this latter group.

BTW, without the early adopters, there would be no product for the rest who follow, so you should be kissing the feet of every early adopter and thanking them for having the audacity to find use and enjoyment in gen 1 products. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

enjoy the iPad 2 res, A5 chip and 512mb RAM in a tablet being released late 2012

53x12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
surf the threads - many are saying that.....

So if some are saying that, is that going to stop you from purchasing an iPad? What about all the Android guys telling you how your product is overpriced and has the Apple restrictions on it. Is that going to make it a "deal breaker" for you?

At the end of the day each customer needs to decide if it is the right product for them. All the forum offers is different opinions and ways to look at it. But you are buying it with your money, not ours.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
:rolleyes:

enjoy the iPad 2 res, A5 chip and 512mb RAM in a tablet being released late 2012

I will (as will millions of others, all of whom are not inferior or stupid simply because they choose to buy this gen 1 product, despite what you think), and when the next version is released, I'll sell my gen 1 tablet for not much loss, buy the new version and enjoy that one too. While we're enjoying our iPad minis, others who choose to forego this gen 1 product are free to sit idly by and thumb twiddle (while we enjoy our devices) or buy one of the other alternatives (while we enjoy our Apple devices). :p

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm waiting for a Retina display, got so used to it.

Especially for reading on.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I will (as will millions of others, all of whom are not inferior or stupid simply because they choose to buy this gen 1 product, despite what you think), and when the next version is released, I'll sell my gen 1 tablet for not much loss, buy the new version and enjoy that one too. While we're enjoying our iPad minis, others who choose to forego this gen 1 product are free to sit idly by and thumb twiddle (while we enjoy our devices) or buy one of the other alternatives (while we enjoy our Apple devices). :p

I'll be good with the iPad 4 tomorrow, thanks

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I'll be good with the iPad 4 tomorrow, thanks

A lovely and fantastic device. If I was looking for a full sized tablet, that's the one I'd get.

My mother has been looking at tablets for awhile, and was planning on getting one of the (cheaper) Android tablets, but I talked her into getting an iPad (she's got an iMac and two iPod Touches), so this week she ordered hers (with engraving!) and she is so excited, I just love how excited she is, and I know she'll love the device, as I'm sure you will.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
A lovely and fantastic device. If I was looking for a full sized tablet, that's the one I'd get.

My mother has been looking at tablets for awhile, and was planning on getting one of the (cheaper) Android tablets, but I talked her into getting an iPad (she's got an iMac and two iPod Touches), so this week she ordered hers (with engraving!) and she is so excited, I just love how excited she is, and I know she'll love the device, as I'm sure you will.

we shall both enjoy our shiny new toys tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.