iPad mini to start at 329$....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scott2345, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Scott2345 macrumors regular

According to 9 to 5 Mac the starting price for the 16gb will be 329$

http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/20/apples-smaller-ipad-to-likely-start-at-a-minimum-of-329-in-the-u-s/

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

If that's the base price it better have retina and iPad 3 internals.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'm saying, Lets hope so. Usally 9 to 5 Mac is on point. But something tells me that it won't have Retina. I sure hope I'm wrong.

----------

Sure is, the article even states that it may be higher the. 329$ if that's the case it has to have Retina.

5. blackbelter macrumors member

There could be a 8G version with lower price.

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So it being smaller makes it cheaper? The 7.85" retina display will surely be more expensive because it is over 300 DPI, versus 264 for iPad 3.

Without retina it does seem too steep, but what are we comparing to? Google sells an 8GB Nexus 7 for $199. 16GB for $249. And supposedly they are selling nearly at cost. Which means a non-retina 16GB iPad Mini at $329 seems about right.

7. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

ughhh... $50 overpriced for me

The nexus 7 and kindle fire are looking more appealing to me now.. have a decision to make

8. urkel macrumors 68030

Don't tell Apple, but I'll pay any price for an iPad Mini. For me, It's not about going cheap, it's about getting more portable.

9. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Now this is better to me. Isn't the history of Apple to price higher but deliver better hardware and software? Even if it kills the lower end a little, I'd rather see Apple stick to this pattern.

10. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

11. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Ditto!

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

13. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

I gotta make a choice iPad 2 at 400$ or a mini at 350$ that's including tax.

----------

Good point, for me the iPad will only be used at my house so I gotta consider whats best in specs iPad 2 or a mini.

14. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Its mainly for my daughter... it's mainly going to be used for reading, netflix, and angry birds lol

15. Quantus macrumors regular

16. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

In my case it will also be for my kids no music or photos for that I got my iPhone and my MacBook. The iPad will be loaded with games. Now I just want to see the specs on the mini to see which is better compared to the iPad 2. What I like about the mini is its size an weight for the kids.

17. Nate. macrumors regular

Nate.

Meh. A bit steep.

I'm hoping it'll have Retina, however. It might be a good buy at the right GB/size and with a Retina display. I still prefer the bigger 9" iPads, but I would at least consider a Mini if it had a Retina display.

And I agree with what someone else said, when has Apple gone cheap? :D

18. JSalig macrumors 6502

It's a mental hurdle. It becomes much less of an impulse buy when you're looking at a $350 price tag.

19. mantan macrumors 68000

The 32 gig Nexus 7 is expected to be released October 29 with a price of $299. The 16 gig will be $199.

I think there is a mental barrier between $299 and $399 for consumers. If Google's pricing comes through, I think the 16 gig would be lowered to $299.

20. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

For my part, I think the iPad Mini will probably sell for $400 just like the iPad 2 (which will be discontinued after the Mini is released) and that it will include a retina display.

The reason I think this will be the price is the iPod Touch. The 32GB Touch is $299, selling the iPad Mini for $329 will end up cannibalising iPod Touch sales. Who would get a Touch when for just $30 more you can get a Mini? Selling the Mini at $400 would make more sense.

21. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

Good point, the article does state that it may be higher then 329$ I hope your right cause a mini with a retina display would be so nice.

22. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

hahahaha, I KNEW this would happen, despite the many people on here apparently thinking Apple was going to change it's entire business plan for one device! Yeah a $200 iPad hahahaha.

I am going to go with $350 starting price though. And it better come with 16GB storage for that and a retina screen and an A6. I won't get one as it's too much, but to compete against the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD at Apples pricing policy it better offer the goods.

But I have always stated it will be expensive, why so many are totally oblivious to the entire history of Apples premium pricing as a result of it's entire business plan is beyond me.
    I did read today though that some people are stating it will come with GF2 touch screen technology on Apple Insider. No idea what it is?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...h-advantage-protect-mobile-device-marketshare

23. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I was hoping for 299 for the base model, just so more people would be interested. 329 sounds a lot higher than 299, just because of the psychological jump.

24. urkel macrumors 68030

Isn't it a bit premature to be bragging that you know everything? The product isn't out yet and pricing hasn't been announced so what exactly did you know that everyone else didn't?

BTW, people seem to be missing the fact that a RUMORED $329 is CHEAPER than the previous rumored price. The $249 rumor was based on an 8GB model with the 16GB going for $349. So if you look at it as Apple eliminating the 8GB model due to it being too small then this works out better for most users.

25. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I'm not bragging, I am intelligent enough it seems to realise Apple's entire business ethos, business model, pricing structure that it has ALWAYS USED!
    It's ludicrous to proclaim they are going to suddenly change it's entire business structure and plan just for ONE device. When EVERYTHING else it sells matchs it's same business plans.
    It's all wish full thinking to 'assume' it will be any different for any iPad Mini. That's fact, not big headed or bragging but fact. I mean it's not like the very expensive iPhone 5 or iPad 3 aren't selling in the millions is it? So again why would they change their very lucrative plan? If it ain't broke don't fix it.. it's used the same premium pricing business plan for practically it's entire business history, certainly since the 90's

And what makes you assume they are going to launch an 8GB model? No store inventory is going to be factual evidence what so ever as no store is going to know yet.