iPad mini iPad Mini: To Wait or Not?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Slyth66, Jul 23, 2013.

  1. Slyth66 macrumors member

    Jul 23, 2013
    I have a question that I have been pondering for months and could really use some advice.

    I want to purchase an iPad mini for school starting in August. However, I feel like if I bought one now I would be extremely disappointed that they come out with a greatly upgraded version soon (I don't care about Retina, just the internals). I managed to get a Zagg Keyboard case for the current Mini at a flea market for $10, which was a steal, and that alone almost makes me want to get the Mini now. I'm just wondering if it will also fit the updated one.

    So any advise? I know the rumors around the iPad Mini 2 are very diverse, just curious what you would do... wait it out or buy now.

    EDIT: I realize there are other threads like this now. However, mine is more focused on not caring if it has Retina or not and/or the fact that I already have a case for it that I really like (which is normally $90)
  2. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 14, 2013
    I just bought a second Mini this past weekend. If there is a rumored feature that you feel you'd like or need, wait for the next Mini. If the current model meets all the needs you have, buy one now. Best Buy reward zone members get a 60-day return period, so if you happen to be one (or know one), you can wait a few weeks and buy a Mini there. If the new one is announced during that time, and has real upgrades, then you have the option to return/exchange the current model. If the rumors about the new Mini having even more narrow bezels than the current model are true, your keyboard probably won't fit.
  3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020


    Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    Well, we dont know if the new mini will have the exact same form factor. Some say it may be thinner. But we wont know for sure.

    Ask yourself these questions:

    1) How will you feel buying the mini, and a new one coming out in (probably) October?

    -If you feel uncomfortable, you should wait
    -You're ok with it, you should buy it now

    2) Say you waited for the mini 2, and find out it wont fit the case.

    -Will you buy the mini 1 at a cheaper price then?
    -Will you buy the mini 2 and get a new keyboard/case?

    3) Since the release is not likely till (probably) October. Would you be able to go on through school without the iPad mini for a few months?

    4) Are you prepared to wake up at 6AM and wait outside an Apple store or Best buy to get the new one upon its release? (unless you aim for the 32/64GB models, those dont disappear as fast as the 16GB)

    Did any of these help you?
  4. Slyth66 thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 23, 2013
    I am a reward zone member. Do you have a link to somewhere on the site where they say this? Because if this applies to products that have already been opened/used, that would be absolutely perfect.

    EDIT: It seems you have to be a Reward Zone Premium Silver member to get this benefit :(
  5. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 14, 2013
  6. Slyth66 thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 23, 2013
  7. Tom2893 macrumors 6502


    May 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'm thinking about buying an iPad Mini too, I think I'm going to go for it.. theres a £20 off deal atm
  8. srkmish macrumors regular


    Feb 10, 2013
    What will u be using it for basically? Specify your requirements ,then i can suggest whether mini will be good enough for u or not
  9. Slyth66 thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 23, 2013
    Primarily note taking. I will do all of my hardcore video editing on my iMac (which I will purchase when the new one is announced, using a MBP now). But I want to be able to run apps such as iPhoto (smoothly). I just want it to stay up to date with iOS7 and possible the next one. Don't want it to become outdated and unsupported sooner than usual when purchasing the newest in a line of devices (with the Specs of an iPad 2 which is already becoming outdated for features, etc).
  10. Sputnek macrumors regular

    Feb 4, 2011
    Florida - Ohio
    Primary Use: Student

    I just bought an iPad mini today, 16 gb black. My primary purpose is to study pdfs for class / web browsing / stream video. If the retina comes out in october oh well. I'm content with what I got. (Posted this to boost your confidence if you should decide to purchase)
  11. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

    Sep 28, 2012
    If you can get by with a 16GB model, I think I would buy now. I have seen the basic 16GB models going for $40 off sometimes in ebays daily deals.
  12. charlituna macrumors G3


    Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    There will also be something better coming out. Get over that whole issue.

    What you really need to look at is if you need the iPad or not. If you truly need it then you will likely need it from day one. So buy it. If you don't need it but are merely using 'it might be useful for school' as a reason to get it, then wait.
  13. boomhower macrumors 68000


    Oct 21, 2011
    I bought myself and my wife one yesterday. Personally I imagine they will do an update this fall with the internals ala the S model iPhones. I don't think it'll hit until October which would leave you two months without the tablet.

    Also consider they are cheap. $329 for a 16GB. Worst case you can sell your old one for $200 so your looking at $130 to upgrade, pretty cheap.
  14. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

    Jun 26, 2010
    I swear I cry tears of blood seeing these threads come up again and again and again... :p
  15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    If you are just going to use it for note taking, then I'd go ahead and get one now. Any updates to the mini aren't going to make much of a difference for what you want to use it for.
  16. mcdj macrumors G3


    Jul 10, 2007
    Seriously, can't a mod just make one big "BUY NOW OR WAIT" thread?
  17. velt macrumors newbie

    Jun 27, 2010
    I was on the same boat. But decided to get a refurb mini instead. Ordered it few days ago. Just arrived today. ;)
  18. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

    Eddy Munn

    Dec 27, 2008
    Presume the next generation iPad mini, which is on due course, will likely be faster, and have a longer life support for updates.
    If that doesn't bother you, or you need one now, then get this generations model.
  19. ItsWelshy macrumors regular

    Jul 31, 2012
    128gb iPad Mini?

    I’m weighing up buying what to do iPad wise.

    I currently am iPadless, and am not in major hurry to buy one.

    I prefer the iPad Mini form factor, but need something that’s 128gb in storage, and not fussed about Retina Display

    Do you think the next iPad mini will have a 128gb option? If not, I might as well just get the iPad 4..
  20. allistera macrumors regular

    Sep 17, 2012
    IMO its far to late in the year now to get one. I was thinking about it in June and decided to wait.

    Just wait, you won't regret it.
  21. AppleRobert, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

    AppleRobert macrumors 603

    Nov 12, 2012
    Buy one now, try it and see how it works out for you.

    I have a cellular Mini and I do not care when the next Mini comes out cause I'm not biting. And I paid less for it than the current Mini without cellular.

    And this new Nexus may have Apple push back a new Mini even further. The specs are an eye opener for sure.
  22. Tom2893 macrumors 6502


    May 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
  23. cambookpro macrumors 603


    Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I'm waiting, but that's because I want the mini primarily for reading and watching films, so I would like a retina screen.

    However, if I wanted it primarily for note taking, I would consider getting maybe a refurb and selling it later if the upgrade was big enough. Shouldn't lose too much.
  24. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816


    Sep 17, 2012
    I'm going to but a refurb ipad mini and soon as the retina is available,like I can just walk into the store and buy one, then I will sell the refurb


    I'm going to buy a refurb ipad mini and soon as the retina is available,like I can just walk into the store and buy one, then I will sell the refurb

Share This Page