iPad mini iPad miniR vs iPad Air on blues + reds

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Afluffykitten, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Afluffykitten macrumors member

After wanting a retina ipad mini when the air was released and getting an air to try it, now I finally have both devices. I can honestly say that the screen color reproduction is enough to break the deal for me on the mini. I love the form factor, but compared to the air, the screen doesn't speak to me. The air's screen literally pops the content out in front of you. On the mini, it's as if they added another pane of filtered glass between you and the content.

2. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

Shot 1

Attached Files:

3. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

Shot 2

Attached Files:

4. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

don't want to add to the conspiracy, but ipad mini 3 will have full gamut/gold/fingerprint lol. In all seriousness, if I didn't have the iphone 5s and ipad 3, I probably wouldn't mind, but putting them side by side its quite clear.

To those who allegedly have the samsung rMini screens, are those any better with regards to gamut?

5. rovex macrumors 65816

Don't really understand why it's panned out this way. They got the gamut right on the 5/5s/5c and previous ipads, why couldn't the mini feature the same?

6. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

Shot 3

Attached Files:

7. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

Shot 4

Attached Files:

8. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

Shot 5

Attached Files:

9. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

What a difference... I'm happy I went with the Air

10. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I had the 1st generation Mini, and like the OP, I liked the form factor. I sold the Mini and bought the Air, not sure if I would keep it or exchange it for the Mini Retina when released. I'm constantly amazed at the Air's vibrant display. These pics and others tell me that my Air is the keeper.

11. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, same. Before the retina iPad Mini was released, everyone kept saying the screen was higher quality just because it has a higher pixel density. I guess that's not the case.

12. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

These pictures aren't scientific, but I guarantee you all that it really looks like this in real life, regardless of brightness level. It really is night and day, and using the airs beautiful display has spoiled my eyes like the first retina display I owned.

13. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Exactly what I'm seeing too. If we didn't see color reproductions that looked more vibrant on the previous devices (heck, even my iPad 3rd Gen from almost two years ago looks better), it might not be as big of a deal. But when you've seen it one way for so long, and then the latest and best looks worse (imho), it's harder to justify spending that kind of money.

It's like both you and your neighboring buying black cars, and you get them home, and put them next to each other, and realizing your's is more of a dark faded grey than a true black. Just doesn't look right...

14. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

It would be easy enough to ignore, but the unfortunate side effect is that translates to the entire experience across the device. Even browsing the web feels completely different, when different elements of webpages pop out at you etc. The colour reproduction on the air for deep colours is like chocolate cake. Thick and savory.

15. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

Mini left air right

Attached Files:

16. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i felt like websites were harder to read...and not necessarily due to size, but the contrast. I have an iphone so I'm quite used to reading on something small lol.

Looks like i will be returning for an air tonight, next time maybe hah

17. Heresiarch macrumors member

As someone who have used iPhone 4, 4s, and 5, the transition from the screen of 4/4s to 5 was shocking for me. 4/4s's originally very beautiful screen look just bland and washed out compared to 5. Especially with the blue and red.

Recently I've been suffering from the difficulty of making choices (in this case, Air vs Mini 2). Thanks to this thread (and many others regarding the gamut), I've made my decision. :)

18. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

First world problems: Buy 2 $500 iPads. One has a slightly less vibrant screen.

19. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I guess I'm in the rare minority that actually prefers the Mini's tinting to the Air. :eek:

20. roken macrumors regular

roken

Have an Air myself and just got a Mini R for my little one.

I was looking forward to "stealing" it every now and then for some gameplay time, but theres a huge difference as shown above, it's terribly washed out compared to the gorgeous Air screen. :(

For the avoidance of doubt, it's not something that becomes less apparent with more use, especially if you also have an iPhone 5/5c/5s which have far richer colour reproduction akin to the Air.

Darn shame...

21. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Ironically the mini has a better resolution than the air.. U can see pixelation on the air

22. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Do you mean pixel density? Cause the resolution is the same for both of them.

23. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Wrong... 326 rMini and 264 air

24. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

You don't seem to understand the difference between resolution and density.

25. THFourteen macrumors 6502