iPad or MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joeyneedshelp, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    ok, after reading through engadget's liveblog, I'm not THAT convinced about the oversized iTouch...
    So should i buy the MacBook instead?

2. 064629009 macrumors member

Yes.

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Go for the MacBook. The iPad looks like a leisurely device that won't offer you as much functionality.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

depends on your situation.

I use an iMac as my main computer but I need something for when I'm traveling and the ipad looks like it'll meet those needs just fine....cheaper, smaller, lighter than a macbook.....and did i say cheaper?

so for me the ipad is a better choice

5. SA16 macrumors member

I am in the same boat. I have an iMac that I use @ home, but I want something on the go. I think I am leaning towards the Macbook Pro though. I think it will fit my needs a lot better than an oversized iPhone (which I already have)

6. jphillips10 macrumors newbie

7. gothamm macrumors 6502a

hilarious.

man, what a lackluster event, with a lackluster product.

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Didnt take long for these threads to start :D Well your in for a bit of a wait if you want an iPad...

9. MuDPHuDStudent macrumors member

iPad = weak. To have any real functionality for productivity software (iWork) you need a keyboard. To have a usable (real) keyboard for the ipad, you're tied to a desk. Get a macbook.

10. sleyeu macrumors 6502

hmm...

wait untill the jailbreak, BTstack... and stuff like that, the iPad might have some interesting jailbreak features.

if you can wait 60 days + delivery+seeing the reviews of ipad and apps available, get ipad if its powerfull enough. internet connectivity anywhere in the world fors just under and macbook. hmmm haah hmm...

then again...

11. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

Yeah even the basic macbook will have more use. Go Pro if you can, but if you need something for on the go, and want to save money, the regular macbook is good enough.

I already have an iPhone, so why do I need a bigger one?

Oh and my netbook (eeepc 1000 HE) with Win7 is wonderful. Lets me get a lot done, and lots of girls admire it when they see it. So it has the sex appeal as well, unless they're looking at me? Is this feeling what they call confidence?

If Microsoft is gonna release their rumored reader, smack a front facing camera asap.

12. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

You'd be much better off with a macbook. It's better to have the power & not need it, then to need it & not have it. Macbooks are solid with USB ports & a camera. if you need to connect an HD. no problem. ETC

Most of all $999 & if you can use a student discount $949. I'm using a macbook pro 13". I take it every where I go. In fact I love it so much I was willing to buy a refresh today & give my old one to my sister. Paid $1049 & worth every penny.

13. celticgrid macrumors newbie

celticgrid

Go with the macbook. Today was so much about what the ipad doesn't do. The one thing it did do was disappoint.

14. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Wondering what you were expecting from the pad. Seems to be pretty much what was <mac>rumored. I'm not sure that the gap they say it fills is so real, but what else were you expecting that you would be so disappointed?

To the OP. Get a macbook first and then a pad later if you're one of those that have the cash. Might be a nice add-on but I can't see it making laptops obsolete. Course, I'm sure sooner or later I'll by one anyway. It's an Apple thing, so I'll have to have one.

15. shen macrumors 6502

Files?

my only concern about the iPad so far is a question of how it handles files and printing. will created documents in iWorks sync up or will they exist as files i can access other ways? can i save files from the web like pdf files from sites or do i need to surf to them each time?

if there is a simple way to save some basic files and view them later, and i can print from the iPad, i think people are missing an important market. Kids. My daughter is in 6th grade, and very soon she will need a more dedicated machine than sharing the family computer. With an iPad and keyboard dock and iWorks, assuming the file/print issue is handled, that is a very impressive first computer.... Sure beats my Atari 800 when i was the same age.

16. Ticklemyelmo macrumors newbie

I thought by now they would have a new model out for their macbook pro's, what's the deal?

17. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Grin. Yeah, that appletv sure seemed like a good idea. Good thing Loving Spouse has forgotten its even there.... :p

The pad will be fun, and it will fill a couch-surfing niche that the iphone is just too small for in our house of ageing eyes and plumping fingers.

To the OP - get a refurb macbook. If you fall in love with the pad later, you can always sell the MB and make most of your money back.

18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you want a Tablet you may consider the Modbook. Which is what I am leaning towards now, though I would wait until they have multi-touch support. Since there are many times I am on a job site where sitting down and typing is quite inconvenient. Plus the need for bootcamp or parallels support.

A Mac OS X Tablet that has been rumored on and off since 2003, not $500 to $700 to read a digital newspaper. Something that can run Quickbooks, Photoshop, Office (not iWork with proprietary files that no one else can read), write handwritten notes that can translated to type for programs or left as handwritten pdf's, multi-tasking and well be a Macbook replacement.

I guess I'll wait for the prices of multi-touch tablets to drop and get a model that can be hackintoshed.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

MacBook. Don't waste your money on that pregnant iPod Touch they call the iPad.

20. segray macrumors newbie

What about an iMac and then a tablet? I'm in the same dilemma. I was confused, then decided MB, and now not so sure. I need portability but not like I need to carry an entire office around w/me.

21. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Macbook for sure,I tried for a while to use a iPod touch as my main portable and it couldn't do half the things I needed on the go,so a Macbooks a better choice for things like that,and now I have a Macbook. :)

22. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

The iPad strikes me as more of a supplementary/ancillary device - like an iPod - rather than a replacement for a laptop.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

exactly.....it's aimed at a different market and a different than a laptop. To think it's supposed to meet the same needs as a laptop does is to miss the point

it's definitely more of an improved Touch than a laptop replacement

24. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I think it's a laptop replacement for a lot of people. Not everyone needs the power and flexibility of a computer on the go.

I know that for me, the iPad basically does everything I wish my iPod Touch did. Except take pictures.