Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad OS 4.2 'Orientation Lock' to 'Mute Switch' Change Permanent

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the controversial changes in the upcoming iPad OS 4.2 was the change in functionality of the iPad's Orientation locking switch to a Mute switch.
...the physical switch on the iPad's side for locking the screen orientation has been repurposed as a mute switch. The change has been confirmed by posters in our forums.

With the change, screen orientation locking is now accomplished within the multitasking tray as on the iPhone under iOS 4.
According to a reader email from 9to5Mac, Steve Jobs reports that this will not be user selectable.
Q: In IOS 4.2 for iPad is the switch on the side going to be the mute and not screen orientation lock from now on?
Steve Jobs: Yep.
Q: Are you planning to make that a changeable option?
Steve Jobs: Nope.

Article Link: iPad OS 4.2 'Orientation Lock' to 'Mute Switch' Change Permanent

davidw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
New York City
This is retarded. I hate the software orientation lock, and I find myself using it extremely frequently. Meanwhile, the mute button is completely useless for someone like me, especially since it's easy to mute by simply holding down the volume button until it's off.

Comment

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Ugh... now I must choose.

Multi-tasking or Screen lock rotation...

Damn you, apple.

Comment

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This is so dumb, who the hell needs a mute button? what we need is the orientation lock! now i have to jailbreak it... great... thanks alot apple..

Comment

nilsemil

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
I dont own an ipad and prob never will but these sorts of really stupid decisions (not making it choose-able) is so hard to understand. Why?

Comment

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Wow, what a jerk.

100% rabid control freak. You know, kinda like their 1984 ad... :rolleyes:

Comment

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
It seems to me an orientation lock would be a lot more useful- especially if there's already a way of muting it. (And, you can always just turn down the volume...)

Comment

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I don't own an iPad, but this seems fine to me. Get used to it and stop complaining people.

Comment

ilikemonkeys

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2006
Not sure if this ever occurred to Apple but you can just press and hold Down on the volume switch. That puts it to mute, I don't need a switch right below. That orientation lock switch was probably my most used button on the device.

Comment

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Can we all stop bothering a very important CEO with ridiculous petty questions like this?

For the record, a mute switch is way better. I hate that emails make a tone when they come in in the middle of the night.

Comment

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
This is retarded. I hate the software orientation lock, and I find myself using it extremely frequently. Meanwhile, the mute button is completely useless for someone like me, especially since it's easy to mute by simply holding down the volume button until it's off.

It will be nearly as easy to use the software orientation lock. It takes the same two seconds. Although I understand the pain of the extra button pushes and swipe

Comment

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's complete bc (---- carp [swap the ar around to ra]). But, who cares? All people are going to do - and SJ knows this - is jailbreak; unfortunatly we have to wait for the jailbreak to come out and a developer to create it.

Comment

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Can we all stop bothering a very important CEO with ridiculous petty questions like this?

For the record, a mute switch is way better. I hate that emails make a tone when they come in in the middle of the night.
I just don't understand what's so inconvenient about holding the vol down rocker for 1.5 seconds to mute...

It's far less annoying than waking the device, double clicking the home button, swiping right and tapping the screen orientation lock icon.

Strange decision, as I thought the orientation switch was a brilliant decision. Oh well.

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It will be nearly as easy to use the software orientation lock. It takes the same two seconds. Although I understand the pain of the extra button pushes and swipe
I was thinking the same thing. Double click home > swipe to the right > tap lock. A few more steps but definitely not a hardship. On my iPhone 4 I use the mute switch much more often ... maybe that's because I'm on a iP4 though and not an iPad *shrugs*

Comment

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
This seems like the smallest most insignificant change ever.... sure I don't have an iPad (yet) but screen lock v. mute is that huge? Isn't the screen lock just turning to a virtual switch?

Where is the problem coming from? Just a physical switch preference over virtual?

I know on my iPhone I would be very annoyed without a mute switch, however the orientation...... not so big of a deal....

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.