Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I'd need something outside the box honestly. I'm pretty happy with my iPad air and will try to stick with it until it significantly slows down. A really nice active stylus or some other hardware feature that allowed more flexibility would get me to upgrade but the chances of that happening aren't great so I'm happy with what I have.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
1000 for an ipad? reallly........
After taxes and CA recycling fee, even the 128GB model costs me over $1K. :rolleyes:

Besides, I choose to look at it this way:
$83.33/month
$19.23/week
$2.74/day

Personally, the utility and enjoyment derived from my iPad is worth $3/day to me. It also helps that my car's paid off so I don't have to make $500/month car payments. :)

Also, the above values are if I replace the iPad after just a year. I expect it'll last me longer (unless Apple releases a 512GB model the next year).

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I don't care if it is more ram or ios fixes but the low memory crashes and tab reloads on the air can become absurd at times.

On my usage screen there are ~30 low memory crashes right now and I force close down to one or two apps max to try to help.

My wife's ipad mini has 512MB of Ram. It runs IOS 7 and never has any low memory anything. Has all apps opened all the time.

Your crashes have to do with 64bit and iOS 7, not ram.

The Tab reloads have nothing to do with ram.

----------

Those people who want more RAM are probably experiencing the Safari tab reloading problem.

Sometime in the late Fall, like October -November, if Apple sticks to previous release schedule.

again. Tabs reload. Even with 100GB of ram they will reload.

This is a software thing. Like every other device, when the iPad runs out of ram it will just dump things out of memory and make more room.

Android devices with 3gb of ram reload. My phone with 2GB of ram reloads. And that's with half a gig free in ram.

Now to make it more energy efficient and if iOS8 demands more ram, then they will put more and better ram (lower voltage)

Ideally, regardless of how much ram a computer has, the job of the OS is to fill up the ram as much as possible to 100% full because it is fatter for the cpu to work on things from ram.

So even if the iPad had 5gb of ram, iOS would fill it up too.

They can stop your moaning by a software change. Doesn't bother me on my phone or iPad

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
again. Tabs reload. Even with 100GB of ram they will reload.
Only if you have like a few thousand tabs open. So far, I've only gone up to ~150 on the desktop/laptop (2-4 windows with 20-50 tabs each) and for that, 8GB RAM + 1GB pagefile was more than enough. I believe Firefox used a combined total of less than 4GB for physical and virtual memory. :)

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Only if you have like a few thousand tabs open. So far, I've only gone up to ~150 on the desktop/laptop (2-4 windows with 20-50 tabs each) and for that, 8GB RAM + 1GB pagefile was more than enough. I believe Firefox used a combined total of less than 4GB for physical and virtual memory. :)

We're talking about iOS, not desktop operating systems.

Again this is an ios issue, not a ram issue.

Turn on Background App Refresh.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

My point is if desktop Firefox (which is a bandwidth hog) can work with no reloading for 150 tabs with actual usage of less than 4GB RAM (physical and virtual), then Mobile Safari on iOS should function just fine with 100GB (assuming there's no 200MB or so per app limit).

I realize you're exaggerating on the 100GB thing but even putting in 2GB and increasing the memory allowed for Mobile Safari should alleviate the frequent tab reload. It won't get rid of tab reloads altogether but it should make them occur less often. Using Safari on the iPad 4 w/iOS6 and iPad Air w/iOS7, the Air reloads tabs more frequently than the 4. That to me suggests increased memory footprint and it would be good if they also upgrade the hardware in order to compensate. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary. Just that it will improve user experience for heavy Safari users.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010

Turn on Background App Refresh.

Of course it's a RAM issue. A 64 bit OS takes more overhead because of the 64 bit pointers in memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing

The main disadvantage of 64-bit architectures is that, relative to 32-bit architectures, the same data occupies more space in memory (due to longer pointers and possibly other types, and alignment padding). This increases the memory requirements of a given process and can have implications for efficient processor cache utilization.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Of course it's a RAM issue. A 64 bit OS takes more overhead because of the 64 bit pointers in memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing

The main disadvantage of 64-bit architectures is that, relative to 32-bit architectures, the same data occupies more space in memory (due to longer pointers and possibly other types, and alignment padding). This increases the memory requirements of a given process and can have implications for efficient processor cache utilization.

I've said that a thousand times. Of course 64bit requires more memory.

That doesn't say that the iPad Air needs more memory or that it will fix any issues.

Again the job of the op is to fill the memory to 100% whether you have 1gb or 4gb or 8gb.

Sure, it may run faster with more ram, if it needs more ram to be faster. But it doesn't mean it'll fix any issues with crashing or tabs reloading.

----------

My point is if desktop Firefox (which is a bandwidth hog) can work with no reloading for 150 tabs with actual usage of less than 4GB RAM (physical and virtual), then Mobile Safari on iOS should function just fine with 100GB (assuming there's no 200MB or so per app limit).

I realize you're exaggerating on the 100GB thing but even putting in 2GB and increasing the memory allowed for Mobile Safari should alleviate the frequent tab reload. It won't get rid of tab reloads altogether but it should make them occur less often. Using Safari on the iPad 4 w/iOS6 and iPad Air w/iOS7, the Air reloads tabs more frequently than the 4. That to me suggests increased memory footprint and it would be good if they also upgrade the hardware in order to compensate. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary. Just that it will improve user experience for heavy Safari users.

Again. My phone has 2gb of ram. It reloads the pages in Chrome or the stock browser. When I check my ram I have over half a gig of ram FREE. Empty.

I have 8 tabs opened. It is reloading pages. I have a pile of apps opened. I never close anything. I have near 500MB free in memory right now.

If you have an app in the iPad that can check availability memory, check it and see.

If Apple thinks it will run better or IOS 8 needs more ram to run smoothly then they will add more ram.

Last edited:

roguefury

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
When they first came out, I thought I'd find myself in an annual refresh cycle iwth the iPad. That was true, for a while, and eventually that refresh made it over to the iPad Mini.

That being said, I just don't see the huge shift this year that would drive me to refresh. If I were to refresh, at minimum, I'd expect more RAM, more CPU memory to reduce safari refreshes, fingerprint ID, better camera, lighter (doubt this will happen, but who knows)....

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
When they first came out, I thought I'd find myself in an annual refresh cycle iwth the iPad. That was true, for a while, and eventually that refresh made it over to the iPad Mini.

That being said, I just don't see the huge shift this year that would drive me to refresh. If I were to refresh, at minimum, I'd expect more RAM, more CPU memory to reduce safari refreshes, fingerprint ID, better camera, lighter (doubt this will happen, but who knows)....

I want apple to put 3GB of memory in the next ipad. That way when you start seeing safari refreshing pages again you'll stop saying that.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Again. My phone has 2gb of ram. It reloads the pages in Chrome or the stock browser. When I check my ram I have over half a gig of ram FREE. Empty.

I have 8 tabs opened. It is reloading pages. I have a pile of apps opened. I never close anything. I have near 500MB free in memory right now.
From my observation, Apple appears to raise the allowed per app memory limit when they increase RAM in hardware. I expect the same will happen if/when they increase RAM to 2GB. Again, I'm not saying it will get rid of tab reloads but increasing the physical memory and the per app limit should make them less frequent. Alas, the only feasible fix for this is to create a temp/cache file and I can understand why Apple wouldn't want to go that route.

P.S. I'm showing 95% used, 50MB free.

Last edited:

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I've said that a thousand times. Of course 64bit requires more memory.

That doesn't say that the iPad Air needs more memory or that it will fix any issues.

Again the job of the op is to fill the memory to 100% whether you have 1gb or 4gb or 8gb.

Sure, it may run faster with more ram, if it needs more ram to be faster. But it doesn't mean it'll fix any issues with crashing or tabs reloading.

-

You're seriously not making any sense here. What makes things run faster is the processor speed not the amount of memory. When Safari crashes on my iPad it generates a low memory log file. Tabs reload because of the aggressive memory management that is implemented in IOS because of the 1 GB memory limitation. Anandtech documented these issues nine months ago and nothing has come up to disapprove it. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I never understand these "more RAM" posts. What is it that you are doing that leads you to believe that you need more RAM in your devices?
Safari constantly reloads tabs - even when I'm only switching back and forth between two - or it crashes because it is out of memory.
Moving to 64-bit means that the iPad Air has less available memory for applications than the iPad 4 before it. (64-bit uses approximately 25% more memory)

I find myself using the iPad a lot less frequently now, since the browsing experience is so poor.
Another issue is that applications are basically never in memory when switching now, so it's very slow to respond when swiping between apps.

My wife's ipad mini has 512MB of Ram. It runs IOS 7 and never has any low memory anything. Has all apps opened all the time.
It's also a 32-bit device drawing a quarter the resolution of the iPad Air.

Your crashes have to do with 64bit and iOS 7, not ram.
iOS does not gracefully handle running out of memory. Instead of doing things like paging to disk, when you run out of RAM the app just crashes.

The Tab reloads have nothing to do with ram.
Tabs reload. Even with 100GB of ram they will reload.
It is both a software issue, and a RAM issue.

Software: rather than clearing the contents from RAM, they should be saved to flash so that the tab can be "resumed" rather than reloaded.

RAM: More RAM would prevent the tabs being dumped out of memory in the first place.

What is wrong with a laminated display?
The problem is that the current display is not laminated.
Most other tablets are these days. It greatly reduces reflections/glare, increases contrast, and would stop the iPad Air from feeling "hollow" due to the thin glass. (compared to previous models)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I suppose split screen ability would probably be the only thing that would make me upgrade. Having touch ID, more ram and a faster processor would be nice but not really an incentive to upgrade.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I hope the iPad Air 2 will have more RAM for a different reason: True multi-tasking support. This definitely requires more RAM.

Come on Apple, just throw an extra 1GB in there to give your software some much needed breathing room.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I hope the iPad Air 2 will have more RAM for a different reason: True multi-tasking support. This definitely requires more RAM.

Come on Apple, just throw an extra 1GB in there to give your software some much needed breathing room.

I really hope the iPad Air 2 comes with more RAM. That will stop the Safari tabs from reloading all the time. It is really annoying.

----------

Safari constantly reloads tabs - even when I'm only switching back and forth between two - or it crashes because it is out of memory.
Moving to 64-bit means that the iPad Air has less available memory for applications than the iPad 4 before it. (64-bit uses approximately 25% more memory)

I find myself using the iPad a lot less frequently now, since the browsing experience is so poor.
Another issue is that applications are basically never in memory when switching now, so it's very slow to respond when swiping between apps.

It's also a 32-bit device drawing a quarter the resolution of the iPad Air.

iOS does not gracefully handle running out of memory. Instead of doing things like paging to disk, when you run out of RAM the app just crashes.

It is both a software issue, and a RAM issue.

Software: rather than clearing the contents from RAM, they should be saved to flash so that the tab can be "resumed" rather than reloaded.

RAM: More RAM would prevent the tabs being dumped out of memory in the first place.

The problem is that the current display is not laminated.
Most other tablets are these days. It greatly reduces reflections/glare, increases contrast, and would stop the iPad Air from feeling "hollow" due to the thin glass. (compared to previous models)

Again. My phone reloads with 500MB memory free.

64bit not 64bit. Whatever. We are talking about whether it is running out of ram because 1gb is not enough.

Retina. Not Retina. This that and the other. Doesn't matter. What matters is, IS IT RUNNING OUT OF memory.

If you have an app that can tell you, go ahead and load up Safari. Start browsing. When you see it reloading tabs, fire up the app, check how much available memory it has and post it here.

Stop talking about it and start being about it. Otherwise we will just keep going back and forth forever.

You're all saying tabs reload because the iPad runs out of ram. So show me it is out of ram and then we can talk.

If the apps are never in memory as you say, then that's the issue I was talking about. If 1GB isn't good enough to run ios anymore then yes. Put more.

Last edited:

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
-touch-ID and more processing power (which should be 100% expected).

-More RAM...of course (I always think that more RAM always has positive effect for Apple product, mac or iOS. Is it THAT expensive to add up some more RAM for iPad?)

-better display panel. Somehow iPad Air's display does not feel very solid compared to its previous gen. There's a hollow feeling when you knock on it. Surprisingly iPad Mini does not have similar issue.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
-touch-ID and more processing power (which should be 100% expected).

-More RAM...of course (I always think that more RAM always has positive effect for Apple product, mac or iOS. Is it THAT expensive to add up some more RAM for iPad?)

-better display panel. Somehow iPad Air's display does not feel very solid compared to its previous gen. There's a hollow feeling when you knock on it. Surprisingly iPad Mini does not have similar issue.

The new iPad will be like the iPhone. The glass and lcd will be fused as one, so it'll be as solid as the iPhone.

That hollowness is the separation between the glass and the Lcd underneath

I agree that you should put a much ram as you can put. Because. Why not. More future proof.

If iOS8 demands it, they will increase.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
The new iPad will be like the iPhone. The glass and lcd will be fused as one, so it'll be as solid as the iPhone.

That hollowness is the separation between the glass and the Lcd underneath

I agree that you should put a much ram as you can put. Because. Why not. More future proof.

If iOS8 demands it, they will increase.

I agree with you until I see "More future proof" and I think to myself...maybe Apple does not want its product to be so future-proof that it will discourage us to upgrade.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I agree with you until I see "More future proof" and I think to myself...maybe Apple does not want its product to be so future-proof that it will discourage us to upgrade.

This is why I am not getting an iPad Air now. People always say just get it now, it will be the same.

Yea right.

You always get the brand new product. The iPad Air 1 may be obsolete next year.

Maybe ios will push the demands much higher and in a year the iPad Air will run like crap (if you want to keep up with updates )

Anyway. I'm doing the right thing. I'm just waiting patiently even though I'm still without a computer, to see what this new iPad will be.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything from Apple right now.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
The thing about the RAM is that people with the iPad 2! once they updated to iOS7 they complained about the same tab reloading issue. Yesterday it was fine with iOS6, then I updated to IOS7 and now it is reloading like crazy.

So, I just don't want to say, tabs reload because the iPad Air has 1GB of ram and it's 64bit.

People have been reporting this reload bug with iPad 2 on iOS7. So just dumping this issue on the Air 1GB and 64bit is silly.

I bet they'll fix it in the final version of iOS8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.