iPad Owners - Don't Set Yourself Up for Disapointment

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrt209, Mar 21, 2012.

1. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Im going to keep this brief because I'm typing this on my iPad, but for those of you who are planning to purchase the new iPad or just bought it, don't set yourself up for disapointment like I have done over the years.

Don't go and proactively look for flaws in the new iPad like yellow tint, backlight bleeding, heat issues, or even stuck pixels, because if you do you can be sure you'll find them (Apple isn't perfect). Instead of testing your iPad for backlight bleeding immediately when you get the device, just use it as you normally would for a week or two, and If you do notice anything and it really hampers your daily use then return it. Do it that way because most of the time you won't notice any of the issues reported by other users during your everyday use of the iPad.

But, when check for things like backlight bleed with the screen on 100% and a black screen, you'll of course find light leakage, and once you know it's there it'll of course bother you during regular use even though it probably wouldn't have. The first thing I did when I got this iPad was to test for yellow tint and backlight bleeding, and of course mine has both issues and now it bothers me. But, when I get my replacement I'm not many the same mistake again.

Just my 2 cents.

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

I agree to a point. Had a small scratch on the back of my iPad 2 and dust under the screen when I got it during launch last year. Decided not to go through the hassle of returning it (in part because supply was very low where I lived) and just stopped thinking about it. Hasn't bothered me at all since.

Having said that, I would still check for dead pixels. Light bleed shouldn't really bug anyone much unless you like watching movies in the dark with brightness set at 100%.

3. jicka macrumors member

I agree ignorance is bliss and I was loving my new iPad during the day with my screen really bright. As soon as I started surfing the web that night it was pretty obvious that half the screen was yellow and half wasn't though. I haven't even checked for light bleed or dead pixels I really don't care but the half yellow screens are pretty obvious.

4. Le Buzz macrumors member

Every Apple product has flaws. It's up to the individual to decide which flaws are acceptable, as with everything in life.

With that said, I usually inspect any product, not just Apple, right when I buy it so that i don't discover a flaw that I'm not going to be able to live with after the return period has already passed.

I do acknowledge that there are going to be some flaws in every single iPad, and I don't intend to return an iPad if it has flaws that I can live with. I do manage my expectations though.

5. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Loving mine! I haven't looked for flaws, but I've been using it several hours a day since release and haven't noticed anything. Seems damn near perfect.

6. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

I can agree to a point. With the $$ I'm spending, though, I would want to make sure it was perfect at the sale and from then on whatever happens happens.
    Same with a new car. You wouldn't accept it with a scratch, ding or a headlight malfunction.

7. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

How do you test for yellow tint? I would imagine you'd just see it. Also when I got my iPad 2 the light bleed was apparent under 50% brightness.

I think you should test it since it may be a while until you fall into a reason to see it and then where are you? At the same place that you'd be if you just checked. Whenever I buy something I look it over and make sure it's working. I have no clue why this should not be the case with Aplle products.

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I opened mine, turned round and gave it the once over. Turned it on and enjoyed.

I'm not sad enough to go out of my way to turn the brightness up 100% sit in a dark room....... on one leg......... chanting.

Does it have flaws? Dunno.

9. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

It probably does. You know you want to check it. Do it.:p

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

:d

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

But nothing is perfect. Cars aren't either.

12. The Bogeyman macrumors regular

The Bogeyman

My iPad has 2 major flaws.

One......it is too awesome. I can't put the bloody thing down.

Two......the bundled charge/dock cable is far too short.

First world problems......! :D

I think mine must be made well, cos I can't see any of the problems with it some people are getting. The screen is crisp and bright. I don't understand what "light bleed" is, but I can't see any problems with mine. It doesn't overheat, I don't feel like it's burning my fingers, it connects nicely with WiFi (much better than my awful BlackBerry does). As a complete noob, I'm loving it. My expectations were probably not as high as some I will admit, but I'm delighted with my new toy!

13. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Mine was a little redish when I got mine but I was also the one asking everyone to just calm down and tollerate a less than perfect screen. Anyhow yesterday I just happened to have my iPad with my and close to the Apple store so I had a chance to compare my screen with the ones they had on display. There was actually quite a big difference. My whites looked yellow compared to the other iPad 3s. So I asked one of Apples staff to take a look at mine and they noticed other flaws like a red band along the top of the screen that I had missed. They said it had quite serious flaws and had no problem doing an instant replacement. I asked for the replacement to be fired up (since they needed to keep the box since mine was at home) and the whites on the replacements were beautiful and flawless and the colors really did pop compared to my old screen.

My advice is dont over react but compare you screen to other at Apple, assure yourself that you have a great screen, it may not be perfect and it is a bit of a lottery. I apologised for being fussy but Apple themselves said these are expensive machines and they wanted us to be happy with our purchase. I couldnt be happier and this is why I keep returning to Apple over other competitors.

14. aoifeee macrumors member

Well said. You will stop noticing things like the yellow tint after a few days anyway.

15. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Those are also pretty obvious things to the naked eye. As the OP stated, there are obvious flaws and those we go looking for. ( one dead pixel)

While no one should accept glaring flaws in quality in any item we pay good money for, there also needs to be some acceptance that nothing is 100% perfect all the time. Some of the posters on this forum seem to have an unrealistic level of expectation.

16. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

I noticed the uneven colouration on my iPad before I heard/read about it from anyone else. I wasn't looking for trouble, i just happened to notice it in normal use (actually, the Macrumors site colours make it quite noticeable).

That said, it's not a big enough deal for me to be bothered taking it back.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

Spend a ton of money on a product. Keep expectations low. Make excuses for any potential issues. Got it. :rolleyes:

Nobody on the Lexus Forum is encouraging other Lexus owners to look the other way if something on their new car doesnt look right.

I spent nearly $2000 on 3 iPads that are all pretty awesome. But until Apple starts giving us products for free then I have no problem with people obsessing over build quality or potential flaws because, unlike cars, we actually get a return policy.

18. doboy macrumors 68000

One dead pixel out of 3 million+ is unacceptable?:confused: I doubt most won't even notice that one pixel.

19. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I really didn't have to check for anything. The moment I went into Settings, the yellow top half of my screen and the yellowish, reddish, grayish splotches on the bottom half went through my eyes to my brain which registered that something was very wrong :)

I can't wait for stock to replenish locally so I can try again!

20. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'm with you. I've had all three versions (original, 2, and current) and I've been delighted with each one. I've had no battery issues, no yellow issues, no dead pixels, no heat issues, no issues at all. The only thing I had to do was make sure I canceled the first month of LTE that I got to play with, and will only renew when needed, because it is SOOO tempting to spend all my time on LTE burning through data like there's no tomorrow. :D

I'm particularly befuddled by the battery issue. I don't understand what people are looking for - the dang thing lasts for hours and hours, and then when it is low, all they have to do is plug it in and find another way to live their life until it recharges (sleeping is one option).

21. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

If I buy any big new purchase (tablet, guitar, car) I always look over it pretty good for noticeable flaws. I am not saying I obsess over it, but I don't want to just hand over $800 of my money without checking it out first.

My iPad has a very small ding on the aluminum back. Came that way out of the box. But everything else is great. Slapped on a thin back cover case and called it a day.

22. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

I too lie somewhere in between.

I certainly don't want to obsess (although, it needs to be studied the thing that Apple products does to ones psyche) but there are some flaws I won't live with.

Ones mentioned in the thread itself are dust under the screen, dead pixels, and certainly not a dented housing.

I still have yet to open mine (will tonight, hopefully) but when I do I'll CASUALLY go over it and make sure all is well.

If I find issues back it goes, as I'll be doing my upgrade cycle every two years and don't want to be stuck wishing and wanting for a better unit.

Lastly, I do find that I really don't obsess the same way about my iPad as I do about my iPhone.

My .02

23. Carouser macrumors 65816

Set up a giant strawman, keep posting. Got it.

You misrepresent the point of the OP which is that people are actively looking for faults in the iPad. They zero in on something which isn't constant across each individual instance of the product, and then obsess over ridding themselves of this variation. (This is the point where you give examples of the extreme case of defects, but we're not talking about the extreme case, we're talking about people looking for something they can use to distinguish 'good' iPads from 'bad' ones which they never would have thought about if it weren't for the behavior described in the OP.)

For crying out loud, we've got people now evaluating their screens for colour accuracy as thought they're professional graphic designers at Pantone doing their final work on the iPad.

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I try not to look too closely. If I get 3 or more dead pixels on my iPad, it goes in for an exchange, because that's Apple's tolerance level. I'm not going in for one, because they are more likely to tell me to take a hike, and then I just wasted a lot of gas and time.

The only thing that REALLY gets to me is dust under the screen. I had a lot of trouble with that on my iPad 2, and it bugged the crap out of me because some of it was visible with the screen on. My iPad 3 doesn't have it, I don't have any dead pixels (so far) and my screen looks great. I'm sure someone here on the boards could nitpick the holy hell out of my screen and decide that it looks terrible. I'm not sure I know what exactly I'm supposed to be looking for as far as any tint problems.

25. mac jones, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

It's good that we have a few kindergarten teachers here, to give some instruction on the Fun pad, and what to expect.