IPad Owners, what do you dislike about it ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seble, Jul 10, 2011.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have decided thar my next apple purchase will be an iPad. What do you dislike about it and what could he done better?

Is it worth sticking it out and waiting for the next one/ iPad hd?

2. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

I think the camera is the only drawback that is in iPad 2.

Please edit the second question cause lots of people feel sick already having to answer the same question almost twice an hour :(

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

no bluetooth mouse support
    no flash support
    crappy cameras
    itunes oppression
    pdfs sometimes crash if not optimized correctly
    no usb
    no file tree access

i guess that about covers it for my gripes. glad i bought it, and after seeing all of its competitors, i'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

you can wait or buy it now, it doesn't matter, because the next shiny will always be better. just buy it when you want it and don't sweat it, especially since you are talking about waiting two months or more for a rumored ipad that you don't even know anything about.

4. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

Nothing, iOS is pretty good and perfect with a jailbreak.

And who cares about flash?

5. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

look, I'll be the first to say the iPad is the best thing since sliced bread, and up until recently I've never encountered a flash hurdle. But just an hour ago I was googling "south park season 15" and I came across a forum for the show. Browsing different threads about the possible end of the series led me to a link to an interview with Matt Parker and Trey Stone on John Stewart's website.

Couldn't watch it cuz it required flash :rolleyes:

So, as someone who doesn't care about flash, I cared in that moment. I surmise it is moments like these --random web browsing leading to a video or content that can only be viewed via flash -- that give credence to the flash argument.

6. jesterscourt macrumors regular

How exactly would a bluetooth mouse work with an iPad anyhow, as there is no visible cursor?

7. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Let me think...
    - iTunes dependency
    - No user available file tree
    - No Retina display

But either way, the iPad 2 is a fantastic device! iOS 5 will improve it further and resolve my first point. :D

8. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

I agree that there are some useful sites that require flash but it's very rare at the moment I think cause I may have only faced this like 1-2 times since I got my iPad and seriously it didn't piss me off at all.
    So I don't tend to list it as a major drawback and I think it's only a matter of time that either Flash is gone or Apple gets to support it.

9. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

My gripes are things I'm use to having on a PC and since the ipad is suppose to be a post-PC device, it isn't fair to fault the iPad for those so-called shortcomings.

That said, lack of flash support and a dedicated file system are my only gripes. Not sure how the two would seamlessly work on iPad, to be honest.

10. iThinman macrumors regular

Application addressable USB port.

If I could connect to a console port of a device, open up a terminal emulation app and start plugging away, I would have very little need for my laptop.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

-bluetooth mouse support
    indeed. we need a cursor. i think apple could manage this! i mention it because this is the one thing preventing me from using the ipad as a content creation device. i have the usb keyboard. i can do first drafts of papers on it, but editing with my gorilla arm and stubby fingers is a nightmare. it just isn't feasible, especially with deadlines. honeycomb doesn't have it yet (as far as i know) but i bet they do it someday.

-no flash support
    i get it. some people don't use flash sites, so it is a non-issue for them. that's cool. i don't like flash sites, and i don't want to use them, but i run across them on a daily basis in my line of work. it is very frustrating. in practice, this means i cannot rely solely on the iPad, because i never know when i will come across an evil flash site.

-itunes oppression and no file hierarchy
    using goodreaderusb i can sneak past itunes and access the ipad directly. wow! this is how it ought to be on all apps. i can easily move pdfs and file folders to the ipad now. my life is so much more pleasant. now, i want apple to wake up, drop the itunes tyranny, and let us make full use of our devices.

12. 62tele macrumors 6502a

ITunes "oppression" should be answered with ios5.
    I don't really get the mouse issue since it's a touch device.
    USB, file, etc is not part of the "vision" for Apple's mobile, post PC products. It seems that icloud begins to open the door for new ways to handle file management.

I love the device for what i do with it. It's my primary non-work computer.
    I would buy the iPad 2 in aheartbeat but my iPad 1 still does what I need.

13. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I seriously can't think of a thing I don't like about it. It works perfectly for my needs. I read all the other posts and the things other mention seem piddly to me- as if some don't understand what the device is.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

that's cool that it meets your needs. i understand that.

it doesn't meet all of mine, or any number of businessmen or researchers who are still looking for this post pc world steve told us was here. try writing a 35 page article, try downloading a pdf from a website and having it crash the app because it isn't optimized correctly (works fine on any computer), or try viewing your university's flashy website... yeah. i understand what the ipad is, and i think it hasn't reached its potential.

don't get me wrong. i love the ipad (as i said), but there is room for improvement.

15. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Wow after reading that post I feel like I just drove from Texas to Oklahoma by way of New York, Montana, Washington, California and Florida!

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

for a lot of things, yes. finally. i can break free of my computer. i have high hopes.

try producing a long document of any sort. the ipad is spectacular for the first draft. editing is a nightmare. and, if you write in multiple languages (all of my documents) things like switching keyboards or drawing characters on the screen is a major chore. the gorilla arm keeps me from getting stuff done. still not at that post pc world. i don't care about the mouse, as long as apple can figure out some way to make it possible for me to actually do content creation on this thing. touching it isn't working, and i agree with steve on one thing--styluses (styli) suck.

yeah. apple often seems to have a vision of what the world ought to be like, but for those of us who travel a lot in countries where we don't have internet access, in regions where we can't get a signal, and with lots of data, steve's vision is a nightmare of not getting stuff done. i am cool with steve having the vision, but i am not cool with being forced into a procrustean bed.

assuming small amounts of data (for free use) with an internet connection... icloud is wonderful. i am looking forward to it. but, again, apple is trying to fit me into a one-size fits all mold. real life doesn't work that way.

i love it too. but, it has a lot of limitations consciously imposed on it by apple. it is really too bad, because there is so much that is wonderful about the ipad.

17. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

USB Keyboard, Mouse, etc.... Now you're describing a laptop or PC. A tablet isn't supposed to have numerous peripherals, it's supposed to be used by itself. You're trying to turn a tablet into something it's not. It's not meant to replace an actual computer, it's more of a supplement or a very basic web, email device. I agree that not having flash support is just Steve Jobs being stubborn though and is an inconvenience for sure.

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

the ipad could be so much more than just a content consumption device. this isn't just my opinion, but it is steve's vision. steve has said we are headed into a post-pc era with the ipad. steve has said it is good for productivity. i drank the kool aid. but, i am not seeing his world. i don't think of the ipad as a computer--i just want it to be a content creation device like he promised.

i've got a collapsible keyboard that fits quite comfortably into my man purse, and i have usb keyboards at work and home. no reason to carry them around. the same goes for mice. what i don't have is a way to do content creation on the ipad. it works for little things, first drafts, and so forth. but, i am still tied to the laptop.

i enjoyed a week away from my laptop earlier this month, but i could only do it through very careful planning ahead of time so i knew i wouldn't be in trouble with my work just using the ipad. with a few more improvements i could finally break free from my computer... yes, i am hoping the ipad will (most of the time) replace my computer.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

Either you're confused of what the iPad is all about or have very strong misconceptions of what it's supposed to be. It isn't and was never meant to be a major content creation device and it's not marketed as such. In fact even Steve Jobs stated as such in the Apple key note announcing the original iPad.

It's meant to be a device that "sits"in between a mobile phone and a laptop/desktop computer. It's not meant to replace a computer and is not meant to provide the content creation/ production that a fully fledged computer allows.

If that is what you're expecting from it the. I would suggest the iPad is not the right device for you and maybe an 11" MacBook Air might be more appropriate.

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

• Weighs too much.
    • Battery too small.
    • Screen not wide enough for movies.
    • Doesn't come in any interesting colors.
    • Won't float.
    • Dents too easily.
    • Not worth much as scrap.
    • No 3D capability.
    • Its holographic projection doesn't work all the time.
    • A single speaker, not two.
    • No storage option above 64gb.
    • Doesn't frisbee very well.
    • Makes a crappy hammer.
    • Rattles a bit.
    • Doesn't flex enough.
    • Mine refuses to go into the bathroom.
    • They don't allow them at my local swimming pool.
    • $500 plus.
    • 4:3 screen ratio. So 1954!

21. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Why do you visit this site? Did people beat you up regularly when you were young?

22. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Sarcasm can escape people I guess?

Anyway, now that I have jailbroken my iPad, I have incorporated what I love about Android into the iPad and I now find it perfect!

23. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

The only thing I don't like about the iPad is that all the WebOS and Android users come over here trolling about their 2nd-rate devices.

24. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

So far, I haven't found anything I don't like...I have a 11" MacBook air and a 15" i5 MBP connected to a 27" ACD so I use the iPad as a content consuming device and it works quite well... haven't tried to use it for things it wasn't really designed to do so I have no complaints...

25. Anastacio macrumors regular

What I really want in iPad is 'user log-in' or 'passwords'.
    I really want to access my Numbers and Pages documents on it, watch my Calendar and such but I don't want others or guests to peek at it. Strange they haven't added it in a software update yet. =/