Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
the ipad could be so much more than just a content consumption device. this isn't just my opinion, but it is steve's vision. steve has said we are headed into a post-pc era with the ipad. steve has said it is good for productivity. i drank the kool aid. but, i am not seeing his world. i don't think of the ipad as a computer--i just want it to be a content creation device like he promised.

i've got a collapsible keyboard that fits quite comfortably into my man purse, and i have usb keyboards at work and home. no reason to carry them around. the same goes for mice. what i don't have is a way to do content creation on the ipad. it works for little things, first drafts, and so forth. but, i am still tied to the laptop.

i enjoyed a week away from my laptop earlier this month, but i could only do it through very careful planning ahead of time so i knew i wouldn't be in trouble with my work just using the ipad. with a few more improvements i could finally break free from my computer... yes, i am hoping the ipad will (most of the time) replace my computer.

It sounds like you need to pick the right tool for the job. The pocket fisherman wasn't designed to land a marlin.

Hey, wait a minute. Did you just say 'man purse'? Would you try to stuff your collapsible keyboard into your wallet? No, you picked the right tool for the job. In this case your murse.

Ahhh, disregard. I'm out!

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Besides the camera, and lack of file system support, the big thing for me is...

...the complete lack of voice to text integration in the OS as a whole, vis a vis Android.

Seriously, Steve Jobs, get out your frakkin' checkbook and make this happen if you haven't done so already. Don't try to say you can't afford it, we all know better.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
iOS is stale for me. I'd like to see a UI update.

I wish the screen were "retina" quality. Going from iPhone 4 to iPad is a constant reminder of the lower resolution in the iPad.

The only time having no flash bothers me is when I want to view imbedded video. Which, as much as I try to ignore it, is daily.

That said, I've used the other tablets and have a much bigger list of dislikes for them. The iPad 2 is by far the best for my uses and I love it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Having used a variety of operating systems it has proven to me that the grass is not always greener on the other-side. It makes me appreciate iOS for what it is.

Biggest gripe is the awful cameras which are just pointless existing being so incapable of producing a good shot.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Having used a variety of operating systems it has proven to me that the grass is not always greener on the other-side. It makes me appreciate iOS for what it is.

Biggest gripe is the awful cameras which are just pointless existing being so incapable of producing a good shot.

I read this a lot about the crappy cameras but in my experience with my iPad2, I find the cameras to be just fine for what I use them for which is remote video chat via FaceTime or (hopefully soon) Skype for iPad. The front-facing camera certainly seems to be good enough for "remote" video chatting and the rear for showing someone you're video chatting with something you are seeing (do you REALLY need HD for remote video chatting?)...
Now, if you wish to use/hold the 10" iPad as a point and shoot camera I can see where there would be a complaint but isn't the iPad a bit big for that purpose? :confused:
Personally, I prefer to use my Iphone4 as a point and shoot device when I am away from my proper Canon camera...but, that's just me...:)

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mostly the cameras are really crap and useless. Far too noisy.

The screen is bad compared with my iP4. Once you enjoyed the crispy retina you don't want go back.

The connector is a bit harder to use compared to iPad1. The design hits the function here.

One good thing compared to MBA: it has a backlit keyboard ;-)

I love and hug my iPad2 daily until Fall this year when the new one comes.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
The thing that bugs me is when browsing the web and sometimes you scroll faster than the ipad can render the screen!!! grrrrrr! (iPad 1st Gen owner)

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mostly the cameras are really crap and useless. Far too noisy.

The screen is bad compared with my iP4. Once you enjoyed the crispy retina you don't want go back.

The connector is a bit harder to use compared to iPad1. The design hits the function here.

One good thing compared to MBA: it has a backlit keyboard ;-)

I love and hug my iPad2 daily until Fall this year when the new one comes.

Well, the iPad also has backlit keyboard.

The thing that bugs me is when browsing the web and sometimes you scroll faster than the ipad can render the screen!!! grrrrrr! (iPad 1st Gen owner)

This happens on my iPad 2 when I read PDFs.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
Wow after reading that post I feel like I just drove from Texas to Oklahoma by way of New York, Montana, Washington, California and Florida!

I don't get it. Is that a south park reference, or...?

edit: oh ok, I get it now. You were trying to say I took a while to make my point? that's cool. Really burned me. Ouch.

Fail.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It sounds like you need to pick the right tool for the job. The pocket fisherman wasn't designed to land a marlin.

Hey, wait a minute. Did you just say 'man purse'? Would you try to stuff your collapsible keyboard into your wallet? No, you picked the right tool for the job. In this case your murse.

Ahhh, disregard. I'm out!

maybe you are right. perhaps i misunderstood steve and the vision he had for the ipad in a post pc world. if so, then i'll probably end up moving on to another device, because he and i don't see eye to eye. i want something that will enable me to edit drafts of my work--content creation.

people are hacking honeycomb and ios to use the mouse already, so it is technically possible. asus (apparently--i haven't had a chance to test this myself) has a the transformer pad that can sync with a bluetooth mouse now. when future iterations of google android are good enough for me, then i'll make the switch.

i love the ipad, and it is clearly the best device on the market today. but, tomorrow? we'll see.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Why would you want a bluetooth mouse for? There's no cursor. It seems like what you want is a laptop, not a tablet.

as i said before, i don't want a laptop, i want a tablet that enables me to create content. not just first drafts, but the ability to edit. the gorilla arm is a poor substitute for the mouse. i am sure steve can figure out how to put a cursor on the screen.

it's about flexibility. i don't need the keyboard and mouse all of the time, and the great thing about the ipad is that i can leave those behind. i can't read my laptop on the train (standing room only in tokyo). i don't want to lay down and hold the laptop over my head to read in bed.

here is a concrete example. i will go on a research trip in a few days. i do not need my laptop 99% of the time. but, in order to download pictures from my camera, view some sites that happen to use flash, and edit a brief research report (10-20 pages of text) i'll need the computer. so, now i'll have to pack the computer and bring it with me, even though out of the week i am gone, i will only use it a few hours. i've got a mouse and collapsible usb keyboard. all of this could fit in my murse (man purse).

as i said above, maybe my vision of the potential for the ipad is different than steve's. that's cool. hackers and asus have the mouse working and i am sure another company will figure out how to do it. i'll hang out with apple until a better one comes along, or until steve expands his vision a bit.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
I think the current iOS UI is definitely too simple and limited. It was developed for a device that never imagined it'd have its own store full of 500k apps. They never thought the average user would have 72 apps on their device or that we'd ever run more than 1 app at a time. And I doubt they expected they'd be crowbaring the same UI onto a 10" device.

I think Windows 8 is an excellent example of what the iPad UI could be if it didn't have to share with a Phone. Its very similar to their phone UI, but it was rebuilt/reimagined to take advantage of a large tablet screen.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
-cameras (wish for 5 mp back and 3 front with HD video on both)
-wish it had magic mouse support for safari and such

the rest are just things i want.

-knowing one with double resolution might be out soon:D
-two speakers
-two mics
-1 gb ram.

thats it. if it had those it would be perfect. the processor is great and the thing handles difficult tasks like a champ.

Juggertha

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
the ipad could be so much more than just a content consumption device. this isn't just my opinion, but it is steve's vision. steve has said we are headed into a post-pc era with the ipad. steve has said it is good for productivity. i drank the kool aid. but, i am not seeing his world. i don't think of the ipad as a computer--i just want it to be a content creation device like he promised.

I create pdf and powerpoint docs for my work all the time on my iPad.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I create pdf and powerpoint docs for my work all the time on my iPad.

let's hear more about that! tell me how you do it.

for example, i am working on a presentation for tomorrow right now and i have created most of it in evernote. i began writing it on my ipad while i was on a trip, but that was the first draft. i have a handout of about 20 pages to go along with it that i have made along with heavy editing to the presentation itself.

it seems like it would have taken a long time to edit if i had to use the ipad. maybe i am doing something wrong.

Kayzle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
This is a dumb gripe, but in most cases it's hard to find a good angle of looking at the ipad for a long period of time without your neck starting to hurt. Just takes some getting used to

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Boring old fashion OS
No flash
No USB
App store restrictions
Slow browsing compared to a computer
No file system

mostlynameless

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
No Flash (I'm surprised how many websites I visit need it)
No non-jailbreak app like Retina-pad (so that regular apps render better on iPad)
The cameras are a complete waste, but I don't use them anyway.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
1. Flash really isn't a big problem for me as more and more content is HTML5, which IMO is much slicker. However when I do encounter a site requiring flash, usually older ones, it can be a pain - but I just use my Mac instead.

2. Would really love a retina-type display, but the current display really isn't that bad.

3. Agreed that the cameras are rubbish. Only use them for FaceTime, Photo Booth and some AR apps, would like to see some improvement in these.

4. Finally, a slight redesign of the smart cover so that the hinges don't rub and that it doesn't leave streaks down the screen.

Other than that, I am (despite how the grumbles above may sound) very happy with my iPad 2 and know it will rock even more with iOS 5 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.