Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayanm00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
I have the iPad Pro 12.9" from 2015, and the Apple Pencil is terrible on iOS 11 (since the betas and now on the final). It's like it draws every other pixel when you draw a straight line. Can somebody try writing a few sentences on it and see if it's terrible for them too? I click the little pencil icon on the bottom right to start writing. I went back to iOS 10 and no problems there. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks in advance!

ayanm00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Do you click Add Sketch from the plus menu or do you directly click the hand-written note button on the bottom right? I find that it makes a big difference. The bottom right button lets you directly draw on the note, whereas the Add Sketch puts a page on top of the note. The Add Sketch is much more usable than the bottom right button.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Do you click Add Sketch from the plus menu or do you directly click the hand-written note button on the bottom right? I find that it makes a big difference. The bottom right button lets you directly draw on the note, whereas the Add Sketch puts a page on top of the note. The Add Sketch is much more usable than the bottom right button.

Maybe similar problems to mine? See my thread here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pencil-unusable-in-latest-beta.2065878/#post-25077999

If so, a reset all settings resolved the issue for me.

And I agree the add sketch is much smoother than the new inline sketch/writing method.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

ayanm00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Maybe similar problems to mine? See my thread here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pencil-unusable-in-latest-beta.2065878/#post-25077999

If so, a reset all settings resolved the issue for me.

And I agree the add sketch is much smoother than the new inline sketch/writing method.

I clean installed 10 and went to 11 and it didn't make a difference. I'll try clean installing 11 and see if that helps. This may just be another case of planned obsolescence. I still rant about how much more stable, lag free, and smooth the OSs were during Steve Jobs' day.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I clean installed 10 and went to 11 and it didn't make a difference. I'll try clean installing 11 and see if that helps. This may just be another case of planned obsolescence. I still rant about how much more stable, lag free, and smooth the OSs were during Steve Jobs' day.

Out of interest was the issue you experience the same as the issue I posted in my thread (screenshots included)? Or is the problem only related to Pencil lagging?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pencil-unusable-in-latest-beta.2065878/

I.e. Pencil input is intermittent with bits missing and dots instead of solid lines.

ayanm00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Exactly the same issue as yours. It was only on Apple Notes, though, as far as I recall.

Ok thanks. Hope you have sent a bug report. If not please do!

For me it appeared the issue was much worse when my hand or finger touched the screen despite the settings set to pencil input only (palm rejection on).

And as I mentioned a reset all settings resolved the issue for me. I just hope it doesn’t come back in a future update. I know there are others who experienced this bug earlier in the beta.

Keep us updated if you find a solution or find any further information. I hope you can find a solution too.

ayanm00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Ok thanks. Hope you have sent a bug report. If not please do!

For me it appeared the issue was much worse when my hand or finger touched the screen despite the settings set to pencil input only (palm rejection on).

And as I mentioned a reset all settings resolved the issue for me. I just hope it doesn’t come back in a future update. I know there are others who experienced this bug earlier in the beta.

Keep us updated if you find a solution or find any further information. I hope you can find a solution too.

I just clean installed, but still an issue. I'm going to try on a friend's 9.7" Pro and see if it's bad too.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I just clean installed, but still an issue. I'm going to try on a friend's 9.7" Pro and see if it's bad too.

Sorry to hear it is still not working.
I mentioned in my thread but I forgot to mention here, I have an IPP 9.7”.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL

ayanm00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Mine is doing the same thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes I get the dotted line lag stuff.

So I ended up not updating to 11 because of all the problems, but my brother has the 2015 12.9" Pro, and he says only the inline notes feature is bad like that. If you click the plus button at the bottom right of a new note and click add sketch, it's much better. Hope that helps!

Reactions: GlenK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.