iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) New cases/sleeves Thread

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
Now that the new iPad Pro 2018 models are out and starting to ship, more and more threads about cases and sleeves are popping up. We've had an 'iPad Pro 12.9 new cases thread' for last generation, so i figured i'd start one for the 2018 model as well to keep the two models separated.

Besides the official Apple ones, have you guys come across some 3rd party cases and/or sleeves?

Last edited:

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7VK7K8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm really liking this one. Previous versions rated very high, but it's not available until December. I have one on order.
Little too bulky for my personal taste, but looks very sturdy and practical! Gotta be real careful until December then :)

I'm looking for a sleeve for my new 12.9 myself. For last generation 10.5 Pro, I have bought my sleeve on Etsy.
Some very nice, high quality sleeves available there. Take a look at their website here.

Last edited:

Jimpilot

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
No
Little too bulky for my personal taste, but looks very sturdy and practical! Gotta be real careful until December then :)

I'm looking for a sleeve for my new 12.9 myself. For last generation 10.5 Pro, i have bought my sleeve on Etsy.
Some very nice, high quality sleeves available there. Took a look at their website here.
Yes I have already received my folio for day to day use, this one is for travel, it is a compromise between protection and weight.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes I have already received my folio for day to day use, this one is for travel, it is a compromise between protection and weight.
That makes sense!
What do you think of the folio, I understood it's about the same material as lasts generation Smart Covers/Keyboard?
[doublepost=1541340368][/doublepost]
You can customize a sleeve at rickshaw bags. https://www.rickshawbags.com/customized-ipad-pro
I'm sure they will update their size chart or you could message them.

Terrific company and a great choice if you want COLOR.
View attachment 801159
Interesting!

Reactions: artfossil

Jimpilot

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
No
That makes sense!
What do you think of the folio, I understood it's about the same material as lasts generation Smart Covers/Keyboard?
It is the same kind of rubberized material as the case Apple had for the first Gen 12.9. Candidly I like the leather much better but I suspect this will be fine.

Reactions: Rck1984

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Received this 12.9" Ztotop Folio Case from Amazon a few minutes ago. Amazon calls it black but it is more charcoal gray. Can't wait to test it to see how well it lines up and sticks to the magnets on the iPad.

At first glance (and not touching/seeing the apple version yet), this really seems like a steal. I caught it for $25.99 before it jumped up to $27.99 today as compared to $100 for Apple's. This will allow me to focus my extra funds to the authentic apple keyboard (maybe) & pencil (definitley)...

Also, I wanted to state holding the 12.9" folio case from Amazon has me thinking I definitely picked the right size. I am moving up from the 10.5" to the 12.9". It really feels good in the hand and comfortable to hold with one hand. Also, it seems portable enough as it fits in my vertx transit sling bag packed with my kids clothes, diapers, and wipes. This is my daily edc on weekends. I am pleasantly surprised too see it will be functional on the go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K6ZK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

Last edited:

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Received this 12.9" Ztotop Folio Case from Amazon a few minutes ago. Amazon calls it black but is more charcoal gray. Can't wait to test it to see how well it lines up and sticks to the magnets on the iPad.

At first glance (and not touching/seeing the apple version yet), this really seems like a steal. I caught it for $25.99 before it jumped up to $27.99 today as compared to $100 for Apple's. This will allow me to focus my extra funds to the authentic apple keyboard (maybe) & pencil (definitley)...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K6ZK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nice find! Let us know how you like it.

Reactions: tha80sbrat

nippyjun

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2007
How do the aftermarket companies know where to put the magnets before they have an iPad to test?

Jimpilot

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
No
That version is different. The one I posted is an exact knock off to the apple folio case (no edge protection). The link you have posted is a soft tpu case for the back of the iPad.
It seems to have a front too. In fact I’m wondering if it’s copy of the old Apple full body cases. The pencil holder will make it kind of wide though.

Reactions: gatorknight904

johnyslats

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Leeds, UK
How do the aftermarket companies know where to put the magnets before they have an iPad to test?
I would assume apple gives that information along with the dimensions to case makers prior to release. It's most likely on the engineering drawing or mockup.
Spotted this folio on Amazon too and hesitated due to questions around magnet placement. Most of the early cases with edge protection haven’t allowed for the Apple Pencil attachment but hopefully this works out for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.