Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Ladies and Gents I have tested the Ztotop Folio Case aaaaannnnnnddddd drum roll.....

The Auto Sleep/Wake Feature DOES NOT WORK. :( (Yes, I confirmed the setting is active on my iPad & my authentic Apple Smart Folio works perfectly)

Other than that, it lines up perfectly with the camera and the magnets hold the back side of the case on strong.

It is a shame because this case would have definitely been a keeper. Back to Amazon it goes!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K6ZK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 802320 View attachment 802321

I have the exact same case and the Sleep/Wake works for me. Did you restore from a backup or set up as new? I set mine up mine as new.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I have the exact same case and the Sleep/Wake works for me. Did you restore from a backup or set up as new? I set mine up mine as new.

Restored from backup. Not sure why that would even matter.

My authentic Folio works perfectly. I have already boxed it up for the return. The authentic version is a little lighter in weight it seems as well.

Reactions: RevTEG

thislsmadness

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I figured something would go wrong with that Ztotop case. I really hate the Apple folio though. It has sharp edges and a back texture that makes it uncomfortable to hold. I also dont like the exposed sides. Hopefully some better 3rd party options show up soon.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
My Ztotop is due for delivery today so I’ll be sure to post my thoughts too. Shame if there’s problems with it. All other case manufacturers seem to have been caught off guard with the Apple Pencil placement

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
It should be an easy fix for Ztotop to address. I would image they will have it corrected soon. Do the front and rear panels cover the iPad perfectly with no overhang?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Restored from backup. Not sure why that would even matter.

My authentic Folio works perfectly. I have already boxed it up for the return. The authentic version is a little lighter in weight it seems as well.

Damn, sucks to hear about the sleep/wake and weight. I liked that they have some colour options as opposed to apple with just white or grey.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
My Ztotop is due for delivery today so I’ll be sure to post my thoughts too. Shame if there’s problems with it. All other case manufacturers seem to have been caught off guard with the Apple Pencil placement
Mine arrived just now. Sleep/wake working perfectly and magnets holding firmly in place

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I've bought their products, which are great. My concern is how it would work with the pencil

Do you think they the sleeve will have enough room to accommodate it? Do these not typical have a pencil holder or something?

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Mine arrived just now. Sleep/wake working perfectly and magnets holding firmly in place
Damn, sucks to hear about the sleep/wake and weight. I liked that they have some colour options as opposed to apple with just white or grey.

Update: The manufacturer got back with me and chalked it up to a quality control issue. They offered me a free replacement and asked me to reconsider my review on Amazon.

Ultimately, I rejected the replacement offer, proceeded with the return, and will update my review to be less harsh.

I may reconsider within the 14 day return period of the Genuine Apple Folio. As I mentioned before, the Genuine Apple Folio is noticeably lighter in weight and made from better materials. Not a big surprise there.

If you get one that works the Ztotop is a respectable knockoff. A 2nd person has left a review saying their auto sleep/wake feature does not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnyslats

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
18847A7A-F101-49E6-8296-B8BA4836175A.jpeg 3318D61E-96D2-49E5-BC2B-177708BE6B1F.jpeg 570F8D6E-2D3D-42AF-84FF-4AC7FFF78E56.jpeg 3C7DD939-4AB5-4559-991F-D872264D2ADE.jpeg 4FD796DB-5DE0-4C88-A419-547FBFC2B153.jpeg
Any pics and some with the pencil? TIA.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My JETech case just arrived. Magnets work for sleep/wake, but you'd have to take the case off to charge the pencil. Fall. When I get home I'm going to see if I can cut some shots to make it compatible with the pencil.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
My JETech case just arrived. Magnets work for sleep/wake, but you'd have to take the case off to charge the pencil. Fall. When I get home I'm going to see if I can cut some shots to make it compatible with the pencil.

That sounds like an awful design flaw, aren’t you better off returning it and getting something else? Cutting will most likely end up looking like a disaster I’m afraid?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
It's pretty apparent the current line up of third party cases were designed around the CAD leaks, with no idea what the pencil port even was, Some of them even show it as a sim tray or something in their promotional images.

We have to wait for third parties to actually design cases to specification.

What I did was purchase the smart folio, it is close enough to the holidays where if anything better is released in the next few months I will be able to return this.

BabyFu18

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Georgia
I saw this design on amazon, looks like it’d take a while to get it, so others may come out with something similar but it’s the first thing I’ve seen that incorporates the pencil in this manner.

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-Ap...-spons&keywords=iPad+Pro+12.9+2018+case&psc=1

The same brand also makes a 3rd party version of the folio case, not sure if anyone has tried this one yet or not.

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-iP...&sr=8-4&keywords=moko+ipad+pro+12.9+case+2018

No idea what I’m going to try yet, just waiting to see what’s available and what continues to come out in the future.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

gjr74

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
PA, USA
I saw this design on amazon, looks like it’d take a while to get it, so others may come out with something similar but it’s the first thing I’ve seen that incorporates the pencil in this manner.

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-Ap...-spons&keywords=iPad+Pro+12.9+2018+case&psc=1

The same brand also makes a 3rd party version of the folio case, not sure if anyone has tried this one yet or not.

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-iP...&sr=8-4&keywords=moko+ipad+pro+12.9+case+2018

No idea what I’m going to try yet, just waiting to see what’s available and what continues to come out in the future.

These look great, thanks. I have the Apple smart folio on now but not sure it’s worth the $100 especially with the sides/corners left unprotected.

Reactions: BabyFu18

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Do you think they the sleeve will have enough room to accommodate it? Do these not typical have a pencil holder or something?
I don't think so. They are normally a snug fit to stop the iPad slipping out. If you could squeeze an iPad and pencil in, I dont think it would stay attached.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I don't think so. They are normally a snug fit to stop the iPad slipping out. If you could squeeze an iPad and pencil in, I dont think it would stay attached.

Damn, I was so ready to pull the trigger too. Wish it had a pocket or pouch like the others recommended.

davpel24

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
For anyone that has the Ztotop Folio Case and the Apple Keyboard case, how doe they compare weight-wise?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
That sounds like an awful design flaw, aren’t you better off returning it and getting something else? Cutting will most likely end up looking like a disaster I’m afraid?

It wasn't that expensive, so I was ok with it - besides, I can't go around caseless.

It didn't turn out too badly, actually. A little jagged on the bottom, but I was able to sand most of it down, and then I laid vinyl on the inside to protect the iPad.

Reactions: Rck1984
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.