Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
What you said is totally false.

I have iPad Pro 12.9" and I also purchased USB-C lightning cable with 29W charger from Apple shop. I also have ASUS Z270 IX Hero motherboard which has USB-C port with power delivery. But when my iPad is charged through my PC's USB-C port, it doesn't fast charge. It also does not sync at USB 3/C speeds even though I use the genuine USB-C to lightning cable.

What Apple has left out is the little detail that Apple's charger is not spec compliant with USB power delivery standards of USB-C. So iPad will always charge at lower speed in such scenario as a safety measure. So to get full speed charging, we have no other option but to buy ridiculously priced 29W proprietary charger from Apple only.

It is absolutely shameful that Apple's intentions are not honorable on this iPad 12.9" charging scenario. They need to be exposed. But the worst part is, people blindly go by the logic that "It's done by Apple so there must be a rationale behind it". Just that there was no rationale apart from hoodwinking genuine iPad buyers to cough out more money for accessories.

I think 29W is a lot trough such a tiny cable and I'm glad apple didn't allow any cable to charge that current.
Haven't you read about the accidents that happen to USB-cables sold online?
Have a horror story:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/
The guy tests dozens of cables and hardly any cheap USB-c cable is up to spec. Even several more expensive cables aren't up to snuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.