Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
From Apple's Press Release:

"...while a new Lightning to USB-C Cable and Apple’s 29W USB-C Power Adapter enable faster charging."

Looks like the USB-C charger that's previously been sold as the Macbook charger. Do we know how much faster it will charge? Any third-party USB-C charger that can accomplish the same fast charge if paired with a USB-C to Lightning cable? And could any old USB-A charger accomplish the fast charge if it's high enough wattage?

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
From Apple's Press Release:

"...while a new Lightning to USB-C Cable and Apple’s 29W USB-C Power Adapter enable faster charging."

Looks like the USB-C charger that's previously been sold as the Macbook charger. Do we know how much faster it will charge? Any third-party USB-C charger that can accomplish the same fast charge if paired with a USB-C to Lightning cable?

$25 for something they should've thrown in to begin with. Damn bean counters!
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-c-cable-1-m?fnode=91

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I am ordering the cord to see as already have the charger, will be interesting to see how much faster it really is. Also never heard of the option before.

"This USB-C cable connects your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector to your computer’s USB-C port for syncing and charging. You can also use the cable with an Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter to take advantage of the fast charging feature on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro."

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
I'm not ordering online. I know that like before if I order online and have it shipped to me by Tuesday next week, come this weekend it's in stores. I will walk in and pick one up from the retail store instead.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I am ordering the cord to see as already have the charger, will be interesting to see how much faster it really is. Also never heard of the option before.

"This USB-C cable connects your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector to your computer’s USB-C port for syncing and charging. You can also use the cable with an Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter to take advantage of the fast charging feature on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro."
Keep us posted! Also test if it enables USB 3 speed syncing, please!

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
It's amazing to learn that so many people have a shorter sleeping and therefore charging time at night than 4.5 hours. Maybe I am sleeping too long.....

Or maybe you want to top off the battery before getting on a long plane ride? Or maybe you used it all day and need to juice up before taking the train home? Quick charge is very useful.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Or maybe you want to top off the battery before getting on a long plane ride? Or maybe you used it all day and need to juice up before taking the train home? Quick charge is very useful.

That speaks indeed for the workaholic theory.....I was never able to empty the battery in a day completely with the iPP.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
How about Third party C-lightning cables

This is actually an instance where I wouldn't mess with third-party stuff (unless certified by Apple). There's reports of cheap USB-C cables destroying the attached device. And cheap USB chargers have always been a problem, and probably more so when dealing with USB-C's higher output voltage.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I just got my Cable and the 29W charger, and woah! It charges crazily fast. Especially compared to the included 12W charger. The iPad gains 1% every 1.5 minutes or so, even though it is turned on. My guess is: 80% in 1.5 hours or so, the last 20% maybe another 1.5 hours, maybe a little bit faster.
This is definitely the charger apple should have included with the 12.9" iPad. Maybe one day, when USB-C is more common, all iPads will come with the big charger.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I just got my Cable and the 29W charger, and woah! It charges crazily fast. Especially compared to the included 12W charger. The iPad gains 1% every 1.5 minutes or so, even though it is turned on. My guess is: 80% in 1.5 hours or so, the last 20% maybe another 1.5 hours, maybe a little bit faster.
This is definitely the charger apple should have included with the 12.9" iPad. Maybe one day, when USB-C is more common, all iPads will come with the big charger.

Thanks for letting us know! Any chance you can test the cable on a USB 3 port on a computer and see how fast it syncs?

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
This is excellent news.

I'm hoping this will trickle down to the rest of the iPad and iPhone lineup. Charging at 29W will completely blow away any current fast charging techs. Even Qualcomm's QC 3.0 standard is limited to 18W.

What would be amazing is if portable batteries started operating at these speeds. Imagine being able to charge a 20,000 mAh portable external battery to full in 1-2 hours, then doing the same with an iPad Pro, or in just a few minutes for an iPhone.
[doublepost=1458753791][/doublepost]Doing some quick research, it looks like the closest competitor is the Motorola turbo power 25 at 25W. One advantage - if you're loyal enough to the Apple / iOS ecosystem, you would potentially get broad 29W charging capability across all your gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.