Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nowcj.rdz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Hi,
I recently purchased an ipad pro 12.9. Today I realized that a new iPad might come out this year. Based on rumors it will be a "game changer". I am not by all means an apple expert, I just enjoy their products. My question is should I return my iPad pro and wait for whatever apple comes out later this year? I bought mine a week a go, so I can still return it.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Thanks,

AutisticGuy

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
I'm in the market for a new iPad as well, and I'm having the same debate with myself. I guess we have to look at the rumors and than decide for ourselves. So, if an iPad came out with the following, could you live with yourself:
  • OLED screen: This doesn't seem likely and if it is, I doubt the screen would be much better than the existing one)
  • Faster A11 X Processor: This is a given obviously. How much faster? The high range would probably be 30 percent faster with 15 to 20 percent being more likely. Graphics could be way faster, but apps won't make use of that for quite awhile anyway.
  • An upgraded Apple Pencil: This would be a big one because if it has eraser support, I'd really want that. But than, I might be able to use it with the existing iPad anyway? Perhaps. Hopefully it'd also have a longer battery life and perhaps a better method to charge it.
  • Smaller bezels with a smaller foot print and lower weight and no home button. That's admittedly cool, but for me that isn't a major thing. Besides, there could be a compromise with battery life, and I'm really into having the longest battery life possible.
  • Face ID instead of Finger ID. I used Windows Hello before, and it's pretty freakin cool. But Finger ID was equally as cool and I've used it on tons of Apple products for quite a long time now. I know some people say Face ID is way better once you get used to it, but I'm not seeing it personally.
I don't know. The above would certainly be quite an upgrade, but it's not like I'd be disappointed with my iPad (if I bought one). Of course, there's the possibility of an iPad Pro in March so it might be worth waiting for a little while).

nowcj.rdz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
I'm in the market for a new iPad as well, and I'm having the same debate with myself. I guess we have to look at the rumors and than decide for ourselves. So, if an iPad came out with the following, could you live with yourself:
  • OLED screen: This doesn't seem likely and if it is, I doubt the screen would be much better than the existing one)
  • Faster A11 X Processor: This is a given obviously. How much faster? The high range would probably be 30 percent faster with 15 to 20 percent being more likely. Graphics could be way faster, but apps won't make use of that for quite awhile anyway.
  • An upgraded Apple Pencil: This would be a big one because if it has eraser support, I'd really want that. But than, I might be able to use it with the existing iPad anyway? Perhaps. Hopefully it'd also have a longer battery life and perhaps a better method to charge it.
  • Smaller bezels with a smaller foot print and lower weight and no home button. That's admittedly cool, but for me that isn't a major thing. Besides, there could be a compromise with battery life, and I'm really into having the longest battery life possible.
  • Face ID instead of Finger ID. I used Windows Hello before, and it's pretty freakin cool. But Finger ID was equally as cool and I've used it on tons of Apple products for quite a long time now. I know some people say Face ID is way better once you get used to it, but I'm not seeing it personally.
I don't know. The above would certainly be quite an upgrade, but it's not like I'd be disappointed with my iPad (if I bought one). Of course, there's the possibility of an iPad Pro in March so it might be worth waiting for a little while).

Great analysis!!
So I decided to return my ipad pro. So as someone who owned one for a week I can tell you that thing is amazing. I can’t wait to see the new one.
Here’s why I decided to return it. I feel like i have a safety net. If apple comes out with something I dont like the notch on top of the iphone x, I can go back and buy the same one I just returned, and probably with a price reduction.
Thanks for the great answer!!!

trvr_

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
Hi,
I recently purchased an ipad pro 12.9. Today I realized that a new iPad might come out this year. Based on rumors it will be a "game changer". I am not by all means an apple expert, I just enjoy their products. My question is should I return my iPad pro and wait for whatever apple comes out later this year? I bought mine a week a go, so I can still return it.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Thanks,

I created an account just for this response!

I am a design student waiting out for the next ipad. Why? Because the current ipad is the best thing to hit the market (for sketching) and it out performes many other devices with speed and resolution. The current ipad pro will have longevity if you keep it.
BUT if you wait, this year's ipad pro should be phoenominally better than last year's. I expect it to be smaller, lighter, better resolution, and its known to have an even better processor than the amazing one the 2017 model has. Therefore, I think the next ipad will be a better investment for the long term like in five years or even 10 when technology has kept up.

Especially being that you'll only have to wait a couple more months, just return the one you bought and buy the new one.

nowcj.rdz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Thanks for your response. That’s what a decided to do. I returned the ipad to bestbuy.
In case i dont like the nw ipad, im sure i can rebuy the one I returned with a price break.

As a side note- im an industrial designer so having something like this would be awesome. I used ot for a few days and it was great!

Thanks again for your response!

I created an account just for this response!

I am a design student waiting out for the next ipad. Why? Because the current ipad is the best thing to hit the market (for sketching) and it out performes many other devices with speed and resolution. The current ipad pro will have longevity if you keep it.
BUT if you wait, this year's ipad pro should be phoenominally better than last year's. I expect it to be smaller, lighter, better resolution, and its known to have an even better processor than the amazing one the 2017 model has. Therefore, I think the next ipad will be a better investment for the long term like in five years or even 10 when technology has kept up.

Especially being that you'll only have to wait a couple more months, just return the one you bought and buy the new one.

Reactions: Precursor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.