iPad Pro 9.7" Better than 12.9"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kittonian, Mar 21, 2016.

1. kittonian macrumors member

This really sucks. I love that both models have the ability to go up to 256GB but how do you give the smaller, less expensive version the wide color display and true-tone display but not the larger, more expensive model??? Don't even get me started on how much better the cameras in the 9.7" are. WTF???

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Is the answer to which one to purchase, well, if you want all the nice features purchase the 9.7"? Otherwise, wait until the fall and see if they update the 12.9" to have the same features. I have a feeling a lot of people who were waiting to see what was going to be announced, even though they wanted/needed the larger screen, are going to end up purchasing the 9.7" model or holding off altogether.

Please correct me if I am mistaken because I was ready to place an order for the larger iPad Pro immediately.

2. Puonti macrumors 6502a

New model has newer tech. Also, this is how you sell a lot of products.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It's really not complicated. If the added features of the 9.7 iPP are important to you then wait to see if the come to the 12.9. If not, then buy the 12.9 now.

If the 12.9 iPP was acceptable to you before today, why isn't it now? I can't see anyone who is in the market for a 12.9 model switching to 9.7 simply for the few things that it has... especially because of the smaller screen.

4. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

12.9" Is still the better model IMO. At least, that's when you want a true Pro iPad by using the Pencil, for example. A bigger screen lets you do more. We're just talking about a protruding higher res camera and improvements to an already great display.

I mean, I want it on the bigger Pro, but it doesn't really make it obsolete just yet.

5. russ99 macrumors member

I use an iPad mini most of the time, so the larger Pro (plus the weight, I remember how heavy an iPad 1 was) was a non-starter for me.

The pencil and color temperature sensitivity will be huge for me as a designer.​

6. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

New products will always be out of date in some way or another within a few months.

7. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Aside from all the improvements we hoped for..
    I like is that they're offering LTE on all storage sizes and the 256GB option is a pleasant surprise.

8. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

The 12.9 was still available to order for pick up today in the 128 size. If the newer 12.9" has better screen and such wouldn't pick up for this model not be until March 31 or would I be buying the lesser spec 12.9?

9. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

About resolution, still iPad Pro 12.9" carries higher : 2732 by 2048, vs 9.7" carries 2048 by 1536.
    Otherwise, of course 12.9" screen size is bigger. If you like the function of sprit screen, 12.9" model is mode comfortable to use that function.
    Otherwise Ram is same chip is same, it looks like. I guess it now really depends on how you want to use iPad Pro and where, for what.

10. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Huh? There is no "Newer 12.9" model. The only new iPad introduced today is the 9.7" iPad Pro.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes there is a new 256GB 12.9" model.

12. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

I am so pissed because my 12.9" iPad Pro does not support the Hey Siri feature like the smaller one.

13. auero macrumors 65816

Better can be a subjective statement. Don't get me wrong, the camera updates and possibilities on the 9.7-inch model are nice, but how often do you use them? While I am jealous of those added features, I don't personally use them. The biggest additional feature is the true tone display. I'm still waiting to hear if it uses the iPhone 6s TouchID sensor. I'm still able to return mine and but the smaller model, but I ask myself if I can go back to a smaller display and if these new features are worth it. I'm big on flux/nightshift so will true tone really matter?

I don't expect Apple to update the Pro model until the next iPad event. I think then we'll have both models on the same page as far as processor and features go.

14. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

You're too much!

The new 9.7" has some stuff that's better and when the iPP 2 debuts, it will have stuff that outclasses the 9.7".

Business as usual...

15. auero macrumors 65816

Would you use this feature? I only ask because I think it would be frustrating if my iPhone and iPad would be in the same room. I thought the 12.9 actually already supported it, which is why I had it off.

16. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

I agree with above. I mean, iPad Pro 12.9" is big. How many people think it's reasonable that carrying it around and take pictures/video with it? If so, how often? Most of 12.9" users probably not need it. You don't need "better" camera, and it's just jumping up from 8 to 12.
    Do you have iPhone? Even other cell phones have better cameras/video, and if you have those cell phone, you not gonna going to take pictures and/or video with big iPad, for sure on 12.9" but even on 9.7", at least I don't need it...

For those unreasonable and unnecessary future, giving up bigger screen benefit may sound silly for some people who know what 12.9" iPad Pro does for them.

17. macaximx macrumors 6502

Exactly, wait 6 months and the 12.9 will be updated.

On second thought, perhaps, they will release the new 12.9 in a year and combine releases?

18. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

And don't forget the IPP 4 will be better than the IPP 3....

19. ACG12 macrumors 6502

The ipad pro 12.9" is too expensive not to have the 9.7" upgrades.

20. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Oohhh, the horror... /laughing/

21. Andy847 macrumors regular

Andy847

I was thinking of waiting for the 9.7 IPP, before I bought the 12.9" I have now. When I went to best buy and saw how small the 9.7" was, and thought about using the split view feature on it for drawing, it was laughable. I love the size of the 12.9" for what I need it for.
    As said before, if new specs are what you're interested in, you'll be upgrading to new devices every six months. There's always something better coming out, just the nature of these devices and technology. I'm content with what I have now.

22. kittonian thread starter macrumors member

As a designer (architecture) the bigger screen is very important, but the true-tone and warm display tech are huge improvements, as well as the camera. It is not that the 12.9" was perfectly acceptable before today, it's that the new improvements on the less expensive 9.7" are critical for proper designing and should have been updated on the 12.9" more expensive "flagship" "pro" model. It just seems a bit silly to spend more money for the larger screen, but without the other important features that the 9.7" carries.

I completely understand that you can always wait for the next version which will have more improvements. That's not the point. I think they missed the mark by not updating the 12.9" all around. They are offering the 256GB option, and I just wish they would've matched the two models feature for feature. Can't do anything about it, just offering my personal opinion.

23. AliMacs macrumors 6502

IPP 13" is way more practical with multiple apps side by side including being able to incorporate notification widgets in my workflow. The 9.7" is ok at best - possible but I wouldn't want to work on it as much. The IPP 13" is my laptop replacement nowadays. Bigger is better in this case!

24. macaximx macrumors 6502

The early iPP adopters would have been mad if Apple updated the 12.9 after 4 months.

25. 007p macrumors 6502a

Why does the 9.7" model not have usb3 speeds? Why the step back?

Was all commited to purchase as well, and they just killed it. Ridiculous.