iPad Pro and iPhone X Win 'Displays of the Year' Awards

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iPad Pro and the iPhone X were today named Displays of the Year by The Society for Information Display (SID) during the annual Display Industry Awards that will take place at Display Week, a yearly symposium and trade show.

The display awards are meant to highlight "high-quality, innovative work that is taking place in the display industry." All 2018 award winners cover products that were available for purchase during the 2017 calendar year.

[​IMG]

Apple's 10.5 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, released in June of 2017, won an award for the ProMotion display technology introduced in the two devices. ProMotion introduces a 120Hz display refresh rate, which is designed to make all motion content on the screen smoother, crisper, and more responsive. It improves text, scrolling, gaming, Apple Pencil latency, movies, and more.

[​IMG]

The 10.5 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models feature a 2224 x 1168 and 2732 x 2048 resolution, respectively, with a pixel density of 264 pixels per inch. The two devices also include support for True Tone, which adjusts the white balance of the display to match the ambient lighting in a room, and P3 wide color gamut for more vivid, true-to-life colors.

Apple's iPhone X was also given a Displays of the Year award for its edge-to-edge Super Retina display that's entirely screen (aside from the notch) with no physical buttons. It offers the first OLED display in an iPhone, with support for HDR and True Tone.

[​IMG]
    Other non-Apple devices won awards, too, including the Sharp 70-inch 8K LCD TV and new technologies that include Continental Automotive's 3D Touch surface (the first touchscreen with a 3D surface on top of a display), Colorless Polyimide from Kolon Industries (for creating flexible displays), the Optical In-Display Fingerprint Sensor from Synaptics (for infinity displays with no visible Home button), and the LG UHD Crystal Sound OLED (an OLED panel-integrated speaker).

All of the Displays of the Year award winners will be recognized during the Display Week awards luncheon, set to take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Wednesday, May 23.

Article Link: iPad Pro and iPhone X Win 'Displays of the Year' Awards

2. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

3. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

But..but..but..Samsung phones have the best rated displays...!!!

4. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Those of us who have these products already knew this. Their respective screens are gorgeous.

5. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

Agree with that. To this day, I am still amazed almost every day by the quality of my iPad Pros and iPhone X.....

6. fokmik macrumors 68030

I've put my popcorn in the microwave in anticipation for the haters to run into this article and discredit the award. I can't wait.

7. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

In related news, Google’s Pixel 2 won the “Lemon Display of the Year” award.

8. tooltalk macrumors 6502

Duh! and who do you think made AMOLED displays for Apple's iPhone X?
    (hint: the same company that won pretty much all previous SID awards).

9. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

My only wish is that my X’s screen was a bit brighter in sunlight, but yeah fantastic displays on these devices.

10. misterpip macrumors member

very happy with iphone x screen - especially after viewing recent HDR content

still haven't seen ipad pro 120hz in person - will have to call into an apple store sometime to check

11. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

What's that weird dent in one side of the X display though? I can't find a setting to remove it. The Note 8 for example doesn't have it. I sure love me a clean, symmetrical rectangle that doesn't intrude on the content.

12. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I have both of these sitting on my desk right now, actually.

Samsung may manufacture the display, but it's Apples design. One does have to wonder if Apple has some sort of clause in their contracts stating that a manufacturer can't take any of their designs to be used in their own products (ie, a Super Retina Display ending up on a Galaxy S10 or whatever they call their next one. (If it's S10, I hope Chevrolet sues the pants off them, lol)).

13. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

14. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

It's called Face ID, and you robot phone wall huggers want to join the party so bad that your OEMs are adding the notch to house it... without having the tech that would (currently) require it.

15. fokmik macrumors 68030

samsung displays, individual calibrated by Apple

16. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Does anyone use TrueTone on the iPhone? Most people i've asked, have turned it off... (myself included)

17. tooltalk, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018

tooltalk macrumors 6502

What design? You mean Apple designed the iPhone frame? LOL..

No, these are the same displays engineered and manufactured by Samsung, tweaked for their customer, Apple. It's not surprising that Apple won the award this year, considering that Samsung won pretty much all previous mobile display award from SID preceding years and all Apple did was to use Samsung's same displays.

18. Mizouse macrumors regular

Love the iPad Pro display but when I color grade or edit photos on it they end up looking different on my Mac Mini w/ IPS display.

They look less saturated and have less contrast

19. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

One touch on my fp reader unlocks much faster though because I never have to align my face to do it, it's basically already unlocked by the time I've brought the phone into my field of sight...?

And I'm still not seeing a notch on the Note 8 nor the upcoming Note 9 seems to have it.

20. fokmik macrumors 68030

faceID is the future...i already am logged in on every site etc with my face in 1 sec...plz enter your password or let it be remember and be aware of the hackers

21. Chloros macrumors member

Chloros

So calibration of the year?

22. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

Literally no one forgets that because it's discussed ad nauseam. What people forget is that Apple's Samsung screen is better than Samsung's Samsung screen.

23. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Let's hope the ProMotion technology comes to all Apple devices this year, and the iOS 12/macOS 10.14 updates fix all of the lag and stuttering in the operating systems.

Speaking of which... 20 days until WWDC and the next betas! :eek::D

24. darkarn macrumors 6502a

Well, it is easy for the iPads to win when there is almost no new competition from Android manufacturers!

And no, I am neutral on this, heck I have been sourcing for an Android tablet that can go head to head with the iPad Pro for months!

25. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

Yes, I keep TrueTone on.