Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Yes the display panels on Apple devices are manufactured by Samsung, LG etc. But people forget/don't know that manufacturing the panel is only half the job. Display controller, color calibration etc. are done by Apple. Until Samsung comes up with a display as good as Apple's, "But they're manufactured by Samsung" argument is moot.

Some of the Galaxy S9 Display Highlights
These are just a few of the Galaxy S9 Display Highlights that we will be covering in detail throughout the article:

· Record Setting High Absolute Color Accuracy (0.7 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.

· Enhanced High Brightness Mode that is up to 20% Brighter than the Galaxy S8.

· Record small Shifts in Brightness and Color with Viewing Angle, including White.

· The Galaxy S9 is certified by the UHD Alliance for Mobile HDR Premium.

· New Luminance Independence with Varying Picture Content.

· New user adjustable White Point with Color Balance slider controls.

· New Vision Accessibility Display Modes to help people with vision impairments.

· The Galaxy S9 matches or sets many new Smartphone Display Performance Records, earning DisplayMate’s highest ever A+ grade.

S9 display is clearly better.
Higher resolution, pixel density and better color calibration, higher contrast in direct sun light, lower reflectance rate and so on.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
S9 display is clearly better.
Higher resolution, pixel density and better color calibration, higher contrast in direct sun light, lower reflectance rate and so on.
iPhone X display is clearly better.

From the same website you quoted from:

The Best Smartphone Display
  • The iPhone X is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever tested.
  • First we need to congratulate Samsung Display for developing and manufacturing the outstanding OLED display hardware in the iPhone X.
  • But what makes the iPhone X the Best Smartphone Display is the impressive Precision Display Calibration that Apple developed that transforms the OLED hardware into a superbly accurate, high performance, and gorgeous display!!

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Yeah man but the detail you clearly missed it that the S9 has better color calibration 0.7 JNCD vs 0.9 JNCD for the iphone x.
So the argument what makes the iPhone X the Best Smartphone Display is the impressive Precision Display Calibration doesn't stand.

Also in case you missed it.
The Galaxy S9 matches or sets new Smartphone Display Performance Records for:

· Highest Absolute Color Accuracy (0.7 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
· Smallest Luminance Shifts with Varying Picture Content for OLEDs (6 percent).
· Highest Peak Display Brightness (1,130 nits).
· Largest Native Color Gamut (113% DCI-P3 and 141% sRGB / Rec.709).
· Highest Contrast Ratio (Infinite).
· Lowest Screen Reflectance (4.4 percent).
· Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (257).
· Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (29 percent at 30 degrees).
· Smallest Color Variation of White with Viewing Angle (1.1 JNCD at 30 degrees).
· Highest Screen Resolution 3K (2960x1440) – 4K does not appear visually sharper on a Smartphone.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Yeah man but the detail you clearly missed it that the S9 has better color calibration 0.7 JNCD vs 0.9 JNCD for the iphone x.
So the argument what makes the iPhone X the Best Smartphone Display is the impressive Precision Display Calibration doesn't stand.

Also in case you missed it.
In case you missed:

The Best Smartphone Display
  • The iPhone X is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever tested.
  • First we need to congratulate Samsung Display for developing and manufacturing the outstanding OLED display hardware in the iPhone X.
  • But what makes the iPhone X the Best Smartphone Display is the impressive Precision Display Calibration that Apple developed that transforms the OLED hardware into a superbly accurate, high performance, and gorgeous display!!

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Precursor no offense man but you seem to lack basic logic.
They literally said the same thing about the S9(The Best Smartphone Display) backed up by the record braking details I provide above and the fact the the S9 is the last phone they reviewed.
So how can iphone x's screen be better when it loses in so many categories vs the S9? And that is including color calibration which you actually tough it was better on the iphone.

Last edited:

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY
Yes the display panels on Apple devices are manufactured by Samsung, LG etc. But people forget/don't know that manufacturing the panel is only half the job. Display controller, color calibration etc. are done by Apple. Until Samsung comes up with a display as good as Apple's, "But they're manufactured by Samsung" argument is moot.

1) the iPhone X AMOLED display is engineered and manufactured by Samsung only using Samsung's display tech.
2) It seems all Apple did in this case is to calibrate the displays. The display drivers and PMIC are made by Samsung and STMicroelectronics. Further, contrary to your false claims, these IC components are nowhere as important or challenging as the display itself.
3) Samsung's latest AMOLED in the S9 already surpassed the X's display in all aspects -- except for the brightness. And that has more to do with Samsung's focus on battery efficiency and display longevity vs Apple user experience.

I know many of you want to believe Apple did something impossible or difficult fo\ their rabid fans, but as the SID award notes, Apple received the best "Application" award for what amounts to rebranding and repackaging of Samsung displays in their latest iPhone.
[doublepost=1526565102][/doublepost]
Disagree. It's Apple's design team lead by Johny Srouji that differentiates Apple's processors with respect to other phone manufacturers. TSMC is another contract manufacturer for Apple, as is Samsung, TI, Cirrus, Broadcom, and many dozen others. That's not a dig on TSMC, I like them a lot, with my company using them (and TI, Samsung, Atmel, and ES2) in the past for custom processors.
[doublepost=1526500373][/doublepost]

"If you are just a layman who can't tell Samsung from LG, much less TSMC from Apple, it's fine. Ignorance is bliss and enjoy your phone. It's time for you to move along."

Thanks for the insult. Needing to resort to that greatly undermines your credibility and knowledge.

"Now, what many of us are pointing out here is that Apple's contribution amounts to little more than rebranding and packaging Samsung's displays."

Rebranding and packaging. Astonishing. As has been pointed out earlier, since 2014 (and I suspect earlier) Apple has had it's own internal display engineering group. To say the above demonstrates your ignorance as to what the group does and how they work with Samsung on their displays.

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make here. Samsung has supposedly 40+K software engineers, but look where they are now.

It's no secret that Apple has its own internal display engineering group who productize (rebrand and repackage) panels from LG, Samsung, etc.. Unless you could demonstrate what they did differently this time to significantly improve or differentiate from Samsung's AMOLED, let's rely on the views of display experts like Dr. Soneira of Displaymate or the SID award committee who awarded the best "Application" award to Apple.
[doublepost=1526566032][/doublepost]
And without Apple asking Samsung to develop this display, we wouldn't be able to buy a device with it. Apple never made their own displays but they have repeatedly pushed the envelope in shipping devices with class-leading screens (original iPhone screen, retina iPhone 4 screen, retina MBP, 5K iMac, wide-gamut phones, tablets, laptops, 120 Hz with ProMotion). And several of those relied on measures that are applied after the screen has been manufactured (individual calibration, timing controller on the 5K iMac, colour management at the OS level, graphic chip and software improvements for 120 Hz).
[doublepost=1526468913][/doublepost]
Apple never manufactured their own displays. Does this mean they shouldn't get credit when they ship devices with display performance that stands out? In particular when some of that performance is due to refinements Apple adds itself (calibration, colour management, 120 Hz graphic ship & software)?
[doublepost=1526468996][/doublepost]
Not at all, if there non-Apple devices with LCDs that are brighter than the iPhone X display than both statements can be true.

?? Samsung has been making and pushing AMOLED for almost a decade now. You like Apple iPhone's LCD displays? That's fine, but Samsung's AMOLED has been named best mobile displays for a while and Samsung will continue to improve it with or without Apple. Apple productizes (rebrand and repackage) the tech innovation brought out by Samsung to end-consumers. Sure, Apple gets credit for "popularizing" certain tech or features -- and gets paid a lot of $$ for their work, but let's not delude ourselves.
[doublepost=1526566132][/doublepost]
And who DESIGNS the AMOLED displays for the iPhone X, which is what really counts here (compared to just offering manufacturing plants for the production of these designs)?
(hint: it's not the company you're referring to).

LOL. There is nothing to "design" -- unless you mean "rebrand" or "repackage."

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Samsung has been making and pushing AMOLED for almost a decade now. You like Apple iPhone's LCD displays?
Yes, I did like the original iPhone's display in 2007. I did like the iPhone 4 display in 2010. I did like the iMac 5K display in 2014.
That's fine, but Samsung's AMOLED has been named best mobile displays for a while and Samsung will continue to improve it with or without Apple. Apple productizes (rebrand and repackage) the tech innovation brought out by Samsung to end-consumers.
Well, Apple elected to ship a better display in their iPhone X than what Samsung ships in its flagship models. Thus, in regard to this display, it was Apple that first brought it to the end-consumer.

I never said that others didn't bring class-leading displays to market. Just look at EIZO and NEC in the display market in regard to colour accuracy and gamut. When people laud them for offering great displays, you rarely hear others chiming in that the actual credit should go to the actual panel maker. And like Apple, they add their own special sauce (in regard to calibration) to the panels the purchase from others.
Sure, Apple gets credit for "popularizing" certain tech or features -- and gets paid a lot of $$ for their work, but let's not delude ourselves.
I didn't say anything else, why would I then be deluding myself?

There are always at least two different elements behind an outstanding product shipping:
  1. Somebody developing the technology, and
  2. Somebody bringing said technology to market.
Samsung happens to have divisions in both fields, Apple mostly only in the second field. Though their A-series (and M, T, W) chips crossover into the first field (while relying on ARM for their basic structure).

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The rounded corners are glass but not the screen lik the GS8/9. So viewing is not hurt in that way.

You need to go back and look at the specs. The extreme rounding of the corners of the "X" mean you either lop them off for the view or you place borders around your display area to ensure all content is seen. Videos, pics, games, etc... have 90 degree corners, not curves.
XNGJsxw.jpg
That was one of the glaring differences when I did my reviews side by side - full screen the X lopped off the corners and on some the long sides were also cropped.
[doublepost=1526569177][/doublepost]
Round of applause for Samsung Display, supplier of iPhone screens!

That is one aspect I don't get. A OLED screen on my roomies S8 has far less blue/pink drift than the iPhone X I was testing for the same viewing angles. TT on or off. Which also leads to why I don't understand the award.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's no secret that Apple has its own internal display engineering group who productize (rebrand and repackage) panels from LG, Samsung, etc.. Unless you could demonstrate what they did differently this time to significantly improve or differentiate from Samsung's AMOLED, let's rely on the views of display experts like Dr. Soneira of Displaymate or the SID award committee who awarded the best "Application" award to Apple.

It's a custom display manufactured to Apple's specifications from Apple's display engineering group. Your "rebrand and repackage" comment suggesting it's a standard Samsung product simply repackaged with a different part clearly shows you're not an engineer and ignorant of how Apple's development process works.

Reactions: Precursor

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY
Well, Apple elected to ship a better display in their iPhone X than what Samsung ships in its flagship models. Thus, in regard to this display, it was Apple that first brought it to the end-consumer.

Let's all praise and thank Apple for not "electing" to use cathode ray tubes from the 80's. Sure, if Apple is going to pay so much money for Samsung's AMOLED and charge customers $1K for their phones, they might as well get the latest and greatest AMOLED from Samsung, not the 6-month old one used in the S8. Likewise, Samsung's latest AMOLED in the S9 is better than Samsung's old AMOLED in iPhone X -- again the only differentiating factor being the default brightness out of box. That's why Samsung's AMOLED has been winning SID awards for years without Apple.

Second, Samsung's AMOLED has been available on their Galaxy lines for many years now; iPhone X display is neither first or special in any way. It shows how hard Samsung is pushing this tech.

I never said that others didn't bring class-leading displays to market. Just look at EIZO and NEC in the display market in regard to colour accuracy and gamut. When people laud them for offering great displays, you rarely hear others chiming in that the actual credit should go to the actual panel maker. And like Apple, they add their own special sauce (in regard to calibration) to the panels the purchase from others.

Sure, if you are a layman who can't differentiate EIZO from NEC, much less Apple from Samsung, this forum probably isn't for you and the SID Display "Application" award given to Apple as described in this article means really nothing to you. Now, if you are among those who believe Apple "designed" it, let's just move along and enjoy your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Now, if you are among those who believe Apple "designed" it, let's just move along and enjoy your life.
You can keep insinuating that everybody that praises Apple for the iPhone X and iPad Pro displays thinks Apple designed it. But that doesn't make it anymore true.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
You need to go back and look at the specs. The extreme rounding of the corners of the "X" mean you either lop them off for the view or you place borders around your display area to ensure all content is seen. Videos, pics, games, etc... have 90 degree corners, not curves.
View attachment 762067
That was one of the glaring differences when I did my reviews side by side - full screen the X lopped off the corners and on some the long sides were also cropped.
[doublepost=1526569177][/doublepost]

That is one aspect I don't get. A OLED screen on my roomies S8 has far less blue/pink drift than the iPhone X I was testing for the same viewing angles. TT on or off. Which also leads to why I don't understand the award.
The reason for the cropping is the aspect ratio.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The reason for the cropping is the aspect ratio.

That is all well and good. Of the three I tested (X, 8+, Razer) the X had the poorest of the three in relation to actual video size while claiming the greatest.
iPhone 8 Plus - 5.5 inch
Razer Phone - 5.7 inch
iPhone X - 5.8 inch

It was also the only one of the three that cropped the display if it didn't border it.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Precursor no offense man but you seem to lack basic logic.
They literally said the same thing about the S9(The Best Smartphone Display) backed up by the record braking details I provide above and the fact the the S9 is the last phone they reviewed.
So how can iphone x's screen be better when it loses in so many categories vs the S9? And that is including color calibration which you actually tough it was better on the iphone.
ROGmaster no offense man but you seem to lack basic logic.
No, they literally didn’t say the same thing about the S9(The Best Smartphone Display). They said it for iPhone X in the quote as I provided above, whereas you only quoted some comments where it doesn’t use the phrase “The Best Smartphone Display”. You just seem to create your own facts out of what you read.

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY
ROGmaster no offense man but you seem to lack basic logic.
No, they literally didn’t say the same thing about the S9(The Best Smartphone Display). They said it for iPhone X in the quote as I provided above, whereas you only quoted some comments where it doesn’t use the phrase “The Best Smartphone Display”. You just seem to create your own facts out of what you read.

I wonder too why Dr. Soneira didn't use the same "best" to describe the S9, while clearly indicating that it earns the highest ever A+ grade ever.

The Galaxy S9 matches or sets many new Smartphone Display Performance Records, earning DisplayMate’s highest ever A+ grade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.