Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to release a next-generation iPad Pro this year with slim bezels and Face ID, like the iPhone X, according to Mark Gurman at Bloomberg News, and evidence of the tablet may have been uncovered in iOS 11.3.

ipad-pro-face-id.jpg
iPad Pro with Face ID mockup by Carlos Guerra

iHelpBR editor Filipe Espósito has discovered strings in the first iOS 11.3 beta that refer to a "modern iPad," which is notable since Apple's software engineers referred to the iPhone X as the "modern iPhone" in older firmware, according to both Espósito and developer Guilherme Rambo.

Yep, there's definitely some references to a "Modern iPad" inside iOS 11.3. pic.twitter.com/JHHone2R1D - Filipe Espósito ? (@filipekids) January 25, 2018

While the "modern iPad" strings could be placeholders, as commonly found in Apple's code, the discovery lends credence to rumors of an iPad Pro with Face ID, which would certainly be a logical next step in Apple's product roadmap.

"Modern iPhone" meant iPhone X. "Modern iPad" is probably an iPad with Face ID https://t.co/pbMAMj3QCe - Guilherme Rambo (@_inside) January 25, 2018

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also expects Apple to release a new iPad Pro with Face ID this year, so there is a good chance the rumor is true. Like the iPhone X, the tablet reportedly lacks a Home button, although it will likely still have an LCD instead of OLED display due to supply, cost, and technological constraints.

It's unclear if the iPad Pro will have a notch for the TrueDepth system, as illustrated in the first mockup above, or if the device will have uniformly slim bezels on all four sides with enough room for the Face ID sensors.

benjamingeskinipadprorender1-800x576.jpg
iPad Pro with slim bezels rendered by Benjamin Geskin

Face ID is also expected to be featured on a second-generation 5.8-inch iPhone X, a larger 6.5-inch version dubbed iPhone X Plus, and a new, cheaper 6.1-inch model with an LCD, aluminum frame, and no 3D Touch.

Article Link: iOS 11.3 Firmware Subtly Hints at iPad With Face ID

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
iPad with FaceID is a natural progression, but isn’t an iPad more often a multi-user device? This is where TouchID is handy for having multiple people’s fingerprints verified.
iPad has never been touted Apple has a multi-user device, otherwise we would have such features in software by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Maybe you should make your own mock-up in the future. There is no need for a notch on the new iPad Pros due to the thicker bezel. The idea that Apple will keep the notch for consistency is nonsensical, and having a notch would defeat part of the iPads ‘magic’ which is its ability to be used in any orientation. That’s not to say it won’t happen, but it isn’t necessary and I would call it unlikely.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Surely they could leave a small bit of bezel for the sensors. It would still feel a lot smaller. On the iPhone X, since it's the same portrait UI point width of an iPhone 7, I don't use it in landscape very often unless I'm watching a video where the notch disappears unless I'm zoomed. But on the iPad that would be constantly annoying because you use it in either orientation all the time.

They already have the 9.7" iPad. I think they should just combine the 10.5" and 12.9" models into an 11.5-11.9" model that has the same UI point width as the 12.9" iPad Pro. With the reduced bezels it could be nearly the same physical size as the current 10.5" but with more usable working space. That would help simplify the iPad line which doesn't sell as well as the iPhone line, increasing profit margins.

Reactions: ThaRuler

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Although I prefer Touch ID on a phone, Face ID would be great on a tablet. I quite frequently unlock my phone when not looking at it, but that’s almost never the case for my iPad.

That said, no notch, please. It just looks awful. A small bezel is vastly preferable.

Reactions: Askolan

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
Like others have said, that mock up is idiotic. You need a small bezel to hold it with two hands, especially in landscape mode.

FaceID is a sure bet as well as a very, very powerful processor and GPU. This may be the first model Apple markets as a full computer replacement.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Unless they can figure out multiple orientations with FaceID, it would be ridiculous to deal with that handicap on such a big device. I am all for an iPad with a vast lcd, though.

It will be interesting to see how this would go over. An iPad almost seems perfect for an under- display TouchID application, but we all know when a flagship model gets new authentication technology, it cascades into other products quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.