iPad Pro keyboard cover closed is UGLY

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aluminum213, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

[​IMG]

Good god that's ugly, one of the most un Apple things I've ever seen

2. sjleworthy, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I dont find it ugly, but it is a crappy unflattering photo.

3. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    If you look at it again with a better understanding of it's design, you will see it's unapologetically beautiful. Years were spent designing every facet and milimeter of the Smart Keyboard to show off the great technological acheivement and absolute beauty. ;)

Kal.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yep, pretty sad. If they produced something like the Surface TypeCover for it, I would feel differently about the iPad Pro.

5. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Unflattering photo? You think it's coincidence Apple hasn't shows a professional shot of the iPad Pro with the cover closed?

It's horrendous and just shows this is a rushed product to boost iPad sales

6. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

7. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I hope some better designed third party keyboards come out during launch.

8. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

That looks like someone bent the keyboard.

9. sjleworthy, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

lol, you guys really knock every minor detail out of proportion in this forum.

From what I've seen the case looks very similar in profile to the original ipad folding cover. yes, there's a raised area for the keyboard obviously, but that top photo just isnt a nice one. it looks like it isnt even closed properly. As nickyD410 also eluded to. something isnt sitting right at all up there.

i've yet to hear any complaints (other than in here) of it's form and profile, and video and imagery i've seen to date look fine to me. certainly not ugly.

perhaps my cynicism isnt as vivid as you guys, i certainly cant see Apple releasing a ****** product :)

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We know that marketing materials are...well...marketing materials, but here's a grab from the keyboard cover's page:
    pro cover grab.jpg
    FWIW, your photo does suck though.

11. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Photo sucks? That's your defense of an ugly product? And you don't even work for Apple

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Or maybe the siren's call of the iPad Pro has caused you to have a different perspective on things. ;)

Frankly, I'm surprised that Apple produced this. The last time they produced a keyboard for the iPad was the keyboard dock for the iPad 1. That was beautiful (even if they failed to take into account that people would have their iPads in a case).

This keyboard cover is inferior in virtually every way to Microsoft's TypeCover for the Surface. If Microsoft produced this keyboard, much ado would be made about the fact that it doesn't close flat. Even in the marketing photos it isn't flat.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm defending nothing; not sure how you deduced that one.

I was simply stating that your photo was of poor quality.

You have no idea who I do or do not work for, by the way.

14. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You don't work for Apple, that doesn't take a genius to figure out

15. jazz1, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015

jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Does it really bulge like that?

I hope Zagg comes up with a film backside protective cover.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Depends on the kind of "genius" you're talking about. Careful about all the assumptions you make.

17. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I'd prefer a leather Apple smart case instead.

18. Macalway macrumors 68000

Someone takes a blurry, uneven, photo with colors off, and you post this as evidence?

Give me a break.

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'll reserve final judgement until I see it and use it, but it does not look promising, from the perspective of someone who has owned several iPad keyboards, and has used a Surface Pro as his work computer for the last several years.

First, it looks as though there is no way to use this setup on anything but a perfectly flat surface. Second, there is no screen angle adjustment. Third, I hate keyboards that have no palm rest space below the keys. I had one of these for the iPad once and it drove me nuts until I figured out that the lack of a palm rest was the problem and I returned it.

Apple should be better than this.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As a piece of designed/engineered hardware, this does seem years behind the new Microsoft Surface Pro Smart Cover.
    Almost a very mature 3rd party cheap effort form Apple, when set against the design/engineering and style of the new Msoft product.

Given this is a PRO device, it still seems so wrong that, you need to type and then lift your hand up to use the screen.
    iOS should support perhaps a pointer to allow better professional apps, and add a trackpad like Msoft have.

Apple are really behind at the moment. I think it can only be as they have done so well, and so BIG now, they have become a little lazy feeling they don't need to try too hard and people will still buy (which they will) but I think they are going to get a shock pretty soon and need to play catchup.

Microsoft are kicking ass big time now under their new leadership and teams, and if they continue Apple are going to have to get their fingers out their butts.

When you are at the front, leading, everyone loves you and getting richer, it's so easy to get lazy and lack the drive you had when you were trying to get there.

21. jqc macrumors regular

I don't know about kicking ass but definitely getting better. I hope MS stages a really big comeback. That would be good news for Apple fans - competition forces innovation!!

22. Macalway macrumors 68000

Anyway, they have a tradition of horrible cases.

Correction: my iPhone 6 case is actually very nice

First one

23. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'll be purchasing the smart keyboard for permanent keyboard on my desk, and a smart case for travel. (will use onscreen keyboard on location)

24. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I have to agree that the current type cover is one of the best physical keyboards for a tablet out there. So much that I was excited for the foldable universal keyboard until I couldn't get used to the split in the thing.

In my case, since I use the keyboard only when I want to sit down an type away long form (on the lap I'm only typing up things like this post, and use the virtual keyboard)... I'm just going to go with either a good 3rd Party keyboard, the K811, or the Magic Keyboard, depends on which feels better to me. The keyboard just needs to be easy to transport, not super portable like Apple is trying to be here. But Microsoft could make a killer accessory if they wanted. I would be surprised if they'd make a type cover for the iPad, though. But if they made something like the universal mobile keyboard where the lid became a stand, but it used the Surface's key mechanism, I'd just use that. Such a beast already almost exists.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

100% agree

I think, eventually, even Apple fans are realising that Apple are getting Lazy.
    When you have little competition and making more and more money it's easy to take a safe a boring path.
    No need to push to hard, just tweak what you have, and people will flock to buy more.

Apple NEEDS others to force them to wake up and move faster.