Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
How many of you use your iPad Pro naked? That is, ceaseless? I returned my 12.9 inch and got the smaller 9.7 inch and it's a delight to use without a case.

I have the Apple silicon case and Smart Keyboard (writing this on it) but when just sitting on the sofa I prefer to take the cases off and use naked.

Just wondering if anyone else uses their iPad naked and if so have had any problems, i.e. Scratches?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I've never used a case on any of my iOS devices (5 iPhones, 3 iPads and an iPod) because I'm very careful with them. Yes, accidents happen, but I've not had an accident in the 4 years of handling iOS devices because I feel that not using a case makes me more aware of the need to be careful.

Edit: I take that back, I have the Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro, but that device never leaves the desk so the keyboard is always attached.

Reactions: alecgold

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I hate scratches on my electronics.

I'm still deciding on if I'm keeping the 9.7 Pro. Once I make a final decision I'll be ordering a glass screen protector + full body case protection off Amazon. Until then I am babying the hell out of it.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Naked iPad Pro: I'm too sexy for my case, too sexy for my case, so sexy it hurts... :D

I like the naked iPad Pro a lot, thin, light, smooth. I sometimes take my iPad out of it's silicone case.
But I can't stand the idea of scratching it. My inlaws have a kitchen table with a natural/uneven stone surface and it scratches up their Macbook and iPad like hell. I just cringe at the idea :) I know, I'm a bit OCD perhaps, but it just like my tools, I try to take care of them, maintain them well. I don't mind wearing them down with use, I like a patina from use and care on good quality stuff, I like the concept of wabi-sabi. But I just can't stand useless, careless, scratching and wasting things

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I have the Smart Cover (grey) for my Space Grey iPP 9.7...and go caseless...kind of.

I am currently trying out the Smart Keyboard and I think I'm going to keep it. My kit for my iPad Air 2 was the Logitech Keys to Go, a Twelve South Compass and a Smart Cover with an iCarbons skin on the back and a Zagg Glass on the front...all carried around in an Incase neoprene sleeve.

With my iPP, I have somewhat the same with an iCarbons skin on the back with a Zagg Glass on the front. I still use the Compass in certain situations (when I am referring to content on my iPP and writing speaking notes on my MBP) and I now have the Smart Keyboard. I like the idea of the Smart Keyboard as it allows me to use the keys more often. It's a process to get setup with the Keys to Go, so I think I'll be going this way.

All that said, I wouldn't go without some sort of light protection on the iPP. The iCarbons protects against scratches on the back and the logo still shows (I like that). The Zagg Glass doesn't interfere with the Apple Pencil and I can't tell that it's even there. Unfortunately the new design of the Zagg Glass (I have the older design on my iPP) has their weird home button cutout with the bottom open. The old design had a complete home button cutout that surrounded the button...this makes it look like there's no glass on the screen.

I carry my iPP and it's accessories in a Moko Leather Folio case that's meant for the MacBook. You can find that here: http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-13-3-Inc...7872&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Moko+MacBook+folio

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I have the Smart Cover (grey) for my Space Grey iPP 9.7...and go caseless...kind of.

I am currently trying out the Smart Keyboard and I think I'm going to keep it. My kit for my iPad Air 2 was the Logitech Keys to Go, a Twelve South Compass and a Smart Cover with an iCarbons skin on the back and a Zagg Glass on the front...all carried around in an Incase neoprene sleeve.

With my iPP, I have somewhat the same with an iCarbons skin on the back with a Zagg Glass on the front. I still use the Compass in certain situations (when I am referring to content on my iPP and writing speaking notes on my MBP) and I now have the Smart Keyboard. I like the idea of the Smart Keyboard as it allows me to use the keys more often. It's a process to get setup with the Keys to Go, so I think I'll be going this way.

All that said, I wouldn't go without some sort of light protection on the iPP. The iCarbons protects against scratches on the back and the logo still shows (I like that). The Zagg Glass doesn't interfere with the Apple Pencil and I can't tell that it's even there. Unfortunately the new design of the Zagg Glass (I have the older design on my iPP) has their weird home button cutout with the bottom open. The old design had a complete home button cutout that surrounded the button...this makes it look like there's no glass on the screen.

I carry my iPP and it's accessories in a Moko Leather Folio case that's meant for the MacBook. You can find that here: http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-13-3-Inc...7872&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Moko+MacBook+folio

I like the look of that Moko. Wouldn't the 11" be a better fit?

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I like the look of that Moko. Wouldn't the 11" be a better fit?
I actually used the 12" one as I have the Compass and was carrying around the Keys to Go as well. I have a case for my Apple Pencil and it fits nicely on the very top of the sleeve. If you just put the Pencil in the side where it's "supposed" to go and don't have anything else to carry, the 11" would probably work great.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I actually used the 12" one as I have the Compass and was carrying around the Keys to Go as well. I have a case for my Apple Pencil and it fits nicely on the very top of the sleeve. If you just put the Pencil in the side where it's "supposed" to go and don't have anything else to carry, the 11" would probably work great.

Same, any chance of a pic?

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Every iPad I've had, incl my lil pro, is naked with Smart Cover.

So thin, so nice.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
This is what I've been using although it won't fit with the keyboard case on. Had this for a few years and it's not got any branding on. Think I got it off Amazon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463864979.366911.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463864992.583925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463865005.203270.jpg

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Had my iPad Air 2 naked for the entire time I owned it and it was fine, but I rarely took it out of the house and I didn't feel comfortable putting it down on a table anywhere in the house. For peace of mind (and actually, it helped the iPad stick firmly to my deck slope) I bought a cheap TPU case for my iPad Pro 9.7, and now it's protected, still thin & easy to grab hold of, and I can put it down any surface knowing the back won't be scratched.

I should add that when I did take it out of the case, it would travel in a sleeve.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Had my iPad Air 2 naked for the entire time I owned it and it was fine, but I rarely took it out of the house and I didn't feel comfortable putting it down on a table anywhere in the house. For peace of mind (and actually, it helped the iPad stick firmly to my deck slope) I bought a cheap TPU case for my iPad Pro 9.7, and now it's protected, still thin & easy to grab hold of, and I can put it down any surface knowing the back won't be scratched.

I should add that when I did take it out of the case, it would travel in a sleeve.

Can you provide a link to the case you use? And sleeve? Thanks!

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Smart Cover - prefer the iPad keyboard to the keyboard cover. It's pretty mushy and weird.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Can you provide a link to the case you use? And sleeve? Thanks!
The case is the Orzly TPU case. UK link here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orzly-Fle...103281?hash=item25b8da4931:g:hVwAAOSwr7ZW8XLU

The cut outs fit well, could be better around the power port but yeah. As far as cheap TPU cases go, it's very good. Doesn't work with the Smart Keyboard though as it goes all the way around the edge, while there is a cut out where the connector is, I am told that it doesn't actually work properly as the magnet does not attach.

The sleeve is not sold any more. It was a simple design and sadly does not fit with the case on, at least not easily.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
My iPhone is always naked... but my iPads are in cases.

On my 12.9" iPP I use the Apple Silicone Case and the Smart Cover. I take the smart cover off when I'm at home or holding it for very long.

This combo has already saved my bacon once. I left my backpack unzipped and when I slung it up on my back my iPP flipped out and fell ~5 feet to concrete. Hit on the corner where the power button is. REALLY messed up the case... but the iPP is just fine. Scary stuff!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The only time I remove the case on my iPad is when I want to slot my iPad into an iPad Rack which I use in class as a makeshift visualiser. Otherwise, I keep it in a case + Smart Cover combo case.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Just put a clear skin on it and it's good to go. Cases for phones is a must but iPads aren't carried around everywhere for most people.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I use my 9.7 and iPhone in the field and there are times I have to set them down and with out my slim Sedio Surface case it would for sure be scratched. It also adds a rubberized grip, kinda like the top of Thinkpads. I respect anyone's choice to do as they wish but no way I would carry and use my devices without some protection. I do not want to look for a pillow every time I lay my device down for a minute.

To each to their own but I do not believe many have a pristine device after a year of naked use unless you are OCD about handling your phone . . . of which I refuse to do!

Now let's hear for all the naked phone and iPad users swearing how their device is "perfect" in every way without using a case.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I use my 9.7 and iPhone in the field and there are times I have to set them down and with out my slim Sedio Surface case it would for sure be scratched. It also adds a rubberized grip, kinda like the top of Thinkpads. I respect anyone's choice to do as they wish but no way I would carry and use my devices without some protection. I do not want to look for a pillow every time I lay my device down for a minute.

To each to their own but I do not believe many have a pristine device after a year of naked use unless you are OCD about handling your phone . . . of which I refuse to do!

Now let's hear for all the naked phone and iPad users swearing how their device is "perfect" in every way without using a case.
Sure! Happy to help... :D

In the 40 years that I've owned computing devices, I've only ever dropped them three times. Once was a notebook (Macbook Pro), the other two times a phone. That one time with the Macbook Pro was WHILE it was in a computer case, hit the corner and dented it a bit but otherwise fine.

Early on in my ownership of an iPad 4 I stopped putting them in cases. I didn't need them for protection and they simply added bulk. It was when I went with an ultrathin case that I realized that it isn't going to protect from a drop and just another unnecessary expense.

I then switched to smartcovers and a clear skin for the back. I then switched to clear Con-Tact paper for the back. Obviously unconventional, but it looks great, inexpensive, protects from scratches, improves grip, and is so thin that it doesn't interfere with using a full case if the mood strikes.

I take my devices with me anywhere and everywhere... even on international trips, so it's not like they're kept under a glass case at a museum. :)

My adult daughter just inherited my iPad 4. She was amazed at how pristine it looks (3+ years later). Part of her surprise was probably due to the fact that she drops her devices at least once a day.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
My iPad gets thrown in my bad a lot so I have a case

If it never left my house I wouldn't put anything on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.