iPad Pro iPad Pro - no 3D touch massive let down!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by I am Sampson, Sep 9, 2015.

1. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

So you buy an obscenely expensive iPad and it doesn't have 3D touch feature in ios9 that apple have just advertised as the next big development on from multitouch so clearly all devices will have it soon.

Both my wife and I were sold on the pro for one each until we saw this. Wife still wants once, but she is also getting a 6s so surely it will instantly make the iPad Pro seem lacking and out of date as it will have all the same software but not be able to use the features in the exact same way my iPhone 6 will seem out of date compared to the 6s. But a brand new iPad, over twice the cost of the 6s phone shouldn't seem out of date like last years phone!

Seems almost like they advertised the big feature of the iPad Pro 2 already, showing how the 1st gen is out of date before it's even launched!

Seems crazy to me and I'm utterly put off now. Anyone else feel the same?

2. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Agreed. I'm not sure what to do, currently rocking an iPad 4 128GB in excellent condition, I was prepared to throw a lot of money towards an iPad Pro with 256GB and 3D touch. No 3D touch and the same capacity has me wondering if I should just stick with the 9.7" form factor and get an LTE iPad Air 2 128GB at Refurb store pricing.

3. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Anyone who knows Anything about Apple and I assume you do being her eon the MacRumors Forums knows that You Do NOT purchase 1St Gen Apple Products aka the Apple Watch the first iPhone with no 3G Radio the first iPad Pro

Why ? because they lack key features deliberately left out Making the next version so much more superior
    by this time next year the iPad Pro 2 will have 3D Force Touch.

on that note Apple Said Today, Do Not Buy any iPads Don't buy them we dont care
    Next Years iPads aka the iPad Air 3 will have an A9X CPU and 3D Force Touch and Apple Pencil features and cost $499 and be Amazing. It will be a Mini iPad Pro

anyone buying an "iPad" in 2015 is throwing away their investment.

4. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

5. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

1st gen device of any new device always misses features. But since the iPhone 6S needs a good selling point it's a completely logical decision on Apple's part.

Next year's iPad Pro will have it.

6. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Not having 3D touch is missing out on what will be a new type of touch interface, quite an omission from a device of such cost!

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I had been holding out on upgrading my 64GB iPad 4 to see what Apple would do re:iPad Pro. Now that I know and Apple deciding to go with Surface Pro-like pricing at Surface RT-like functionality, I'm going full steam ahead with upgrading to the Air 2 and treating myself to some great accessories for it.

8. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

iPad Pro 2 though...

iPad has always received new features later than the iPhone. Look at Siri, Touch ID, etc.

9. diamornte, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

diamornte macrumors regular

Agreed...this is greed! Well-played, Apple. No, it's true they have done this before in 2013 with releasing Touch ID on iPhone 5S but not on iPad Air 1...all just to tempt consumers into upgrading to subsequent releases. It truly does put me off on wanting to purchase iPad Pro, since even Apple admits 3D Touch will completely change the way you interact with the device. But this is the cost of technology - you have to pay to play.

10. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Touch ID makes log-in to the iPad easier/more secure and for Apple pay, really for the iPad those features are not necessary. The 3D touch interface would add loads of functionality in productivity apps, drawing app and general user interface.

I see why they've done it, although it is quite ridiculous that such a productive and 'pro' feature is omitted from the launch of a pro device. Surely that is the reason for the iPad Pro, it should have all the features of every type of touch interface, even launching the device at extra cost the feature would have been worth it. No complaints keeping the iPad Air 2 and Mini 4 as standard screens.

If anything this has made buying an iPad more difficult. If I buy the iPad Pro, I know it will get 3D touch in future (Gen 2 or 3), if I buy an iPad Air 2 who says Apple won't update it early 2016 with iPad Pro screen technology to make it compatible with the Apple Pencil. In the meantime current iPads are supported with iOS 9, so I could get another year out of what I have.

11. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I'm not bothered.. it's a typical move from Apple. I don't really understand it to be honest. I'm still going to pick up an LTE Pro I think.

12. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Did it seem crazy to you when they released the Watch with it, but not the phone?

It's a bummer that it isn't there, true, but it's not that fitting this technology on a 13" device is just a matter of snapping your fingers.

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

Let's see how useful it is first on the iPhone
    If next years iPad don't have 3d touch , then you can complain

14. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

It seemed like the perfect technology for the watch, additional options available with a hard press, eliminating menu's and sub menu's on such a tiny screen.

True it would be quite a feat, but I remember back with the Macbook Air being introduced being a huge jump in technology, so thin and light and no superdrive, the price was astronomical. Same currently with the new Macbook. Apple isn't afraid to introduce new technology and make people pay through the nose, in this case I'd have liked them to do that!!

15. hank moody macrumors 6502

hank moody

3d touch won't work correctly with the apple pencil. that is why it hasn't.

16. abc_ macrumors newbie

I will not complain. I just do not by the Ipad pro without 3d Touch. Reason: if i'm used to 3d touch at the Iphone I would try the 3d touch also on the pad and it will not work...

17. wakinghour macrumors regular

18. abc_ macrumors newbie

If I would by two brand new Gadgets from Apple I would like to have the same usability. If you once get used to 3d touch you would always try this method on the Ipad too...and than you loose time...

19. HenryDJP macrumors 603

No, not me. I don't get that uptight over a tech device. The future will offer more or you could go for a competing product like the Microsoft Surface.

20. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

That actually makes sense.

21. chris459 macrumors member

Although I agree it's a huge let down. I do not believe it was possible due to there keyboard cover. Hence why they introduced the pen. Imagine this massive screen iPad sitting on the keyboard. Then while typing notes you try to force touch (3d Touch) the screen. Seems very likely to fall over. Maybe its impossible to have both 3D Touch and the Pen sensors on a device. Whatever it is I'm sure it will be weird for a user with a iPhone 6S and a iPad Pro. At the same time tho I own a iPhone, iPad, and a Mac. I never try to use the Mac as if it had a touch screen. I am considering waiting for the iPad Pro 2 but I am in need of a iPad. Besides most likely next year the iPad Pro 2 will be missing the new feature that the iPhone 7 has...

22. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah not sure how 3d touch would work along with the pen and the different screen tech. They probably want to fully bake it on the iPhone 6s then bring it over to the iPad line

23. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Would the iPad pro actually need it? When you press on an email on an iPad, it comes up on the right side and there is no need for preview. Same goes for several other functions. I can see occasional force touch/3D touch usage but it might also interfere with Apple pencil usage due to the active digitizer. I think multi touch is still active when using the Apple pencil to allow for multiple functions.

24. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I highly doubt it was left out on purpose. The iPad Pro uses a whole different screen construction compared to an iPhone (and even all other iPads.) It's quite possible since 3D Touch is a whole new tech (even slightly different than Force Touch on the watch) they couldn't add it quite yet to a brand new screen and so large.

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If you knew apple, you would realise they will milk each update by introducing new features slowly. They want you to update each generation . Yeah it sucks , but it's on purpose. Only one product at a time gets a new feature.... Just the way it is . Gotta buy those 2nd, 3rd.... Etc generations

Also force touch is yet to be proven as a must have.