Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Production of OLED displays designed for the next-generation iPad Pro will begin in February 2024, the Korea Herald reports.

OLED-iPad-Pro-Feature.jpg

Sources familiar with the matter speaking to the Korea Herald claim that LG Display is set to initiate OLED production for the new iPad Pro as early as February next year at their facility in Paju, Gyeonggi Province – a time frame around three months sooner than previously expected. The displays are expected to be three times the price of those used in iPhones, which could translate to higher prices for customers. The information largely corroborates a report from last week.

The current 11-inch iPad Pro is equipped with an LCD panel, while the 12.9-inch model features mini-LED backlighting for increased brightness and a higher contrast ratio. OLED technology would eliminate the need for backlighting, with benefits including even higher contrast ratio with deeper blacks, lower power consumption, and more. Apple is expected to use very thin hybrid OLED displays with a combination of flexible and rigid materials, which could allow the next iPad Pro models to be slightly thinner.

Apple is reportedly seeking around 10 million OLED panels for the iPad in 2024. LG is expected to supply around 60% of the OLED panels, with the remaining portion supplied by Samsung, which is expected to focus on the 11-inch model only. Production of the panels for the next-generation iPad Pro is expected to help LG Displays' financial recovery next year. LG and Samsung are said to be currently finalizing price negotiations with Apple.

In addition to OLED display technology, the next-generation iPad Pro models are expected to feature slightly larger screens, the M3 chip, and a redesigned Magic Keyboard accessory.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects the new iPad Pro models to launch in the second quarter of 2024, which runs from April to June. This timeline broadly aligns with the latest rumor from the Korea Herald.

Article Link: iPad Pro OLED Panels Rumored to Start Production in 2024

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
Some more differences between the two technologies

OLED
  • Pros: Perfect black levels, infinite contrast ratio, wide viewing angles, fast response time, low input lag
  • Cons: Can be expensive, susceptible to burn-in
Mini LED
  • Pros: Very high brightness levels, excellent contrast ratio, good viewing angles, fast response time, low input lag, less expensive than OLED
  • Cons: Not perfect black levels, not infinite contrast ratio, not as wide viewing angles as OLED
If you want the best possible picture quality, OLED is the way to go. However, OLED can be expensive, and is susceptible to burn-in.

Mini LED is a good alternative to OLED, especially if you're on a budget. Mini LED offers excellent picture quality, with very high brightness levels and a good contrast ratio. They are also less susceptible to burn-in than OLEDs.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

OLED

• Pros: Perfect black levels, infinite contrast ratio, wide viewing angles, fast response time, low input lag
Mini LED

• Pros: Very high brightness levels, excellent contrast ratio, good viewing angles, fast response time, low input lag, less expensive than OLED
  • Cons: Not perfect black levels, not infinite contrast ratio, not as wide viewing angles as OLED
If you want the best possible picture quality, OLED is the way to go. However, OLED can be expensive, and they are susceptible to burn-in, which is a permanent image retention issue.

Mini LED is a good alternative to OLED, especially if you're on a budget. Mini LED offers excellent picture quality, with very high brightness levels and a good contrast ratio. They are also less susceptible to burn-in than OLEDs.

Featuremini LEDOLED
Black levels
PerfectNear-Perfect
Contrast RatiosInfiniteVery High
Viewing anglesWideGood
Response TimeFastFast
Input LagLowLow
CostExpensiveLess Expensive
Susceptible to burn-inYesLess So

I would add eye strain on the OLED screens, for people susceptible to PWM, but then I realized there are some people susceptible to miniLED screens as well. I can’t work comfortably with OLED screens (that’s why I’m sticking to my 11” M2 iPad Pro), but I haven’t tried any miniLED so I can’t talk from experience.

By the way, I don’t think miniLED is susceptible to burn-in. After all, it is an LCD with a full local dimming array of backlight LEDs. Also, I don’t think viewing angles on OLED are “good”, I think the LCD angles are much better. The black levels on OLED are better in my opinion. And lastly, the response time will be faster on OLED.

So, I don’t fully agree with your table, but thank you for your effort anyway.

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
"In addition to OLED display technology, the next-generation ‌iPad Pro‌ models are expected to feature slightly larger screens,"

I've only heard rumors of a larger 12.9, not a larger 11 inch.

Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, please stop making the screens on the "smaller" options bigger.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
"In addition to OLED display technology, the next-generation ‌iPad Pro‌ models are expected to feature slightly larger screens,"

I've only heard rumors of a larger 12.9, not a larger 11 inch.

Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, please stop making the screens on the "smaller" options bigger.
I guess they mean retaining the current size, and reducing the margins so there can be a bit more screen real state. However, I wholeheartedly agree with you: a slightly smaller chassis for a 11” iPad Pro, or even slightly reducing the screen to 10.5” for a noticeably smaller iPad, would be very welcome.

Reactions: LedRush

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
OLED also being much thinner and lighter might contribute to iPad Pros becoming thinner. Apple should keep them at the same dimension and increase the battery size though.

Reactions: Mescagnus

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

OLED
Mini LED
If you want the best possible picture quality, OLED is the way to go. However, OLED can be expensive, and is susceptible to burn-in.

Burn-in is a non-issue on a tablet already (tech has improved immensly, and they don't stay 24h/7 on the same image, like some monitors could), and the rumored technology used by Apple will make it even more so, even at very high brightness, but this new technology also makes it more expensive than the OLED used by Samsung for instance. Comparing my M1 12.9 iPad and my S8 ultra I much prefer the colors on the iPad (although the size alone is a big advantage for the ultra for me), so I do hope that a larger OLED iPad will come at some point, until then no new iPad for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: klasma and sunny5

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
That's great Apple. You've finally developed something new for the Pro hardware. Now can you please take a page from mid-2000's Apple and slide down the already old hardware features of Face ID and 120Hz display to your mid-tier iPads? Enough holding them hostage, it's been 6 years now.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
If there is a 13.1” OLED model with M3 in the same body as the 12.9” miniLED, with possibly a larger battery and rearranged landscape faceID, I will take it in a heartbeat. Could be the best iPad for the next 5+ years.
TB4, Pencil 3/Pro and a new Magic Keyboard with Function Keys would also be amazing.
I just realized I expect to drop $3,000 on this iPad, I’m sure of it…

Reactions: profets

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021

OLED
There are way more cons than those such as power consumption, Max brightness, Pixel density, and more.

People need to aware that 13~32 inch OLED display is a NICHE itself that it's too expensive to manufacture and yet too susceptible to burn-in due to the pixel density. Even OLED TV with low pixel density will have burn in within 10~20 months. Adding max brightness, high resolution, high pixel density, high quality, power consumption, and more, it will be worse than mini-LED and that's why 13-32 inch OLED display is so niche. I guess people know nothing about OLED after all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.