Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnegg

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2017
It‘s great to see awesome displays in mobile devices. But how come the big displays can‘t keep up? A Studio Display costs much more than an iPad and the display does not even have some dimming zones. And there is no competition on the market, for 32" 6K it‘s like two choices.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
OLED doesn't have blooming at all since every pixel is independent and turns off completely if not in use
Fun Fact: It does have blooming if your eyes suck;) Learned this a few years ago, take care of your eyes people, don't wear glasses all the time if you don't need em/take breaks regularly/etc. Maybe red lights tho I haven't got deep into that yet.

Also that roadmap can't be legit can it? That many years before we get OLED? Seems like a pretty big gap even with supply chain issues.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
As reported before, these are not typical OLED screens Apple plans to use. These are using a double-stacked technology never before used on any consumer product. Ordinary OLED is dim compared to other screen types, since overly bright OLED pixels lead to burn-in. The typical OLED display hovers around 400 nits peak brightness, though some can get brighter for short periods of time. These new double-stacked OLED panels are designed to overcome that brightness deficit by putting two OLED layers together, thereby increasing brightness, but not at the cost of individually brightened pixels that would increase the chance of burn-in. A bad comparison would be to place two equal flashlights next to each other. One by itself can be rather dim, but put two of them next to each other and the brightness goes up.

i expect that Apple will be shooting for the same brightness levels as their current mini-LED screens, i.e. 600 nit SDR, 1000 sustained HDR, 1600 nit peak HDR. Whether they can do that, we’ll find out. This would eliminate the inherent blooming of mini-LED while not suffering the brightness deficit of standard OLED, the best of both worlds until micro-LED becomes cost effective enough for consumer products, still years away.

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Did anyone catch the iPad Pro sizes?? 20.3” iPad Pro??

IMG_1510.jpeg

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Did anyone catch the iPad Pro sizes?? 20.3” iPad Pro??

Look to the right on the same line . ‘Foldable’ , not so much as a ‘pad’ as a clamshell ‘laptop’ .

That said the whole thing looks pretty dubious . 21.5 iMac … since when in last 2 years ? IPad Pro 11” sales at equal magnitude as the #1 selling Mac product ….. eeer probably not ( probably can’t add up all the pro options and match MBA volume ). Not one , but three big screen iMacs products . what are they smoking ??

The whole things looks about as real as a $3 bill/note.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPadified

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Lighter? The iPad Pro 11 weighs 1.03 pounds. The iPad Pro 12.9 weighs 1.5 pounds. They don’t need to be lighter, people need to bulk up. Good grief…I’ve got both and neither of them are “heavy”.
A 12.9 and Magic Keyboard weigh more than a MacBook Air. Over half of that is the keyboard, but for me I virtually never have my iPad separated from the keyboard, and having an iPad configuration heavier than an Air is pretty ridiculous. So, yes, I want lighter.

Reactions: Fraserpatty

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Should be announced at WWDC. Hopefully the price hike due to OLED display will not be huge.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
A 12.9 and Magic Keyboard weigh more than a MacBook Air. Over half of that is the keyboard, but for me I virtually never have my iPad separated from the keyboard, and having an iPad configuration heavier than an Air is pretty ridiculous. So, yes, I want lighter.
There’s a problem with being top-heavy, at least with the Magic Keyboard. Apple made the keyboard deliberately heavier to prevent the combination from toppling over backwards. It’s also the reason the iPad can’t be tilted back further. Whatever the weight of the iPad, the base has to be heavier. You can buy a third-party keyboard with a kickstand back or use a folio-type keyboard that folds into a triangle for support. That is probably the only way to have the keyboard be lighter than the iPad, similar to the keyboard Apple made for the 10’th Gen iPad. The drawback is that the keyboard is a lot deeper than it is with the Magic Keyboard, takes up a lot more desk space, and is unusable in laps.

Apple’s rumored to be working on a new keyboard. We’ll find out what’s in store. If they keep a similar ”floating” design, I don’t think they can make it lighter.

Reactions: LedRush

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Ok but what I need is for the iPad mini 7 to not be delayed in fact please drop everything and speed it up and give one to me now like I'll wait here please go get it
March will be here in no time. Maybe those four extra months will mean the difference between an A16 bionic and a gaming-capable A17 Pro?

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
There’s a problem with being top-heavy, at least with the Magic Keyboard. Apple made the keyboard deliberately heavier to prevent the combination from toppling over backwards. It’s also the reason the iPad can’t be tilted back further. Whatever the weight of the iPad, the base has to be heavier. You can buy a third-party keyboard with a kickstand back or use a folio-type keyboard that folds into a triangle for support. That is probably the only way to have the keyboard be lighter than the iPad, similar to the keyboard Apple made for the 10’th Gen iPad. The drawback is that the keyboard is a lot deeper than it is with the Magic Keyboard, takes up a lot more desk space, and is unusable in laps.

Apple’s rumored to be working on a new keyboard. We’ll find out what’s in store. If they keep a similar ”floating” design, I don’t think they can make it lighter.
I get that. But a lighter iPad can lead to a lighter Magic Keyboard, no?

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Sure, but that depends on how much you’re willing to pay for a titanium frame in its entirety. They’re not going to use plastic, and rumors have the iPad getting a bigger screen to 13”, though rumors have it that will be achieved with smaller bezels, not a bigger chassis. Still, going entirely titanium would probably raise prices by a huge amount. That small amount of titanium on the iPhone 15 Pro Max cost $30 to make, which would raise the price by about $90 (rule of thumb is to triple cost). A titanium body would be many times the amount of titanium on the iPhone, an impractical amount.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Relatively immaterial if the primary purpose of the 'keyboard' is to be for an immobile , desktop docking station. You are trying to apply mobility laptop requirements on the object when its primary purpose to to be a desktop object.

As pointed out in the description of the context you quoted there are limits to the adjustability of the iPad (tilt, swivel, height ) because the iPad can overwhelm the base and tip over. If try to increase the ergonomics then really can't give away the stability.

The core disconnect is the belief that Apple designed the 'keyboard' as the other 'half' of a laptop. It isn't. That is why it is an odd comparison to the MBA weight. It isn't trying to be a laptop. It is much closer to it trying to be an iMac (even more so with the current "iPad on stick" iMac 24" design ).

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Relatively immaterial if the primary purpose of the 'keyboard' is to be for an immobile , desktop docking station.
That's a big "if" seeing as the vast majority of people don't use it that way. Regardless, it still doesn't matter as a lighter iPad would mean that we could have a lighter Magic Keyboard, even for the small percentage of people who use it in the way you describe.

b99g51

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016

Production of OLED displays designed for the next-generation iPad Pro will begin in February 2024, the Korea Herald reports.

OLED-iPad-Pro-Feature.jpg

Sources familiar with the matter speaking to the Korea Herald claim that LG Display is set to initiate OLED production for the new iPad Pro as early as February next year at their facility in Paju, Gyeonggi Province – a time frame around three months sooner than previously expected. The displays are expected to be three times the price of those used in iPhones, which could translate to higher prices for customers. The information largely corroborates a report from last week.

The current 11-inch iPad Pro is equipped with an LCD panel, while the 12.9-inch model features mini-LED backlighting for increased brightness and a higher contrast ratio. OLED technology would eliminate the need for backlighting, with benefits including even higher contrast ratio with deeper blacks, lower power consumption, and more. Apple is expected to use very thin hybrid OLED displays with a combination of flexible and rigid materials, which could allow the next iPad Pro models to be slightly thinner.

Apple is reportedly seeking around 10 million OLED panels for the iPad in 2024. LG is expected to supply around 60% of the OLED panels, with the remaining portion supplied by Samsung, which is expected to focus on the 11-inch model only. Production of the panels for the next-generation iPad Pro is expected to help LG Displays' financial recovery next year. LG and Samsung are said to be currently finalizing price negotiations with Apple.

In addition to OLED display technology, the next-generation iPad Pro models are expected to feature slightly larger screens, the M3 chip, and a redesigned Magic Keyboard accessory.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects the new iPad Pro models to launch in the second quarter of 2024, which runs from April to June. This timeline broadly aligns with the latest rumor from the Korea Herald.

Article Link: iPad Pro OLED Panels Rumored to Start Production in 2024
Having an ipad pro 12.9 inch model, you have to scrap the laptop and desktop. Or if you decide to keep it in the glass display for burning DVDs and CDs, that’s a reasonable reason to keep it as a souvenir. However, a small footnote to the preference. The ipad pro itself needs a slight reinvention and revamp in the software department, in order to make the device a worthy computing platform, in order to be able to completely replace the laptop and desktop machines. These computing platforms ideally are so old and outdated, that i locked all of my 3 laptops away in the safe and haven’t used them for a while. My macbook pro is of 2019 model and fujitsu lifebook 936 tablet only a few years old. And then the toshiba 16 inch laptop is too big and heavy. I’m fully engaged with my ipad pro 5th gen. But i can’t wait until the new updated ipad pro comes out so i can upgrade.

Apple needs to comprehend a very important message. It’s time to load more technological abilities onto the ipad pro to enable to users to manage the hard drive as the full computer as well as full functional operating system that will allow to perform and mimic every function and feature of the full computing platform.

i strongly believe that the ipad pro is going to be the main computing platform for the next 50 years to come. Nobody will ever use or remember the laptops or desktops. The sooner the Apple fulfills the ipad based computing demand, the better will be for everyone. But it cannot crawl and creep on it. Apple has to transition from laptop/desktop to the ipad swiftly and increasingly.

ipad pro prices are higher than the laptop prices, yet the current ipad pro is no grater in performance and capabilities than an iphone. Maintain the same ipados interface, but enhance its capabilities and versatility. The hardware capacity already is highly competitive with the laptop and desktop. Only needs the operating system enhancement and improvement.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.