iPad iPad Pro thread (merged)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Will0827, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Will0827, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

Will0827 macrumors regular

Will0827

I was thinking about the ipad pro which we all know is coming have no evidence of its existence but still know it will be releseased eventually. It ocurred to me what if appe took the bottom portion of the 13inch macbook air and took off the keyboard and track pad and slapped a screen on that bad boy and bam ipad pro. Should it be made this way it could retain its two usb ports and mad safe connector and sd card slot. The air is pretty thin closed so im sure they could retain that. Also they could use the macbook retinas display on it because im sure they have plently of screens laying around. Maybe someone could photoshop this and see what it would look like. What are your guys thoughts

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

We do? :confused:

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

There's no evidence of an iPad pro other than rumors. Look at the Surface Pro - are people rushing to buy it?

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

It makes sense that if you need another hand to often use an iPad ie 3rd hand to hold it, we don't have 3 hands so that 3rd hand is a table top, then you may aswell go bigger. So a bigger iPad makes sense. Touch interface. Apple has probably been using them for years in their secret testing area just to see how they get on with them.

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Maybe not but the Surface Pro 2 is selling quite well! I have the 512GB Pro 2 and it is serious hardware.

I still want a iPad Pro with a 12" + screen

6. Skika macrumors 68030

Haha, no.

7. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Every thread about a upsized ipad or "pro" offering is greeted with snark about how no one is interested in this technology. And yet the surface pro is a success and there is persistant interest here at mac rumors in hybrids and pen technology. The problem with win hybrids is the dearth of win8 apps. If there was a hybrid that featured access to ios apps--i think it would be a huge success. Meantime I'll make due with the surface

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm genuinely curious: what is your definition of "success" here, and what are the sales-to-customers figures?

Last I was aware, Microsoft wasn't publishing any sales-to-channel or sales-to-customer figures. Has that changed?

Before you cite "sold out everywhere" as proof of success, remember that status is meaningless with no concrete info on whether retailers had two units or twenty units or two hundred units per outlet.

(I'm not anti-Surface -- I'm just against unsubstantiated claims... ;) )

9. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Bloomberg reported that Microsoft has sold just over 400,000 Surface Pro units in just over a month. Not bad, not ipad numbers, obviously.

10. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Why not just have a macbook air with a touch screen and removable keyboard? For genuine productivity most people are going to need a keyboard. Or hell just give the MacBook air retina and a touchscreen, maybe a modified ipad esque OS that can run OSX programs and ios programs and you're done.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks, I hadn't been able to find anything on the topic and your post gave me the key: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-is-said-to-have-sold-400k-Surface-Pro-tablets.89866.0.html

The question remains whether those sales are into the channel in Samsung style or to end-users. I don't know, though with the 400k figure I'd lean more towards end-user sales.

I hope it does well, if that's what consumers want. More competition is better for all of us. The only affinity I have for Apple is that they seem to understand making stuff work simply and easily for everyday users. If someone else comes along and offers a better way for me to do what I want/need to do, I'll shift to that platform (has to be enough better to balance the platform change effort/costs)

12. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I am not sure if common "street" users will want an ipad of this size, but remember that a lot of business users might.

Graphic design, selling at trade shows, etc.

Just because you or I don't want one does not mean there is no place in the market for it.

R

13. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

With the option to run osx or ios on the touchscreen. But what if laplets canabalize the tablet that was canabalizing the laptop?

People dont really understand hybrids. I use my win8 machine (sony viao duo) as a laptop unless I need to use the pen--then I use it as a tablet. I dont need a unified ui as I am using the machine in divers modalities

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This sentence gave me a headache.:rolleyes:

I don't think that Apple will ever release an iPad Pro.

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I do think that apple will drop the low end macbook air and replace it with a "iPad Pro" I am not sure about the name though. I would expect this for next fall or Spring of 2015

16. Will0827 thread starter macrumors regular

Will0827

I believe Apple will eventually release bigger sized tablet it will become to much of a market to ignore and apple there has to be an offering for those who want that type of product from apple. Maybe the only current example of making a product to fill a space is the ipad mini and its been a great success (very happy with my retina mini). As the surface and other surface like products gain traction whether its a method of forced adaptation or people actually liking the products. We will need a apple version of said product categories. It doesnt matter now if they arent the first to the party, apples implementations seem to make the most sense not in all aspects but they get it right most of the time.

17. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I was going to say the same thing. I don't "know" of any iPad Pro and I don't believe Apple would make such a device.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd disagree with that point, I'm not one of those who expect it to be released.

19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Little doubt that tablets are the future. While I agree that the iPad Pro is still only rumor, if I were a betting man, I would bet on this rumor without hesitation. :apple:

20. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

One problem - the Surface 2 Pro isn't a tablet. Not really. Sure it's got a touchscreen and the Metro interface but it only makes sense when pared with a keyboard cover (and ideally the type cover with proper keys not the touch version). Which is fine if that's what you want but it's hardly a revolutionary product category. As for being 'too much of a market to ignore'... if the figure of 400,000 units mentioned above is accurate then this really isn't a problem for Apple. To put it into context they sold 22.9 MILLION iPad's in the Christmas quarter last year and this year is expected to be higher even with the Retina Mini being supply constrained for most of that time! Right now there's no evidence that Surface is gaining traction from anywhere other than the existing Windows market and even then it'll depend on how many MS actually made this time round.

Before anyone jumps on the 'fanboy' bandwagon, I've actually got a Surface 2 sitting about three feet away. It's my work tablet, bought at my request and is damn near perfect for the environment I work in and my role within it. But to get the best out of it you need the type cover and - IMO of course - it's really more of a cheap ultrabook than an iPad rival. Same with the Surface 2 although that's aiming for the MacBook Air and similar devices. Apple already have a player in that market, in fact they've got two with both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

As for an iPad Pro, yes I can see Apple making one but anyone thinking it's going to be a touch-based OSX tablet isn't paying attention (again, just my opinion). Much like Windows before it OSX isn't really touch optimised and there's no practical benefit to lopping off the keyboard just to reattach it for productivity purposes. Indeed it kinda screws up the design in some ways as the weight all shifts to the tablet which makes it top heavy in use on a desk or lap. Now a bigger screen iPad, possibly with a digitiser, used as a sort of 'preview' of the next mainstream revision - that I could see. It'd be a good way to roll out increased resolution or quad core processors on a (relatively) small scale while removing some of the current battery limitations. Will they do it? I suspect the answer is "only if it can deliver something that the iPad Air can't" but we'll have to wait and see...

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

but you're not a man ;)

I think Apple's success with tablets is that they tried not to make their tablets a desktop variant. I agree tablets are supplementing a lot of tasks and activities of laptops yet that doesn't mean the natural progression is to be running desktop operating systems (obviously MS with the surface is doing just that).

Time will tell

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am no man.

23. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I disagree. I use the surface as a tablet to write on with the keyboard off or flipped over and also use it as a laptop with the keyboard connecting in standard clamshell fashion. There is no need to unify win 8 under metro and have the Surface operate as a touch only device. Aside from some quirky choices about locating settings and the start menu--I find the os completely intuitive.

If I were not a pen user I would not find the Surface a very compelling product. The pure tablet experience is so-so or worse due to the form factor and the limited app offerings. But if you need a pen its a great choice.

24. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You MS-Surface bashers... like it or not, it's here to stay and will only make more inroads as it evolves.

Yes, the sales aren't Apple-esque but MS has a way of ruthlessly devouring vast markets even when they're this late to the party. (e.g., Internet Explorer vs. Netscape).