Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Notch or no notch I don’t care. Just give me no bezels.

I'd rather have a little bezel for holding it etc. but yeah it could probably be smaller than what there is now.

and I don't really care about having face id or not. if it's there, awesome, if not, also awesome. for the pro I would rather have the OLED screen with 4k UHD (and the iTunes store letting us stream 4k files), better sound from the speakers, and a 1TB storage option. then give me and iOS 12 with better features like plug in support (for things like template files, brushes in art apps, photo files, and loading keyboards with out a separate app or loading only the language support we need)

and fix the dang smart keyboard. i'm tired of having to have mine replaced every 2-3 months

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Does FaceID not work in landscape? I never heard anyone really talk about this and just assumed it didn’t work.

No, it doesn't. And If I have to be honest, I don't remember a single time (from all these years using iPhone) when I needed to unlock it on a landscape. To me it makes absolutely no sense..... since when you unlock, things are displayed on portrait mode.
[doublepost=1520495309][/doublepost]
Glad I picked up a current gen iPad Pro 10.5 recently..
It might be the last iPad to have TouchID. I'm not yet convinced FaceID is better/faster/easier, so pleased that I have TouchID iPad.

I got convinced soon as I started to use Face ID. Is it faster? No. Is it more convenient for me? Hell yes! I don't even have to think about it, just pick the phone and swipe up to unlock. And it is well integrated with key chain and other apps that otherwise would require you to scan your fingers. It makes a lot of difference to me.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
notch isn't that bad. It isn't a reason to complain.

I hate Tim Cook, but the notch isn't a big deal.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The notch isn't such a big deal - as long as Apple includes chisel to remove it.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Glad I picked up a current gen iPad Pro 10.5 recently..
It might be the last iPad to have TouchID. I'm not yet convinced FaceID is better/faster/easier, so pleased that I have TouchID iPad.

I have an iphone X and I now find it a little irritating to have to use touch ID on my ipad pro. Face ID will be a nice update for me. However they will need to figure out what to do about landscape mode which iphone X doesn't support at all. Not just the recognition working in landscape, but people's hands obscuring the lens area when held that way. Not a big deal to briefly twist an iphone for faceID, but a larger ipad would be a pain.

Also no notch please - no need to go max screen area on a tablet, slightly larger bezels to include the faceID hardware is fine. They'd still be slimmer than the current ones.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The article didnt speculate if the bezels would shrink and the screen stay the same size? Or if the screen size would increase into the bezels? Hmm. I'd also love to see an ipad mini pro the same physical size as the current mini, but with no bezels. But seems like that ain't happening.

Regarding the notch? I would imagine Apple will shrink the bezels all the way round but leave enough to hide the face ID cameras and not have a bezel. But what do I know? Nothch! What is it good for?! Absolutely Nothing! Huh! Say it again! Aaaaaaahhhh!

I guess it is easy to predict Apple. They do whatever to inconvenience long term users, remove features we love and add useless features we don’t like.

I am going to buy an iPad Pro 2017 and stop wasting time on the 2018 version. Besides speed bump, the rest may be nothing but disappointments like the 2016-17 MBP.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I haven't upgraded my iPhone 6S to an iPhone X for the sole reason that I don't want FaceID on my phone. I think TouchID is perfect as it is, and a far better interface for a phone. I unlock my phone many, many times a day, and I usually am holding it down, at arm's length. Using a fingerprint to unlock provides a more fluid experience.

I think FaceID is better suited on the iPad, however. I spend less time unlocking my iPad every day, and when I do, I interact with it for a longer period of time. And it's usually propped up, closer to my face. Definitely excited about this.

Reactions: Bacillus

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I have a very similar device--iPad mini 2! It is SO slow and everything is choppy. And it doesn't support split screen or anything. I really want an upgrade too, but my super casual content-consumption-type iPad usage doesn't warrant $600+ for an iPad Pro. Besides, I only like the iPad Pro for it's display (Seriously, True Tone, laminated display, Wide Gamut, and Pro Motion are INCREDIBLE. But I can live without it.) and I dont even need or want the Apple Pencil.

That's why I'm mostly really intrigued by this rumored $269 iPad. If they make an even newer 9.7" iPad with maybe an A11 CPU, slightly better display, etc that is under $300, can do split screen, etc etc, id be stoked. And really tempted to buy, despite my precarious financial situation.

I probably would wait for awhile and grab a cheap cellular one on Swappa though. I don't explicitly need cellular, but it's a non-upgradeable device and I'd love to have the option if possible. Plus I'm a pokemon GO player (still, I know) and GPS is a must for that. Wifi-based hotspot location simply doesn't work for that game. I'm also a cellular network nerd so if I could pop in a spare SIM to test networks in my area, and not have to deal with that on my main phone, that would be fun for me.
I agree with you and I am kinda in the same boat - but I am more about future proofing. The $269 iPad is going to be maybe a little better than the Air.

Even the current lineup - if I want a jump in speed, the only option is the Pro. Some iPads are rocking the same processor as the 6S (i think..correct me if I am wrong) so the only big enough upgrade is to get a Pro.

This is why once they drop the price on the older model, it will still last a few years and probably longer then the already outdated upcoming 269$ iPad.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
Simple physics: More weight in your hand (as compared to an iPhone X) necessitates more of your finger wrapping around the front of the device. The notchless unit with slightly larger bezels all the way around is by far the smarter design, as it would reduce instances of accidental finger detection around the edges of the device.

Apple supposedly has a patented method for mitigating this issue -- but I can attest from my personal use of several iPads and my iPhone X, that either Apple isn't using that patent yet or the current implementation is sorely lacking in effectiveness.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
No notch please. The notch does not help in any way to UI/GUI/UX, its just a fix for a technology that is not yet available.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
About this notch thing... Assuming that the 2018 iPad PRO 12.9" has the same resolution as the current one (at 2732x2048). If there is a notch in the 2018 model, will the resolution be the same but some of the pixels will be gone due to the notch? Alternatively, will apple add additional pixels to the wings on each side of the notch? I saw youtube video of apps cosmetically removing the notch and still call it 2732x2048? From the iPhone X, it looks like it means making useable pixels invisible. If some of the 2732x2048 pixels will be gone for the notch, then it is bad because it means that even apps can make the edge straight, part of the screen real estate and part of the movies will be cut. Based on what they have done to the iPhone X, which is more likely to happen?

Last edited:

Clearlake

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018

Apple's rumored iPad Pro with Face ID will likely be released in the second quarter of 2018, according to Rosenblatt Securities analyst Jun Zhang.

ipad-pro-face-id-mockups-800x536.jpg

iPad Pro with Face ID mockups via Ben Geskin and Carlos Guerra

If accurate, the timeframe suggests Apple will unveil the new iPad Pro models at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which will likely take place June 4-8 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California. Apple similarly unveiled its current iPad Pro lineup at WWDC last year.

Zhang expects the revamped iPad Pro to have slimmer bezels and no home button, in line with the iPhone X. The revamped design will likely be featured on both the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, although his research note didn't specify.

Apple's plans to release an iPad Pro with Face ID were first revealed by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said the refresh would occur in 2018. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was a bit more specific, noting the iPad Pro with Face ID would debut "a little more than a year" after the current models.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro and second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro launched in June 2017, so it's not entirely clear if "a little more than a year" meant WWDC 2018 or Apple's annual September event where it introduces new iPhones.

The new iPad Pro models will likely retain LCDs instead of OLED displays due to supply, cost, and technological constraints. It's unclear if the tablets will have a notch for the TrueDepth sensor housing, or if the device will have uniformly slim bezels on all four sides with enough room for the components.

A supply chain report out of China recently claimed the new iPad Pro models will be faster thanks to an octa-core A11X Bionic chip with three high-performance "Monsoon" cores and five energy-efficient "Mistral" cores.

There's no word on potential pricing yet, but the new iPad Pro lineup will likely cost more than the current 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch models, which start at $649 and $799 respectively in the United States. Since the new models won't have OLED displays, however, the price increase might not be substantial. Apple is also rumored to release a new 9.7-inch iPad for $259 in March, while the fate of the iPad mini remains uncertain.

Zhang also believes Apple may be planning to unveil a (PRODUCT)RED iPhone in the near future. Based on Apple's past (PRODUCT)RED devices, which included a (PRODUCT)RED version of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, it makes sense that a red iPhone and iPhone 8 Plus could be in the works. There's also a possibility Apple could be planning to unveil a (PRODUCT)RED iPhone X, but Zhang's predictions have been a little unclear on this point.

Article Link: iPad Pro With Face ID Will 'Likely' Debut at WWDC 2018 in Early June
That "Notch" mockup seems pretty bad to me. Not because of the notch but because the bezels are too small. It'll make it hard to hold without inadvertently touching the screen.

Bezels are not a bad thing when it comes to devices this big.
All Apple needs to do is create a border area around the screen that is not touch sensitive, this would eliminate all the complaints about holding the iPad but still provide the largest screen possible. Heck if you could adjust the size of the nonresponsive area that would be awesome!

Reactions: hajime

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I have the iPhone X and I really do not like the Face ID at all. It has let me down countless times, the finger print id on my iPad Pro (and my previous iPhones I've owned before that was/is superb). I longingly look at my partners iPhone 8 Plus and the finger print id. I am all for going forward, but this is the first Apple innovation I really do not like at all. I have never really loved the iPhone X like Ive loved my (all of them) past iPhones. Do not ruin the iPad experience for me please.

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
It will probably feature two Face ID sensors: one on the top left and one on the bottom right.

Otherwise you’d be likely to obstruct the Face ID sensor with your fingers when you pick up the iPad in landscape orientation.

Once you rule out the single Face ID sensor, and embrace a multiple Face ID sensor configuration, only the notch-less design makes sense.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Oh please let there not be a notch on the next ipad. I tolerate it on iPhone but I don't think I can tolerate it on a tablet.

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
Will they fix photo sync of large photo libraries in iOS 11? If they don’t, I wouldn’t touch one with a ten foot pole. Reason I have an iPad in the first place is to be able to have my entire 20,000 pics and videos on my device. iOS 11 has made that virtually impossible. It takes a great deal of pain to sync the library after iOS 11 was introduced.

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

Apple's rumored iPad Pro with Face ID will likely be released in the second quarter of 2018, according to Rosenblatt Securities analyst Jun Zhang.

ipad-pro-face-id-mockups-800x536.jpg

iPad Pro with Face ID mockups via Ben Geskin and Carlos Guerra

If accurate, the timeframe suggests Apple will unveil the new iPad Pro models at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which will likely take place June 4-8 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California. Apple similarly unveiled its current iPad Pro lineup at WWDC last year.

Zhang expects the revamped iPad Pro to have slimmer bezels and no home button, in line with the iPhone X. The revamped design will likely be featured on both the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, although his research note didn't specify.

Apple's plans to release an iPad Pro with Face ID were first revealed by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said the refresh would occur in 2018. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was a bit more specific, noting the iPad Pro with Face ID would debut "a little more than a year" after the current models.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro and second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro launched in June 2017, so it's not entirely clear if "a little more than a year" meant WWDC 2018 or Apple's annual September event where it introduces new iPhones.

The new iPad Pro models will likely retain LCDs instead of OLED displays due to supply, cost, and technological constraints. It's unclear if the tablets will have a notch for the TrueDepth sensor housing, or if the device will have uniformly slim bezels on all four sides with enough room for the components.

A supply chain report out of China recently claimed the new iPad Pro models will be faster thanks to an octa-core A11X Bionic chip with three high-performance "Monsoon" cores and five energy-efficient "Mistral" cores.

There's no word on potential pricing yet, but the new iPad Pro lineup will likely cost more than the current 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch models, which start at $649 and $799 respectively in the United States. Since the new models won't have OLED displays, however, the price increase might not be substantial. Apple is also rumored to release a new 9.7-inch iPad for $259 in March, while the fate of the iPad mini remains uncertain.

Zhang also believes Apple may be planning to unveil a (PRODUCT)RED iPhone in the near future. Based on Apple's past (PRODUCT)RED devices, which included a (PRODUCT)RED version of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, it makes sense that a red iPhone and iPhone 8 Plus could be in the works. There's also a possibility Apple could be planning to unveil a (PRODUCT)RED iPhone X, but Zhang's predictions have been a little unclear on this point.

Article Link: iPad Pro With Face ID Will 'Likely' Debut at WWDC 2018 in Early June
Ruin a screens device that’s made to watch stuff and play games just so you can make sure no one else gets onto your precious iPad that never leaves your house

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.