MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Korea's ETNews today reports that LG will supply Apple with Mini-LED displays for new iPad models set to launch in the first quarter of 2021. The report, highlighted by Patently Apple, claims that LG will likely begin mass production of the displays at the end of this year.

iPad-Pro-Mini-LED.jpg

Mini-LED backlighting provides many of the same benefits as OLED displays, including higher brightness, improved contrast ratio, and increased power efficiency.

Rumors of a Mini-LED iPad Pro have been plentiful. Back in June, cryptic-but-reliable leaker L0vetodream said that Apple planned to launch new iPad Pro models with an A14X chip, 5G, and a Mini-LED display in the first half of 2021. Multiple sources have claimed this iPad Pro will be a 12.9-inch model, including analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and DigiTimes.

Apple last refreshed the iPad Pro in March, but it was a relatively minor update, with new features including an A12Z Bionic chip that is essentially an A12X chip with an extra GPU core enabled, an Ultra Wide camera that enables 0.5x zoom, a LiDAR Scanner for enhanced augmented reality, and better sounding microphones. It was the first update to the iPad Pro since the device received a major redesign in October 2018.

Today's report claims that Apple also plans to use Mini-LED displays for future MacBook and iMac models, as previously rumored.

Article Link: iPad Pro With Mini-LED Display Expected to Launch in First Quarter of 2021

Reactions: ascender

thadoggfather

Suspended
Oct 1, 2007
is miniLED a stop gap for microLED?

Would love some new screen tech in some Apple device, regardless, to see for myself though!

Reactions: calstanford

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'll get one of these. But I refuse to go ARM on the Mac
Big mistake to ditch Intel and AMD. They have years of experience designing Processors. APPLE makes errors. lots just look at macOS beta's.
Apple also has years of experience designing processors.

And many of the people who designed processors with me at AMD, Sun and Exponential Technology now work at Apple. So do many of the people who designed processors like Alpha at DEC. And a guy who was in charge of designing processors at Intel.

People don’t suddenly forget how to do their jobs just because they move from Sunnyvale or Santa Clara to Cupertino.

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
is miniLED a stop gap for microLED?
Mini-LED is a real product. Micro-LED is vapourware.

Why do I have these sad feeling that the 2021 Pro with miniLED will be 12.9" only, and no more 11"...
If that happens I will buy nothing. The 11” Air is in some ways a step down from my 10.5” Pro and I have zero interest in the 12.9”.

I’d buy a 12” maybe though.

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
Big mistake to ditch Intel and AMD. They have years of experience designing Processors. APPLE makes errors. lots just look at macOS beta's.
Such a nosense. Apple Silicon is a big news. You can jump in in the next years, no need to hurry. AMD is a partner we should expect much more faster integrated GPU from Apple, but probably high end will still rock AMD Radeon especially in the recent years AMD is doing an excellent job and series 6000 is a game changer.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
You do realise that this is not a sudden move?!
It was announced years ago that Apple will eventually go their separate way and start doing their own thing... they have all the right people with loads of experience on board etc.
Mark my words, Apple silicon will dominate the industry.

Freida

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2010
You are not informed enough. Don't you remember the fiasco with Intel chips and their hardware flaw that plagued all their chips for few generations before they fixed it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.