Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will introduce new iPads as early as April, according to a new report shared today by Bloomberg. The April date comes following incorrect rumors that Apple planned to hold an event on March 23.

iPad-Pro-Mini-LED-yellow.jpg

Apple will refresh its iPad Pro lineup, introducing new models that "look similar to the current iPad Pros" in the same 11 and 12.9-inch screen sizes. The two iPads are expected to feature an updated A14X processor that's "on par" with the M1 chip in the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini, along with better cameras.

A mini-LED display will be included with "at least" the larger 12.9-inch iPad Pro, with the display upgrade bringing improved brightness and contrast ratios. This is in line with many rumors that we've heard previously, and most of the information suggests the upgraded display technology will be limited to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Apple has tested iPad Pros with a Thunderbolt connector that would make them compatible with additional external monitors, hard drives, and peripherals, plus it brings faster data syncing speeds. Apple's Mac machines have featured Thunderbolt technology for years now, but current iPad Pro and iPad Air models have standard USB-C ports.

Later this year, Apple plans to refresh its cheapest iPad, and Apple is also working on a new version of the iPad mini with a larger display.

There was a lot of chatter suggesting Apple would hold a March event to introduce new iPad models, AirPods 3, and perhaps AirTags, but those rumors were never confirmed by a reliable source like Bloomberg or Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. With iPad Pro models launching in April and the AirPods 3 now set for the third-quarter of 2021 based on rumors from earlier this week, it looks like there will be no March announcement.

Article Link: iPad Pro With Thunderbolt and Mini-LED Display Coming 'As Early As April'

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Right so Mark Gurman first says there won’t end up being a March 16th event, and clarified that he only meant an event on March 16th... but did not discount March entirely....

So I am thinking just like last year when an event was rumoured and it ended up just being an invite to an event, we are seeing history repeating itself...

23rd March - Invites
30th March - Event
2nd April - iPad Pro Starts Shipping

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I already use an iPad Pro 12.9” as my primary computer and might upgrade to this newer iPad Pro instead of buying a new MacBookPro. Release Final Cut Pro for iPadOS and I can likely ditch my Mac entirely.
Caveat: I don't have much experience with iPads (there are a couple in the house that are the kids'). I have even less (read: zero) experience with their Pro line.
Honest question here: Are you saying the iPad Pro is so capable, that you're just an iOS version of FPC away from ditching your Mac entirely? If true, that statement both staggers and interests me.
Are iPad Pros capable fo running massive A/V files off an external drive?

Dear internet...

Reactions: amartinez1660

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I hope the better cameras means the same cameras as the iPhone 12 Pro. In any case the new mini-LED will ensure I order on day 1, as the iPad Pro is my main device for work and leisure
Whenever I read about iPad photography I keep scratching my head at the definition of "niche", when e.g. pleas for a new Cinema Display have been consistently thrown out the window.

Reactions: Naraxus

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I do hope smaller pro gets a mini-LED. I am sort of unsure between 11 and 12.9. I do fair amount of procreate stuff so would like a larger canvas, but also do a lot of one handed holding and viewing/reading stuff, so bigger might be clunkier than I can handle. I don't want one more variable in the mix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.