Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be buying the iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Yes but only if it has OS X and more productivity

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Ok so at this point everything that surrounds the iPad Pro is just a rumour but i was wondering how many of you are planning to buy one? are Apple trying to muscle in on the Surface Pro type of device?

Personally i think a bigger iPad would be great when combined with the multitasking features in IOS 9, at the moment i'm beta testing IOS 9 (as part of the public beta) and i love it, but i can't help feel that the split screen and picture in picture would be better suited to a bigger screen.

What are your thoughts on a bigger iPad? should it come with a stylus? should it run OS X or would you simply be happy with a bigger iPad that runs IOS and looks the same as the iPad Air 2.

Now everything that i've said above is all conjecture and none of it is fact, i'm just interested to see peoples opinion's.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
For me it would have to have a stylus. I'd still want it to run iOS. Having a Surface Pro 3 there are times when the larger screen is definitely nice, but that device is just a bit too thick and heavy. Honestly, my hope is that any stylus is compatible with the regular iPad as well because I kind of think that size device is perfect as a companion. If only the 12" device got the stylus, I may or may not buy one.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I will be buying the Surface Pro 4 or iPad Pro which ever is the most capable. My problem with the iPad Pro is Apple will restrict it from being as good as it could be. If it is tied hard to iTunes or does not have a real file cabinet system the Surface 4 Pro will be for me!

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I would need full OS-X and built in stylus support.

Having full windows on the surface pro 3 has spoiled me, and I found I really like having a nonrestricted OS on my tablet.

Reactions: Ursadorable

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
For me, it depends on if there is a drastic feature difference between it and the next iPad. Also, I do not really want to go back to the super thick iPad 4 (and below) bezels. Possibly a Generation 2 thing for me. The 9.7' Display has been large enough for me without always switching to my 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Many rumours cloud the upcoming product, so I think we should all wait for the keynote or when the more conclusive information and alleged leaks begin to file out.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
For me, it depends on if there is a drastic feature difference between it and the next iPad. Also, I do not really want to go back to the super thick iPad 4 (and below) bezels. Possibly a Generation 2 thing for me. The 9.7' Display has been large enough for me without always switching to my 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Many rumours cloud the upcoming product, so I think we should all wait for the keynote or when the more conclusive information and alleged leaks begin to file out.
Notation, I would not really care about the new screen size if the pro is literally a larger iPad Air 3. Unless it is another Air 2 and Mini 3 comparison where the superior specs were the obvious choice.

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
I wouldn't buy one but I think the market is there for Apple. They need to compete with the Surface. But I'm not sure if putting OS X on the Pro would be the right move. Just add a keyboard and mouse to iOS and I think it would work great. Apple already added new keyboard functions in iOS 9 so I think Apple may be hinting towards that.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
I wouldn't buy one but I think the market is there for Apple. They need to compete with the Surface. But I'm not sure if putting OS X on the Pro would be the right move. Just add a keyboard and mouse to iOS and I think it would work great. Apple already added new keyboard functions in iOS 9 so I think Apple may be hinting towards that.
Interesting thought, I think more RAM would also be nice to have a portable mild-editing suite. Ideal for students even in media etc, a useful market for Apple.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013

I think this is a very good point, i personally think I would buy one, using iOS 9 with multitasking is making the iPad much more useful and that's only with stock apps at the moment, I think if Apple do something that competes with the surface and even extends the multitasking feature I will be sold.

But I'm not sure if Apple will do this with a key word and so on, Tim Cook isn't a very big fan of tablets with keyboards like the surface, remember his comment about sticking a toaster onto a refrigerator?

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
I do think the Pro will come with Force Touch.

If somehow Force Touch technology can be used as Pressure Sensitive Input that'll be even more amazing.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I do think the Pro will come with Force Touch.

If somehow Force Touch technology can be used as Pressure Sensitive Input that'll be even more amazing.

That is part of the rumour force touch is said to be included along with either IOS 9 or OSX there is even a rumour that says it will be a hybrid of both IOS and OSX, we will only know for sure if and when it is announced by Apple.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Been lugging around a heavy/bulky 2008 MBP for years now. Bought my first iPad just recently and love it. Super convenient and portable, and it does most of what I was using the MBP for on a daily basis. And it's a measly 16Gb Air 1! The Air 2's or even a 3 would be awesome I'm sure. But, I'd love to have a more capable iPad that more blurs the line between it and a laptop. With an A9+ processor, iOS9, larger screen and connectivity (USB C/Thunderbolt 3?) it should do just that.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
If the Pro is a reality and it has a quality Stylus (Surface or better) and some additional functionality (better iOS or touch friendly OSX), yes I will probably buy it. Not keen on the larger size though. After playing with the new Surface 3 vs the Surface Pro 3 I think I still prefer the ~10" form factor. Only reason I haven't already switched is because Windows 8 wasn't, and still isn't ready for Primetime. And I really love the iPad's physical design so I would prefer to get an iPad Pro, but I will be going Surface 4 otherwise for my next upgrade.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'd be interested in a pro if it had the following:

- had a minimum of 128gb storage, preferably 256gb as the base model
- whether it runs osx or ios is immaterial to me, but it must be capable of running ios apps
- preferably have a file system that you can access
- multi-task at least 2+ apps at once in a multitude of screen layouts

Maybe more to add to the list, but these for sure.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It would be a huge let down it they release the Pro iPad without a stylus and then the 2nd year they include a stylus. They always save things for 2nd year to entice people.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Been lugging around a heavy/bulky 2008 MBP for years now. Bought my first iPad just recently and love it. Super convenient and portable, and it does most of what I was using the MBP for on a daily basis. And it's a measly 16Gb Air 1! The Air 2's or even a 3 would be awesome I'm sure. But, I'd love to have a more capable iPad that more blurs the line between it and a laptop. With an A9+ processor, iOS9, larger screen and connectivity (USB C/Thunderbolt 3?) it should do just that.

That's pretty much what the new Retina Macbook is. More powerful by a good margin than your MBP, yet most of the portability and battery life of an iPad. There are things that I still prefer my iPad for, but it's now a fairly small list.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I will be buying it no matter what because I am due for another ipad and would rather have a larger one. I am a large guy at 6'6" and 260+ so the larger iPad works better.

But I would like it to have greater capabilities than just the iOS of today does.

If it isn't a ton more money, I will be ok with the regular iOS.

Last edited:

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
That's pretty much what the new Retina Macbook is. More powerful by a good margin than your MBP, yet most of the portability and battery life of an iPad. There are things that I still prefer my iPad for, but it's now a fairly small list.

True.

I bought my wife an 11" MacBook Air a couple years ago. It's cool and all, quiet and fast (SSD), extremely light compared to my MBP. But the screen is just too small for my liking. The new rMBP is really nice but the 'base' price of $1299 is a bit pricey. I'm hoping even a 'maxed out' iPad Pro will cost less than that.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
True.

I bought my wife an 11" MacBook Air a couple years ago. It's cool and all, quiet and fast (SSD), extremely light compared to my MBP. But the screen is just too small for my liking. The new rMBP is really nice but the 'base' price of $1299 is a bit pricey. I'm hoping even a 'maxed out' iPad Pro will cost less than that.

I think it will cost less than the rMBP, let's not forget that the rumour is it's still an iPad but just bigger, maybe with OSX and IOS hybrid and a stylus. I think it's going to be interesting to see what's announced.

Reactions: Codeseven

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
I voted No. Don't see any benefit for me.

And I would be concerned with the handling, especially if it is as thin as an iPad Air.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Voted no. I have no need for or interest in a tablet that large. I'm very happy with the Air 2 and my smaller Android devices (Nexus 7 & Note 4).

I'm still not sure if it is going to be a Surface Pro competitor or just a bigger iPad, some of the rumours say both. Even in beta of iOS 9 I'm finding that I'm using my iPad Air 2 more now that multitasking is available, so with a bigger iPad or a Surface Pro competitor it may be even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.