iPad Promotional Video and Images Show Properly-Displayed Flash Content

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the major complaints so far about Apple's new iPad tablet device has been a lack of support for Flash content, a limitation also placed on the iPhone. At several points during Apple CEO Steve Jobs' demonstration of the iPad at Wednesday's media event, the device displayed a "broken plug-in" icon on Web pages such as The New York Times where Flash elements were included on the page.

Screenshot from iPad media event presentation

9 to 5 Mac noticed that demonstrations of Web browsing in Apple's iPad promotional video reveal properly loading Flash content on similar Web pages, suggesting either that the iPad device used in the video supports Flash or that Apple has manipulated the promotional video in order to hide the fact that the iPad does not support Flash.

iPad promotional video showing Flash content (9 to 5 Mac)

AppleInsider followed up with a similar analysis also showing a promotional image of the iPad on Apple's site displaying Flash content from The New York Times. The newspaper's The 31 Places to Go in 2010 feature includes a Flash-based slideshow that displays properly on a Mac and in the iPad promotional rendering, but not on an iPhone, which lacks Flash capabilities as the iPad did during Wednesday's presentation and in the media hands-on that followed.

Portion of Apple iPad promotional image showing Flash content

Article Link: iPad Promotional Video and Images Show Properly-Displayed Flash Content

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
Html5?

Perhaps Apple was worked with the New York Times and other major sites for custom iPad versions of their sites that use an alternative to flash such as HTML5.

jaysedai

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2003
Eh... with HTML 5 coming and H.264 video, there won't be much point to Flash in the future. So I'm okay if they keep it standards based.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
It's just promo art. Adobe commented on the lack of flash in the iPad the other day:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/adobe-on-flash-and-the-ipad-apple-is-continuing-to-impose-rest/

It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
It's gotta be in 4.0 thats coming out this summer. If it's not and they doctored those images.... not good

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Marked as negative again...

As said in previous thread I will mark each iPad news (regardless of what they are) as negative UNTIL Apple pull finger out of their ****** and allows Flash player to be installed...

Hezuz!

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida

As said in previous thread I will mark each iPad news (regardless of what they are) as negative UNTIL Apple pull finger out of their ****** and allows Flash player to be installed...

Hezuz!
Get over it. If they don't want Flash they don't want it. No reason to make a post such as that due to one piece of Software. What do you want Flash for anyway? Give me a specific reason... If you say Hulu... who cares about Hulu. Ever heard of Torrents. I would rather watch my movies and TV shows without commercials and interruption.

TheRick

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
While I don't think the iPad is going to support flash when it's released, I *do* think what we saw in the keynote is not the finished product. In looking at some of the hands on videos, it's evident that there's still work that is being done so we might see a few unexpected features when it finally ships.

For example, I'm a little worried about the multi-user aspect of it. Will both my wife and I be able to check our email on it? However, I've seen a couple of instances where there is a "Profiles" option under the Settings menu, and apparently, the Apple staff working the demo units wasn't able to comment on what it was for.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I've wished the iPhone had Flash about three times. Yeah it sucks on some videos and not being able to view them, but I appreciate the fact it doesn't have to heat up to 200 degrees and drain my battery in doing so.

HTML5.

Skilgannon

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Isn't this considered deceiving advertising?

I mean, I imagine housewives buying this and asking "why is there a blue box on this site?"

"I'm sorry ma'am, it's flash".

And then she get stuck with a device that was suposed to give a flawless web experience.

maehara

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
Apple are hardly going to have the 'missing plugin' brick ruining their beautiful promo images, are they? Safe to assume that most of the images on the Apple website are mockups or have otherwise been touched up to make them look their best.

Given that Steve seemed to make a point of showing the absence of Flash during the keynote, I don't think anyone can really say Apple are trying to hide anything here...

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

if apple is doing this I am sure there will be alot of pissed off people who buy these things and go to the pages they saw in the ad and wonder why it doesn't look the same

OnlyUnless

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Eeh, I'm still skeptical. I have a feeling that they are indeed just doctored images meant for promotional purposes. Those sites wouldn't look so pretty with a big blank space with a broken plug-in image now, would they?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Eh... with HTML 5 coming and H.264 video, there won't be much point to Flash in the future. So I'm okay if they keep it standards based.
Flash isn't a static product, it will advance.. thus, HTML 5 will not be a total replacement.

Why DID Jobs navigate to a flash site during the keynote...?
I thought - "wow thats kind of embarrassing, after SJ said this is the best internet browsing experience ever". If you can't see the fully internet content, how is it the 'best experience ever'.

stevenh

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008

Hezuz!
Yeah I think your cute little protest will get Apple to turn around.

Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.