Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Well said. It’s amazing that after 1500 posts there are still those who pretend it’s business as usual in iPad land.

Every experience I had with these iPads tells me that it is business as usual in iPad land. And if this forum taught me anything is that there is almost always 1500 posts for every potential, made-up or real issue. Sometimes it is real - like issues with MBP keyboards. Sometimes it's something that's not a real issue (or an issue that is way overblown) - like all the screen uniformity posts, OLED panel quality posts or iOS 12 color posts. But real or not real - this is business as usual in Macrumors land. So, 1500 posts don't say much, really.

I can speak from my own experience and these iPad Pros are quite durable. They survived a few falls, they get carried around in full bags daily, etc. Perhaps they are weaker, perhaps it's bad luck for some people - or perhaps they are handling them very rough and claiming they are careful. I don't know. So I can only trust my own eyes and that tells me: these are really well built devices, amazing quality across the board.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Day-to-day use doesn't result in it being bent.

We have several in our studio, and they are handled without any special care. Personally, I have one for a year now, carry it in bags and backpacks daily. I am yet to see a bent iPad Pro. So I speak from experience.
Because several iPad's pro in your studio do not bend, it does not mean that all the other posts are not true. Why don't you simply accept the experience of others? Your anecdotal experience does not negate the posts of others and certainly is not the universal truth.
We are on page 63 here of thousands of posts of people who experienced this. Why this urge to defend some brand? Simply accept that experiences differ. There are more nuances than only black and white. Your iPads don't bend apparently and other's do. Does that mean others are wrong and only you are right?

Last edited:
Reactions: ilikewhey

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Your anecdotal experience does not negate the posts of others and certainly is not the universal truth.

Every single experience here is anecdotal. It may seem like a lot, but it really isn’t. We’re a small sample and it’s a known fact mostly people with issues post on forums. iPads are sold in millions. Outside this forum and a couple of clickbait videos, there is little mention of this so far - so no one knows how widespread it really is.

But you’re right - it may be an issue. It may not be. Because all of this is anecdotal. And since it’s anecdotal, I only have my personal experience to rely on, and it tells me that the iPads are very well built. Get me some numbers, like a percentage bigger than 2% of all iPad Pros sold or something like that and I’ll agree there’s an issue.
[automerge]1576376055[/automerge]
Your iPads don't bend apparently and other's do. Does that mean others are wrong and only you are right?

Right about what?

That their iPads are bent? Unless they are lying or imagining things, I don’t see how they could be wrong about that.

That this is a widespread issue as a result of bad design? We totally don’t know, but yeah, personally I think they are wrong in that regard.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
after much deliberation, I’m gonna pass on this 3rd gen despite my current 12.9 1st gen is getting out of shape in many regards, I had plenty of nightmares dealing with the bend gate of my old iPhone 6, definitely don’t wanna go through with this again. I’ll bite when Apple uses stronger aluminum if they choose for the next update.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
The real truth will be told when the next gen comes out and if Apple makes mention of a more strengthened material like they did after the iPhone 6 fiasco. Next years 6s suddenly touted an improved series of aluminium

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
after much deliberation, I’m gonna pass on this 3rd gen despite my current 12.9 1st gen is getting out of shape in many regards, I had plenty of nightmares dealing with the bend gate of my old iPhone 6, definitely don’t wanna go through with this again. I’ll bite when Apple uses stronger aluminum if they choose for the next update.

On the flip side, there are many posts on this forum of people that say they regretted not getting their pro sooner as they have no bend issues and love theirs.

If you want to get one, get one. Just obviously be careful with it and you should be fine.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
On the flip side, there are many posts on this forum of people that say they regretted not getting their pro sooner as they have no bend issues and love theirs.

If you want to get one, get one. Just obviously be careful with it and you should be fine.
Really? Cause I haven’t seen anyone saying they regret not getting theirs sooner, not just here but on Reddit and other places. But plenty of randomly finding out their iPad is bend after taking out of back pack or laying it down on the table and find it’s not sitting flushed.

i look after my stuffs but when the recommendation becomes “put the iPad between two hard surfaces at all time so it won’t get bend, sorry but that’s just too fragile.
it doesn’t help that apple’s cookie cutter excuse sounds exactly like the same excuse they used when addressing the iPhone 6, maximum deniability with no recourse for fault, And I get it, they don’t want to give ammunition for possible class action.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I’m not discrediting anyone. It is a matter of fact.
The iPad doesn’t bend by itself.
It could happen by accident, for sure. And it could happen without the user being aware of it.
But it bends only if you bend it.
It is called physics.
[automerge]1576263481[/automerge]

I don’t think anything, and I surely am not happy about that.
But an iPad doesn’t bend by itself.
It is a quite slim sheet of aluminum and glass. It doesn’t take much to bend it.

And I supposes it's just a massive coincidence that all these iPads bend in the same place, right?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
All these iPads? How many ? 100 ? 1000 ? 10000 ? Still a very very low percentage of millions sold.
I don’t think numbers of unit sold holds relevant given iPhone 6 and 6s sold probably 10x more volume than ipp, yet Apple still acknowledged the issue with the 7000 series aluminum upgrade on the 6s

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Apple did not acknowledge any issue.

Let's be real here. Apple's not going to say, "We screwed up with the iPhone 6 and fixed it in the next generation," for obvious reasons[1]. But they did improve the materials and design in the next generation (the iPhone 6s) and it's pretty obvious why[2].

I fully expect an upgraded design and/or material in the next generation Pros.

___

Footnotes for those unable to see the obvious:

1: Because of the litigious nature of the Western world.
2: Because the previous material and design bent too easily.

Reactions: ilikewhey

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I think you misinterpreted @ilikewhey.
No , I didn’t. Apple did not acknowledge anything about non existent “bending issues” on iPhone 6.
[automerge]1576573362[/automerge]
Let's be real here. Apple's not going to say, "We screwed up with the iPhone 6 and fixed it in the next generation," for obvious reasons[1]. But they did improve the materials and design in the next generation (the iPhone 6s) and it's pretty obvious why[2].

I fully expect an upgraded design and/or material in the next generation Pros.

___

Footnotes for those unable to see the obvious:

1: Because of the litigious nature of the Western world.
2: Because the previous material and design bent too easily.
Let’s be real.
Apple improved iPhone 6 because of marketing (guys like the $£## Unbox Therapy bending perfectly working iPhone as a click bait) and because to improve a product generation after generation is perfectly normal.
Not because it was flawed.

I still have an iPhone 6 in my house which is perfectly straight. And I mean a day one iPhone 6 used by me, by my son and by a colleague for years.
Guess what ? We didn’t seat on it.

Will next generation iPad Pro improves? Most probably yes. Because the way a company like Apple sells millions of products is by IMPROVING them generation after generation.

Last edited:

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Apple improved iPhone 6 because of marketing (guys like the $£## Unbox Therapy bending perfectly working iPhone as a click bait) and because to improve a product generation after generation is perfectly normal.
Not because it was flawed.

I still have an iPhone 6 in my house which is perfectly straight. And I mean a day one iPhone 6 used by me, by my son and by a colleague for years.
Guess what ? We didn’t seat on it.

Will next generation iPad Pro improves? Most probably yes. Because the way a company like Apple sells millions of products is by IMPROVING them generation after generation.

Well that makes no sense. If Apple improves every generation they wouldn't be experimenting with how thin of a product they can get away with. They screwed up. Next gen. will be better.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Well that makes no sense. If Apple improves every generation they wouldn't be experimenting with how thin of a product they can get away with. They screwed up. Next gen. will be better.

I have to agree though that they acknowledged nothing. Anything they would acknowledge would get them a class action lawsuit in the states for sure.

They pointed to a stronger shell purely for marketing reasons. Anything Apple does that’s not connected to a lawsuit they usually do for marketing purposes or at least to benefit in that area.

Reactions: pdoherty

Shendon

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2019
My ipad pro 11” got bent with a very light use, i dont use it everyday (likely 2/3 times a week), used it just 3times in a backpack that was not full and was never dropped or sitted on.
i only saw the bend because of my apple pen, it’s not noticeable without a ruler or something flat but it is there. I can’t see why there are people here taking this fact (that the ipad bends easily because of some design flaw, just like the iphone 6) as a insult.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
My ipad pro 11” got bent with a very light use, i dont use it everyday (likely 2/3 times a week), used it just 3times in a backpack that was not full and was never dropped or sitted on.
i only saw the bend because of my apple pen, it’s not noticeable without a ruler or something flat but it is there. I can’t see why there are people here taking this fact (that the ipad bends easily because of some design flaw, just like the iphone 6) as a insult.
cause in their eyes apple can do no wrong ?

Reactions: kristalsoldier

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Because some people are brainwashed and think that if it didn't happen to them then its non existant. I have iPhone 6 and its not bend but I'm not denying the issue as I've seen it (actually had 2 out the box bent so I exchanged those).
One would thing that we should all be on the same page but then we realise that there are people that believe the Earth is flat and its at that point you realise that there is lot of stupid people out there. :D :D :D

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Apple doesn't need to acknowledge anything when you have their fanboys on here denying any problems ever exist for apple products lol

Be that as it may with fanboys, they don’t make a significant number or impact in the mass market. And that’s really where Apple does business, they’re not just catering to the trolls and fanboys on Macrumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.