Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Did you even watch the video? He said it probably wouldn’t bend in real world conditions and he was forcing damage on it to begin with. I follow this guy and he does these test with every new iOS device
No because I always comment on videos I don't watch... @_@

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Apart from the slight bend, it's 100% usable so I'm just going to keep using it and ignore the bend. I have AppleCare anyways and I can tolerate the bend since it isn't extreme.
It's early yet. Maybe you were indeed unfortunate to have it bow due to a "perfect storm" of conditions from putting it in your backpack. Maybe there is a defect in the design.

If there's a defect, the truth will be revealed... kicking and screaming against wanting to be revealed... only to finally capitulate and come to light at the threat of a lawsuit.

Until/unless that happens, I think that your approach, keep using it, is a good one.

Apple TarHeel

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Hi all, I have just noticed that my brand new iPad Pro (bought on launch day) is very slightly bent. I was randomly looking at it from the side and it didn’t seem straight. I put it up against something known to be straight (ruler, Apple Pencil) and the iPad is apparently slightly bent.

It has only been in my backpack once. I placed it inside as I normally would with my iPad Pro 2nd gen. I have attached some pictures to illustrate the slight bend.

Is anyone else’s iPad bending this easily or is it just me?

I am on my second 2018 12.9in iPad after replacing the first one and I haven't travelled with it or placed it in any backpack - I can definitely tell all here that there is a slight "bow" in the chassis if you look down the top and bottom bezels, specifically where the antenna band is located - it is slight but noticeable - I think most of the new 12.9's are being shipped this way, or at least the first batch to the USA, but I plan on returning the one I currently have once the local store has my configuration in stock .. It could be happening when the glass is installed in the chassis - seems like the machine is pushing down too hard - I'll try one more replacement and keep that one even if it has the same slight bowing

Reactions: Finfin

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
I am on my second 2018 12.9in iPad after replacing the first one and I haven't travelled with it or placed it in any backpack - I can definitely tell all here that there is a slight "bow" in the chassis if you look down the top and bottom bezels, specifically where the antenna band is located - it is slight but noticeable - I think most of the new 12.9's are being shipped this way, or at least the first batch to the USA, but I plan on returning the one I currently have once the local store has my configuration in stock .. It could be happening when the glass is installed in the chassis - seems like the machine is pushing down too hard - I'll try one more replacement and keep that one even if it has the same slight bowing
Looking at it again, it does look like the bow starts along the asymmetrically placed antenna lines on the edges of the cellular model. It is very slightly bowed in exactly the same way on the top left and bottom right. These seem like weak points or something.

Lowfi22mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Looking at it again, it does look like the bow starts along the asymmetrically placed antenna lines on the edges of the cellular model. It is very slightly bowed in exactly the same way on the top left and bottom right. These seem like weak points or something.

Yep. I'm on my second one and it's bowed, straight of the box, where the band is. It's really pronounced when looking down the edge where the antenna bands are placed.

I can confirm this is straight out of the box on both occasions, and has not been sat on/put in a backpack.

Others: Yes there is an issue here, so please don't derail the thread by saying "you put it in a backpack etc etc". It's not helpful and obfuscating the issue.
[doublepost=1542314026][/doublepost]
Good on him!

Why should apple be replacing an iPad that you bent by misusing it?

Because they're bent, straight out of the box – I've confirmed this with two...straight of the box, in front of Apple Store employees.

Reactions: millydog and Finfin

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Yep. I'm on my second one and it's bowed, straight of the box, where the band is. It's really pronounced when looking down the edge where the antenna bands are placed.

I can confirm this is straight out of the box on both occasions, and has not been sat on/put in a backpack.

Others: Yes there is an issue here, so please don't derail the thread by saying "you put it in a backpack etc etc". It's not helpful and obfuscating the issue.

Because they're bent, straight out of the box – I've confirmed this with two...straight of the box, in front of Apple Store employees.
For what it’s worth this pattern of responses seems to be common whenever you have a problem and people don’t wanna hear it. I remember complaining that I had a white spot on my screen on reddit and people were commenting that I must have banged the screen or something saying I must be careless with my stuff. Now there’s a thread on here with hundreds of responses from people with the same issue.

It an issue affects 1 person: you must be treating your device terribly! How dare you.

If an issue affects a dozen or more people: omg I can’t believe apple isn’t issuing a repair program. Come on apple!

I don’t think you’re lying. I’ve seen a couple in store with the same bend the very day they were put out.

Lowfi22mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
My 11” is the exact same. Slightly bowed. It has never been in a backpack and has been in the folio or smart folio. Now I am trying to decide if it is worth getting another one.

My tactic to continue to replace them before the 2 week return period is up, waiting until Apple have fixed the issue.

Zephyrus87

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2017
If you’ve got a LTE/WiFi model, my 11” one looks slightly bent also, just past the “antenna band” on both ends. But I can’t really tell if it’s an optical illusion due to that antenna strip or it’s truly bent. Mine came this way out of the box.

This.
Is barely noticeable if you try to align the two top speakers with the power button or the two bottom speakers with the USB C port. I'm guessing is a minor design flaw for some/many devices.
Probably on the 12.9 is a bit more noticeable than on my 11. Apart from this the device looks really solid and well built, I am not too concerned.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Hi all, I have just noticed that my brand new iPad Pro (bought on launch day) is very slightly bent. I was randomly looking at it from the side and it didn’t seem straight. I put it up against something known to be straight (ruler, Apple Pencil) and the iPad is apparently slightly bent.

It has only been in my backpack once. I placed it inside as I normally would with my iPad Pro 2nd gen. I have attached some pictures to illustrate the slight bend.

Is anyone else’s iPad bending this easily or is it just me?

Curious, do you have a protective sleeve in your backpack? Or is the iPad loose and jostling around? Did you have a case on your iPad? What else was in your backpack? These are all important questions to help determine the cause.
[doublepost=1542321488][/doublepost]
There’s a video on YouTube which shows that this iPad is flimsy.

Shouldn’t be put into backpack.

Ugh. Not this video again. He beat the crap out of it and completely shattered the glass into shards which compromised the structural integrity of the iPad. I would warn people watching this to realize that is totally different than just normal use. Still, having said that...this is a thinner and extremely expensive device. I would hope people use a case and take care of it. I think you’ll be fine if you do.

Reactions: Zune55

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

I'm more curious why you keep buying iPads that aren't the configuration you want, just to return them?

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Just to add, my 12.9" 1TB and 512GB both have a very slight bow along the short span. After seeing this on thin devices before (Surface Pro and an older 12.9 iPad), I'm not surprised. Actually I expected to see this just before checking them out.

This certainly isn't a good thing, but I would think it's quite the manufacturing challenge to tightly control this.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Should never, ever have read this thread, but mine is ever, ever so slightly bowed. Not going to send it back, but I do see a little bit of it. Darn you people. :cool: I put mine on a iPad Stand and leave it there if you’re asking, never have taken it outside or anywhere else.

Mine starts approx. 5 or 6 inches from USB-C Port

Last edited:

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
It seems like people here, and Apple genius, don't know that minor manufacturing defects are always present in batch runs like this, and that your iPad could be from a bad batch. I had an engineer that specializes in this kind of engineering explain it to me.

Apple often finds these defects and has them corrected each and every month or so, maybe daily near launch week, based on previous returns. It's not to say that many came out defective, it could be only 1,000-5,000 out of a 1,000,000,000, but either way

1. They exist. So you could have one. It's likely
2. When Apple finds out, they tend to correct it for the next batch run

If you showed us a picture of a Microsoft Surface, you would be supported here. But because it's an Apple product, you're supposedly bending it with you buttocks. Apple doesn't manufacture these. It's the same suppliers that make Surface Books and other computing devices. Machined manufacturing still creates defects per million.

OP: if it bugs you, go to another Apple Store and ask for a replacement. Be polite, but be firm. Explain how much you paid, and what you expect.

PS: this is why a lot of informed people wait a few months after launch, because they know Apple improves the revisions after returns inform them of slight errors in the manufacturing.

pixelements

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Germany
Here are 2 more examples - first one is mine, the 2nd one is one of my friend. Both 11 WiFi only.

Attachments

• 15F1C5A0-71EE-4017-B4FF-0FF4D1B4DF53.jpeg
    15F1C5A0-71EE-4017-B4FF-0FF4D1B4DF53.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 1,213
  • DC0828A3-636C-482C-AA41-1A6D67F37862.jpeg
    DC0828A3-636C-482C-AA41-1A6D67F37862.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,188

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
It doesn’t even look bent, but if it looks bent it-you should take bette care of your products.

Jesus Christ, that's such an insufferable attitude. Does the company defend you to whiteknight for it? I'm assuming no?

Then why do you feel the need to tell people who may have legitimate concerns about their products, with absolute certainty, no less, that they themselves must be the culprits?
[doublepost=1542356704][/doublepost]
Here are 2 more examples - first one is mine, the 2nd one is one of my friend. Both 11 WiFi only.

"Can you make that straighter?" - Wayne Gretzki - Michael Scott

Reactions: Aydy and Ghost31

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015

Are they bent straight out of the box? URI Geller got to them before being shipped?

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
It’s a hard thing TBH, my iPad seems fine (no bow or curve) but tiny things that seemingly shouldn’t and actually don’t case issues or problems are almost more annoying because it’s unclear if they are normal. Like if every other ipad wasn’t absolutely straight we would not care as much. For instance 2 of the new iPads I had and the one now had a very very faint clicking nose if I take off the folio and press down on the back aluminum towards the lass, but no noise happens when I press the glass on the other side... logically it’s how to built, I know that an iAd can’t be perfect and sealed and glued with absolute precision, (even considering the price tag, physics cannot be avoided with money.)
I know this, but (my actually diagnosed OCD) brain thinks: “what if it’s not normal.” But I’d forget about it instantly if 1-2 people here or anywhere reported the same sound happens to them... I would feel more okay with it. It’s the “not knowing” if it is meant to be that way that really makes our obsessions and compulsions more aggravated.
I take back my last post and apologize for being a bit rude, as I have done the return game for tiny issues only to have a same one appear but instead of accepting reality, part of me things... am I just unlucky?
It’s just weird to think about why these things bother us so much.

.......So anyone one else’s iPad make a noise when you put pressure on the back middle and 3 inches above the apple logo? Jk ;) lol
( I actually may go check out some on-display models at Best Buy to put my mind at ease, lol.)

Kallum.

Last edited:

pixelements

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Germany
Why are you using the Apple Pencil to show us the claimed bend on your iPad?

Use a straight ruler not a pencil that has a weird shape

Because? The Apple Pencil is straight and does not have any weird shape, it lies flat on the table. And since it has a magnet, it snaps to the back of the iPad and highlights the gaps between iPad and pencil showing the uneven Aluminium. A ruler doesn't help me at all since it moves all the time.

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
Because? The Apple Pencil is straight and does not have any weird shape, it lies flat on the table. And since it has a magnet, it snaps to the back of the iPad and highlights the gaps between iPad and pencil showing the uneven Aluminium. A ruler doesn't help me at all since it moves all the time.

The Apple Pencil is not completely straight and more if you know anything about geometry you can’t measure the level of a surface with an item smaller than the one you’re trying to get that measure for.

So your method is FLAWED!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.