Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
Somehow I doubt you'd be convinced regardless of what they used to show the bow.

Isn’t it funny that in every photo showing a bend they use the pencil and hold the iPad up in the air ?

Coincidence!

I wanna see that iPad laying flat on a table with a steel ruler on top of it....show me the bend then!

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Isn’t it funny that in every photo showing a bend they use the pencil and hold the iPad up in the air ?

Coincidence!

I wanna see that iPad laying flat on a table with a steel ruler on top of it....show me the bend then!
My Pencil is not bent, it is a dead straight cylindrical shape with a single flat surface on the side. The Pencil attaches flush to the magnetic side of my iPad. It does not sit flush on the front or back though.

I have attached a picture of the iPad laying flat on a table surface with a ruler along the top of it. Notice how the bend starts at the antenna band!

What next? First you accuse people in other threads of lying for not posting pictures. When pictures are posted, you are accusing people that their pictures are wrong and you are right. Then you demand more of the same pictures...

Should I photograph it alongside the Leaning Tower of Pisa? I hope you realize that the Leaning Tower of Pisa isn't straight and that it is actually leaning... I might need a ruler that is longer than 8 stories...

Bottom and top of iPad.

iPad is bent on bottom right.
Photobentipad.jpg

iPad is bent on top left.
Photoipadbent2.jpg

Last edited:

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
My Pencil is not bent, it is a dead straight cylindrical shape with a single flat surface on the side. The Pencil attaches flush to the magnetic side of my iPad. It does not sit flush on the front or back though.

I have attached a picture of the iPad laying flat on a table surface with a ruler along the top of it. Notice how the bend starts at the antenna band!

What next? First you accuse people in other threads of not posting pictures. When pictures are posted, you are accusing people that their pictures are wrong and you are right. Then you demand more of the same pictures... Should I photograph it alongside the Leaning Tower of Pisa? I hope you realize that the Leaning Tower of Pisa isn't straight and that it is actually leaning...

Bottom and top of iPad.

iPad is bent on bottom right.
View attachment 804520

iPad is bent on top left.
View attachment 804524

So you’re telling us your iPad is bent in two directions.

You’re showing a transversal and longitudinal bend there

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
So you’re telling us your iPad is bent in two directions.

You’re showing a transversal and longitudinal bend there
Yep, I'm glad you understood it... Seems to bent at the antenna bent locations.

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
That’s even more odd
Yes, I can't even bend it back straight with significant force. I actually tried with quite a lot of force to straighten it. It flexes straight and then when I let go, it goes back to the bent state. I actually used enough force that I felt the screen glass starting to pop out a little bit.

Last edited:

Zephyrus87

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2017
Almost everyone who posted here, including myself, has the same, even with the non LTE version, wich is quite odd since the curve happen where the antenna run.

At this point I would be interested in see a picture in those spot WITHOUT the slight bow in the frame, as it could be a minor production flaw the avarege consumer (i.e. anyone with no OCD xD) won't probably notice.

I wound suggest not to try to bend your iPad with force, since that could cause some real issue.

Reactions: Finfin

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Almost everyone who posted here, including myself, has the same, even with the non LTE version, wich is quite odd since the curve happen where the antenna run.

At this point I would be interested in see a picture in those spot WITHOUT the slight bow in the frame, as it could be a minor production flaw the avarege consumer (i.e. anyone with no OCD xD) won't probably notice.

I wound suggest not to try to bend your iPad with force, since that could cause some real issue.
Yes, I am now waiting for the pictures of your supposedly straight iPad fm_carv.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
It bends WAY too easy, there certainly appears to be some design defect here.

I dont even see Jerry struggling by looking at his hands. At least with the iPhone 6 you really had to crank on it until your fingers were red to get flex. This just bent like butter.

Skip to 6:23

Last edited:
Reactions: mi7chy and Finfin

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Now that there is more evidence I will walk back my criticism a bit. It bends WAY too easy, there certainly appears to be some design defect here.

How easy that tablet bent shocked me... When you take a look at how it failed (as pointed out in the video) there is certainly structural issues around the mic and apple pencil charger. In teardown pictures/videos you can see just how thin the sidewalls are on this iPad. That with the lack of interior support bracing (seriously Apple... you could have put at least two support braces lengthwise between the logic board and batteries) contributes to a tablet with little structural integrity. I would never put this tablet in a backpack or anything other then a rigid case. I guess structural integrity is one of the things sacrificed to get it thinner by .2mm?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Now that there is more evidence I will walk back my criticism a bit. It bends WAY too easy, there certainly appears to be some design defect here.

Omgggggggg

I’m just ending my shift at work with a crazy look on my face that’s making people wonder what the heck I’m looking at. You can argue “everything bends at some point” until the cows come home, but holy crap. NO premium electronic is supposed to bend that easily

Everybody needs AppleCare. Right now. Now now nowwww

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
How easy that tablet bent shocked me... When you take a look at how it failed (as pointed out in the video) there is certainly structural issues around the mic and apple pencil charger. In teardown pictures/videos you can see just how thin the sidewalls are on this iPad. That with the lack of interior support bracing (seriously Apple... you could have put at least two support braces lengthwise between the logic board and batteries) contributes to a tablet with little structural integrity. I would never put this tablet in a backpack or anything other then a rigid case. I guess structural integrity is one of the things sacrificed to get it thinner by .2mm?

It makes zero sense. I was already annoyed being in the market for a 12.9 and expecting to pay $799, but $200 more was a kick in the nuts as was and decide not worth it.

Now it's a $1000 poorly built device too.

Apple is on their last string with me. Luckily I only own an iphone so not in the ecosystem. I've used iOS since the iPhone 3GS 99% of the time (2 Android phones back in the day for a few weeks twice at least 6 years ago now), and privacy is a big deal, but $1,000 crap products are inexcusable.

Luckily the new iPhones dont seem to have any major hardware issues right now. My max has 0 issues. But I dont think my next phone will be from Apple anymore for the first time in a long time. Putting our products like this is not ok at any price, let alone $800-1000. Im already tempted to dump Apple totally, but really want to see what iOS13 is in June. If not enough change Im done.

You can argue “everything bends at some point” until the cows come home, but holy crap. NO premium electronic is supposed to bend that easily

Everybody needs AppleCare. Right now. Now now nowwww

I was skeptical with the initial video considering the display was already broken, but this hit it home.

The issue is you shouldn't HAVE to pony up another $130 on to of $799/999 making the price $929/1129. That should be given free as a remedy if the quality is this bad

I gave the original iPhone 6 bendgate a pseudo "pass," as it took a LOT of force to bend them and it was pure misuse causing the bend. No regular putting it on the table and holding it in hand was bending them. But these ipads are bending like butter with little to no force. That's not excusable.

Last edited:

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018

Yeah, that is just shockingly easy to bend...

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Just added AppleCare to my 12.9. I did notice at the Apple Store the 11" flexes more easily than the 12.9.

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
It bends WAY too easy, there certainly appears to be some design defect here.

I dont even see Jerry struggling by looking at his hands. At least with the iPhone 6 you really had to crank on it until your fingers were red to get flex. This just bent like butter.

It kind of confirms that it bends more easily than the older iPad Pro.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
It makes zero sense. I was already annoyed being in the market for a 12.9 and expecting to pay $799, but $200 more was a kick in the nuts as was.

Now it's a $1000 poorly built device too.

Yea the $150-$200 price increase is just the icing on the cake. I love the way this iPad looks and feels but the lack of thought into the structure of the device is just inexcusable.

Reactions: Ghost31

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
It kind of confirms that it bends more easily than the older iPad Pro.
It bends more easily than the iPhone 6 if appearances are anything.

I see no strain in his hands/fingers bending it. At least with the iPhone 6 you had to crank on the thing until their fingers were red in the videos to get a tiny flex in it.

This just bent in half like butter basically.

Reactions: Finfin

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah that seems way too easy. Guess you need to be extremely careful with this iPad, and AppleCare seems more important now.

Finfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
It bends more easily than the iPhone 6 if appearances are anything.

I see no strain in his hands/fingers bending it. At least with the iPhone 6 you had to crank on the thing until their fingers were red in the videos to get a tiny flex in it.

This just bent in half like bitter basically.
Hah, if you look carefully at 6:27, the iPad even seems kind of already bowed before he even starts bending it.

It's also bowed in the opposite direction to the direction he bends it towards.
...and it's also brand new out of the box.

Last edited:

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
If this iPad didn’t have this issue, I would’ve eventually upgraded to the 11”, buying on Swappa but I wouldn’t sell my 10.5 for this device.

Damn though, it’s a beautiful device but I don’t want to buy a sheet of construction paper for $800+.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Alright, this video is much more persuasive about the fragility of the new design. At least he tried to bend it BEFORE shattering the screen. Lol. Having said that, I stand by my original comment about the importance of a case on such an expensive device regardless. In particular... especially if you plan to carry this around in your backpack. Was anyone planning to actually throw this into their backpack without a case? The way I use my iPad, there was no doubt I was going to use a rigid case.

Again, thin or not, it’s not hard to take care of your iPad. And I don’t see how someone will damage theirs if they take the right precautions. If you don’t plan to use a case at home that’s fine. You shouldn’t have to worry. Just don’t SIT on your iPad, and you’ll have nothing to fear. And if you throw it in your backpack or travel with it, get a case. You’ll be fine.

Oh, and just to add...I’ve cracked the screens on a couple of iPad minis, and those things are small little tanks. But I was very carefree with them, and did drop them a lot. We’ve all seen iPhones & iPads with cracked screens, so be careful! I don’t intend to drop my new iPad Pro. Gonna treat this thing like an expensive laptop(which it is). And with a case on it, I am not worried at all about “bending”.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHKLMRE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.