All iPads iPad refresh 2014?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Martin29, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

We've had months of rumours about expected new iPhone models for October 2014.. But nothing about new iPad models.

What do you folks think? Can we expect new models later this year, or will we be waiting for a 2015 refresh?

If we're due new models, what are your predictions?

2. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

We all know that Touch ID and A8 processor iPads are coming. When is the question.

3. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Based on rumors, it seems like we'll see updated iPads with Touch ID before the end of the year. Possibly September or October, like last year.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPads were released in November last year.
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

5. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

6. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

It seems odd that we've seen so many rumours and supposed leaks of the iPhone, including images purporting to be of the new devices.. Yet very little relating to an iPad refresh..

I have a feeling that with an expected iWatch, new iPhones and probable ATV, the iPad may not be refreshed until sometime in 2015.

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

While Apple could get away with that on some backburner products such as the Apple TV, MacMini - I don't think they could get away with such a move in their flagship tablet product with competition trying to establish itself.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I expect that there are no design changes for the next iPad -- Apple will just update the CPU and other internals, maybe add TouchID, but otherwise this year's iPad will look pretty much the same as the last, which would explain no leaks, because no difference that can be seen.

11. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

Don't hold your breath as MR posted a story this week that the A8 will still be a dual core other than clocked at 2.0 GHz.

13. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

I would love to collect everyone responsible for that, plus the executive team of Apple in a room, connect my iPad to a big screen, and just show them what a painful experience using Safari is.

I'd do a simple thing: I would try to write a forum post, not unlike this one, while also trying to cross reference it with Wikipedia and Google.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

If mobile Safari was coded a little better, it wouldn't be so bad.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

Try Atomic. Some who post here say they have had no crashing or reloads with it. They have a free and paid version on the App store.

16. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I got both of mine at Thanksgiving. 2012 and 2013. I ordered at launch.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Why does that mean no 2 gigs of ram?

18. MA-86 macrumors member

I believe this is how next gen iPad will look like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3ReTbY89k

And I am liking what I am seeing - its definitely slimmer than 1st gen Air and has the touch ID and hopefully Apple will have addressed the hollow screen effect - there is definitely a few mm of space between the glass cover of the screen and the actual LCD panel underneath it and I expect thats where most of the slimming down will come from.

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Both the iPad Mini and Air will look the exact same as the current models, they will have the same storage options and wireless options. The screens will also most likely be exactly the same and they will be the same dimensions and weight. The only things that will change will be touch ID and maybe the processors changed to A8.

They will not increase the RAM as they don't need to, they just need to optimise Safari better.

20. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I'm agreeing with you. For the first time ever, I'm thinking I won't be getting the latest and greatest, cause I already have the latest and greatest. :cool:

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

MR linked a story that indicates the next iPad's will have recessed buttons, A8 dual core and upgraded cameras. No mention of more Ram.

22. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

They do need more ram, especially since they went to a 64 bit architecture which requires more overhead. That's why 32 bit devices don't exhibit the same behaviors. I'll never understand why in the world Apple went 64 bit without increasing the ram.

23. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I'm not expecting a major refresh to the iPad line. I would guess that it'll be the same chassis, but with TouchID and maybe a processor bump (from A7 to A7X or A8).

Keep in mind, they keep saying that they have a lot of other things coming for the end of 2014, I don't expect iPads to be high on the priority list.

24. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

An A8 chip and Touch ID would be a major refresh as far as I'm concerned. What else is there?

25. GoingDark macrumors 6502

To put it in perspective, I would consider the iPad 1 to iPad 2 a major refresh, iPad 3 to 4 not so much. iPad 4 to Air, a major refresh (completely redesigned chassis, 64-bit A7, etc).

I don't see the A8 being significantly different from the A7 (other than being a little faster) in the same way the A7 was a drastic change from the A6.

When I say "major refresh" I mean it has to have something that would make for a compelling upgrade from the previous generation. If I knew what that "something" was, I would be working for Apple and not just commenting on a message board. :D