Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I and my wife have our devices on a two year replacement cycle, and will be updating our iPads in November. Given our existing models are now two years old we shall see a difference when upgrading, but it does seem that most folk are not expecting a significant year on year refresh this time round.

I'll also be returning to the iPhone in October, so it's going to be a fun time this autumn :)

Barhen

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
We've had months of rumours about expected new iPhone models for October 2014.. But nothing about new iPad models.

What do you folks think? Can we expect new models later this year, or will we be waiting for a 2015 refresh?

If we're due new models, what are your predictions?

my predictions, slightly faster processor, and touch ID.

I doubt they will do much more.. they most likely will make huge changes on the air3/rmini3.

if its only a slight bump in proc speed and touch id, I am going to pass.

iSage

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
Probably 2X CPU and RAM and more than 2X GPU. Better iSight camera. Haptic feed back maybe. Same weight and dimensions.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
If they fix the colour gamut of the Retina Mini, and give it an A8 processor with 2GB RAM, I'll buy one. If they add Touch ID, I'll be happy. If they add a haptic engine, I'll be happy. If they double the storage, I'll be happy. If they add GPS to the non-cellular version, I'll be happy.

If they do a couple, or even most of the above mentioned upgrades, I think it would be a very worthy update from the present. Either way, it will make my iPod Touch 4g seem like a potato-battery powered pop-up book.

MA-86

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
I believe we will be getting an A8 chip, touch ID and a redesigned chassis that will be slimmer with recessed volume controls as Apple will want to bring their mobile devices under one corporate look - with only one row of speaker grill holes, etc. (I posted a link to youtube video with the leaked iPad air 2 body on page 1)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I would love to collect everyone responsible for that, plus the executive team of Apple in a room, connect my iPad to a big screen, and just show them what a painful experience using Safari is.

I'd do a simple thing: I would try to write a forum post, not unlike this one, while also trying to cross reference it with Wikipedia and Google.

The tab reloading problem in Safari is not due a lack of RAM.
Adding more RAM will not fix it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

There is no color gamut problem. I'm typing this on my Air and the MR screen looks a bit washed. A beautiful color picture on the rMini is a beautiful color picture.

BOTH the above! If the lack of RAM was the cause of Safari reloading web pages, then why do other browsers on the iPad NOT have the same issue? It is NOT the Ram at fault.

And 100% agree, there is NO gamut problem with the retina mini. Yes it looks different to the Air, but looking different and proclaiming a product is flawed with a major colour gamut problem are a millions miles apart!

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
If mobile Safari was coded a little better, it wouldn't be so bad.

Safari isn't the only responsible.
Many apps are using WebViews nowadays, and web view caching drains memory very fast.
iOS 8 will introduce extensions, I expect many apps to provide extensions and a lot more to use those extensions inside them. What if the extension uses a lot of RAM?

I guess is time to move to 2GB on the iPad and on the iPhone

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Safari isn't the only responsible.
Many apps are using WebViews nowadays, and web view caching drains memory very fast.
iOS 8 will introduce extensions, I expect many apps to provide extensions and a lot more to use those extensions inside them. What if the extension uses a lot of RAM?

I guess is time to move to 2GB on the iPad and on the iPhone

I agree that it is time to move up from 1GB of RAM, but Safari does need to be improved (along with WebView)

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
I think the new Ipad Air 2 and Mini 3 are going to have:

A8 CPU
Improved camaras
TouchID
Thinner

And hopefully 2GB of RAM and the split sceen(Multi Window) just like on Samsung devices.

If they have most of the things then i most likely buy the new full size IPAD Air 2 in October/November and it will be my 1st ever Ipad.

And hopefully they improve Imovie on Ipad just like last year.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I predict that within 100 years iPads will be twice as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings in Europe will own them.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
There is no color gamut problem. I'm typing this on my Air and the MR screen looks a bit washed. A beautiful color picture on the rMini is a beautiful color picture.

I never said it was a problem. It's not as good as the iPad Air. It should be. And hopefully it soon will be.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron7624

I never said it was a problem. It's not as good as the iPad Air. It should be. And hopefully it soon will be.
To the human eye the difference between the two is simply slightly different. 'Not as good' implies that the screen would be so different as to be a problem, and it's NOT. Although slamming the mini seems to be a favored pastime on this site, there is no reason to continue to needle proponents of the rMini about a color gamut issue that only exists in some peoples mind because they read the results of someone's test, or they laid the two side by side and liked the dolor displayed on one machine over the other for whatever reason. Their is NO color gamut problem. Sheish :rolleyes:

----------

I played an electric guitar in bands for almost 15 years before my hearing took a hit. I have a 60% hearing loss as a result. If folks want to slam the rMini and compare it to the Air, well the level of volume is the true issue between the two. I have trouble hearing most anything on the ret mini, but can hear content very well when using the Air. With almost 6 grand worth of hearing aids in my ears, I still have a hard time hearing the rMini. There is too much of a difference between the two in that department.
Here is to hoping the refresh will fix that issue to a degree. That's the only thing that would cause me to trade up in the fall.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
...there is no reason to continue to needle proponents of the rMini about a color gamut issue...

And there it is.

I think you're being over defensive of your purchase. If you're happy with yours, why do you care if I would prefer a slightly better screen?

Talk about touching a nerve...

Ezhik

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Cupertino (No, really)

Well I really don't think so, considering that I've had this issue for over six years now with all my iOS devices.

iOS devices always had this lack of RAM for whatever reason.

----------

Also you know, literally every other high-end tablet has 2GB of RAM or more and does not suffer from these issues...

You could say that that is because they consume more RAM or something like that, but looking at it at the most basic level: other tablets do not have the tab issue and iPads do.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Well I really don't think so, considering that I've had this issue for over six years now with all my iOS devices.

iOS devices always had this lack of RAM for whatever reason.

----------

Also you know, literally every other high-end tablet has 2GB of RAM or more and does not suffer from these issues...

You could say that that is because they consume more RAM or something like that, but looking at it at the most basic level: other tablets do not have the tab issue and iPads do.

Not so. Plenty of current Android tablets, even with 2GB of RAM or more reload tabs - and often do so worse than the iPad Air. I own several of those tablets as well and have seen it first-hand.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I agree that it is time to move up from 1GB of RAM, but Safari does need to be improved (along with WebView)

WebViews are great, I use them a lot and the only setback is memory consumption. I guess it's all about caching, sometimes they waste way too much memory and that can be a problem for my apps.
The rendering speed is great though

Ezhik

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Cupertino (No, really)
Not so. Plenty of current Android tablets, even with 2GB of RAM or more reload tabs - and often do so worse than the iPad Air. I own several of those tablets as well and have seen it first-hand.

Huh. Well I've never seen that happen myself, although I don't really touch a whole lot of Android tablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.