Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Yeah that's not gonna happen, at least not first on an iPad. If they ever make the change then it will be first on the iPhone.
I don't expect USB-C, but I could actually see it on the iPad first if it were going to happen. The iPad already needs a special charger (so to speak, if you want it done this century), and is closer to a laptop in function and expectations. They could simply say they're having it join their MacBook line which already uses USB-C. And the iPad is much more likely to host peripherals that could take advantage of USB C (video/audio i/o, network i/o) which can't be done simultaneously using Lightning.

Here's a crazy idea, USB C where Lightning is now, and Lightning where the headphone jack is :eek:
[doublepost=1519226521][/doublepost]
Just bring the smart keyboard support to the normal iPad, Apple! It can replace tons of computers with just that feature

I agree every iPad should have the smart connector, but I don't see why using a bluetooth keyboard isn't just about the same in terms of replacing computers. If you want to do that, they need to add optional mouse pointer support for text and office-type apps while using any keyboard.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3 and AlexH

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I like the iPad for more casual reading, Internet, games, entertanment, and controlling Apple TV for example. Any serious Internet, photo editing, writing, spreadsheets, Taxes, the iPad fails miserably for my use. Mac my go to system. Therefore, my requirements for upgrading fall to damage, or the software no longer supported. My current iPad over three years old, more then meets my needs. Good thing for me, not so good for Apple.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
My one other wish, even if the budget iPad doesn't move to the quad speakers which it probably won't, moving one of the two stereo speakers to the top side would be nice for a better stereo mode in fullscreen video. It firing only out the bottom with no separation was always a bother to me.

Not expecting it, but the surprise would be welcome.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I like the iPad for more casual reading, Internet, games, entertanment, and controlling Apple TV for example. Any serious Internet, photo editing, writing, spreadsheets, Taxes, the iPad fails miserably for my use. Mac my go to system. Therefore, my requirements for upgrading fall to damage, or the software no longer supported. My current iPad over three years old, more then meets my needs. Good thing for me, not so good for Apple.

I still use an iPad Mini G1. It still works in regards to web browsing, youtube, netflix, and apple music.

Until it completely dies, I have no plan to replace it.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
All the people asking for new GPU / CPU really confuses me. The iPad in the last two years, at least for the Pro line hasn't been power, its been what iOS is limited to. You Are paying close to MBP prices but I have never grabbed an iPad over my MBP out of my bag for work. This is including Smart Cover / Keyboard / Pen. The iPad Pro is amazing for artists though, and I understand "Pro" is a broad term since there are multiple avenues that people make a living off of the iPad Pro. I've returned the iPad Pro two different times because of 100% buyers remorse of not being able to justify the high price tag but I am sure there are people in the art profession that it has paid off 5 fold for them.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
This is an opportunity for them to further cut costs on their Plain Jane 9.7" iPad, I'd have to assume... nothing to get excited about.

BryanJ

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
I just can't find an excuse to buy an iPad. Only thing that would change my mind is if textbooks became easier to own and use on an iPad. I get tired of lugging heavy textbooks around with me.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I don't expect USB-C, but I could actually see it on the iPad first if it were going to happen. The iPad already needs a special charger (so to speak, if you want it done this century), and is closer to a laptop in function and expectations. They could simply say they're having it join their MacBook line which already uses USB-C. And the iPad is much more likely to host peripherals that could take advantage of USB C (video/audio i/o, network i/o) which can't be done simultaneously using Lightning.

Here's a crazy idea, USB C where Lightning is now, and Lightning where the headphone jack is :eek:
[doublepost=1519226521][/doublepost]

I agree every iPad should have the smart connector, but I don't see why using a bluetooth keyboard isn't just about the same in terms of replacing computers. If you want to do that, they need to add optional mouse pointer support for text and office-type apps while using any keyboard.

That's just what I was thinking about USB-C.

I've long said they would add Lightning to a MacBook if they're serious about Lightning audio. So far it seems they aren't. There aren't even any Lightning headphone to USB-C adapters for the new MacBooks, requiring users to carry two different wired. headphones. So it's unlikely to see them add dual ports to the iPad or iPhone. More likely they will just drop Lightning altogether when they drop a physical port, no longer needed for charging. The smart connector could be used instead for most hard wired dependant needs, and wireless for everything else. The iPad would just change to USB-C. And anybody foolish enough to buy a Lightning audio device will be out of luck, or maybe an adapter to the Smart connector?

I'm not sure a mouse is needed on an iPad, now that they have the Pencil. The issue with office-type apps is that the finger is a great pointing device, but not a particularly good editing tool. The pencil solves that problem, and on a laptop-sized device a pretty efficient solution, for use with any keyboard.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
All the people asking for new GPU / CPU really confuses me. The iPad in the last two years, at least for the Pro line hasn't been power, its been what iOS is limited to. You Are paying close to MBP prices but I have never grabbed an iPad over my MBP out of my bag for work. This is including Smart Cover / Keyboard / Pen. The iPad Pro is amazing for artists though, and I understand "Pro" is a broad term since there are multiple avenues that people make a living off of the iPad Pro. I've returned the iPad Pro two different times because of 100% buyers remorse of not being able to justify the high price tag but I am sure there are people in the art profession that it has paid off 5 fold for them.
With the Smart Keyboard and Files, I find it’s now possible to get basically all my work done on the iPad, and it cost $800 total after tax. That’s significantly better value than a Mac. I was planning to replace my aging MBP, but now I think I won’t. I love the ProMotion display and True Tone, which afaik isn’t available on Macs. I love the Pencil support and the ease of reading books and comics and other entertainment, then snapping it into the keyboard to get real work done. And I love how light and thin it is for travel.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
They put an A9 in it 3 months before releasing the new Pros in 2017 with A10X. So if they did that then a new Pro in June would be a certainty with A11X.

A10 and A10X are also a lot more different than A9 and A9X for one, but June isn't that far off either. If this launches late March that's still about 3 months.

Not sure what anyone has issue with with the iPad Budget getting A10 soon, it makes sense.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Looks like Apple is like a fin domme for you. She asks, you pay xD

When it comes to iPads, I must admit this is not far from the truth...

I'd been waiting for tablets to become a reality for pretty much all my life (which has already been a pretty long time), and since Apple finally made my dream come true in 2010, I had to (!) buy almost every iteration (with the exception of the iPad4 and the 1st gen iPad Pro) as I'm a big, big fan of the iPads. Even more so than of the iPhones, which I love a lot, too :)

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
My wife got a new iPad during the Black Friday sales when a number of retailers had them for $250. I inherited the old iPad 3 and use it as an e-reader but it is hopelessly slow loading internet sites. If they refresh the device with an A10 chip and keep everything else equal at a $250 retail price point I'll probably pick one up for myself.

It is amazing how much better the 4:3 ratio screen size is for reading and browsing than the typical 16:9 tablet/phablet or even the 3:2 Surface Pro.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I’m calling it: small event on/around March 13*.

Predictions: New entry level iPad / iOS 11.3 / new Apple Watch straps (spring refresh) / AirPower / MacBook update / some apps updated (iMovie?)

* John Lewis have a special offer running on all iPad (free 3-year guarantee) until March 13.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Apple, please make this!

geskin-ipad-pro-1.jpg

https://twitter.com/VenyaGeskin1/status/928359669525024769?s=20

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
It doesn't seem like 2 low end iPads would be enough for a March event. Even throwing in the iPhone SE2 doesn't seem enough. It makes sense to also debut the Face ID Pro model in March vs holding it until WWDC.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
To TC and his crew I am definitely an outlier, almost like I would be a senior citizen, in death spiral, of limited income and no technical chops (but no offense meant to senior citizens in here).

Why an outlier?

Because for mobile use, I love the iPad Mini 4 (for travel), and the iPhone SE (for daily driver).
Love their ergonomic size and weight. And, against the flow in here, I remain a fan of TouchID.

Hope that Apple refreshes both, Mini and SE, since both use bin parts, and bear large gross margins (TC's found religion).
But maybe not, as Apple counts me as an outlier, and also a Luddite.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Please, Apple, pretty please!

Please no new bezel-less iPad Pro 12.9" with FaceID!
I still love my 2nd Gen iPP, and just don't want to (have to) spend money AGAIN! :)

Unless Apple has figured out how to get FaceID to work in landscape it's a terrible idea for the 12.9" -- at least for me. I typically hold it that way because it gets a bit awkward and top heavy holding in portrait. Also I'm fine with the notch in my X because it's a phone. I could not accept a notch in my 12.9" screen. That would just piss me off every time I looked at it. So Apple would need to figure out how to conceal the camera better too.

Bezel-less would be nice but the screen is already plenty big -- unlike the iPhone 4.7" which I was constantly wishing for more screen. I think the mini could benefit most from FaceID and a bezel-less screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.