iPad Rumor Wrap Up and Likelihood of 22-Inch TouchScreen iMac

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

With the launch of the Apple iPad, we can finally put to rest long running rumors of the Apple tablet. We've been talking about the possibility of an Apple tablet for nearly a decade with an early MacRumors forum poster from 2001 even labeling a rumored Apple PDA at the time the "iPad". Most surprisingly, this rumor predated the launch of the iPod by 6 months.

Given the large number of tablet predictions leading up to the iPad launch, we aren't going to bother rehashing every single report. Unsurprisingly, the New York Times and Wall Street Journal had the most specific and reliable information about Apple's plans, while analyst reports remain widely varied and unhelpful.

Here are a few of the more interesting reports that turned out to be correct:

- Apple must be behind the Delaware corporation IP Application Development, LLC (IPAD) which applied for international trademarks on the term "IPAD" in the weeks leading to the launch. Given all the media attention on the company, Apple is clearly making efforts to hide its moves with dummy corporations.

- Alex Albrecht of Diggnation may have been right that the Apple tablet was priced "shockingly low". A somewhat vague, but memorable rumor that seemed to come true with the launch price for $499 for the iPad.

- Mobile Analytics firm Flurry's analysis that approximately 50 iPhone OS based tablet devices were in testing was correct. They pinpointed iPhone OS 3.2 as well as the ability to run existing iPhone applications. We had some doubts about their conclusions at the time, but it turns out they were right.

Finally, with all the rumors about a 10-11" screen for the Apple tablet, only one report accurately pinpointed the fact that the iPad actually houses a 9.7" screen. China Times predicted that Apple would launch a 9.7" device by the end of January. While this fact alone may only be of passing interest, the same article reported that Apple is also preparing to launch a 22-inch touchscreen iMac in the second half of this year.

So, if we believe they knew about the 9.7" iPad, then we should also believe that multi-touch will be coming to the Mac line later this year.

Article Link: iPad Rumor Wrap Up and Likelihood of 22-Inch TouchScreen iMac

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
I don't see a touchscreen Mac without a touchscreen version of OS X, and I'd be surprised if that's anyway near launch..

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
9.7 inch is pretty specific, looks like we'll see a 22" desktop. Wonder if it will run iPhone OS?

Perhaps iPhone OS will eventually grow to be the replacement for Mac OS X in the coming years...

Think about iPhone OS on a big touchscreen with an ATI 5850 and a Quad Core i7 on a SSD...

Running Final Cut and Logic...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Not to be pessimistic, but wouldn't your arms get tired from being raised towards the iMac screen all the time?

That being said, I would love to see some touch Macs! :D Good news if true!

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
I'm still not sold on having a touch screen on anything larger than a laptop screen that you generally sit close to. My iMac is quite a ways back from where I sit so I can see the whole screen easier and quicker. The fatigue from your hands constantly being up would be a massive pain in the ass in my opinion unless the monitor is very close to you. I've played around with the HP TouchSmart at my local BestBuy and I couldn't see myself using it as a desktop computer for everyday use.

Also i'm really anal about fingerprints on my monitor so this would be a nightmare for me.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Well they usually do release iMacs later in the year, I suppose they could perfect the technology to do it. I'm excited for WWDC this year.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I think that decade of rumours may be the iPad's biggest problem. There seem to be way too many people putting too much faith in mere rumours that led to such unrealistic expectations.

Hopefully by the time it is launched more people will see the potential this device has to be great.

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Well we still need to dream about some fantasy Apple product that we all want like yesterday, so why not an iMac Touch? We have the iPhone now and a Newton like tablet, but what else is there, ah is this the end of the rumors....... probably not. :D :apple: :confused:

Actually does anyone know what's happening with the AppleTV, I know the software has been updated, but I've been waiting for a larger hard drive, 160 gig is the size of the iPod Classic, I'm kind of hoping for something closer to a terabyte.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Actually does anyone know what's happening with the AppleTV, I know the software has been updated, but I've been waiting for a larger hard drive, 160 gig is the size of the iPod Classic, I'm kind of hoping for something closer to a terabyte.
My guess is it's going to get phased out completely not too long from now.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
It's time I made my first Apple prediction, and it is...

iTable!

22" multi-touch tabletop computer, designed to tolerate and even detect your coffee mugs, spilled food, etc. Will detect up to 32 independent touch interactions simultaneously, and a special patented feature specifically designed to piss off Bill Gates by being the first company to make table-top computing successfully marketable will be included as a primary selling point!

Seriously though, I could see an iTable. 22" would fit nicely in the middle of my coffee table, or on a card table, it could be a fun way to interact with friends :)

I have serious doubts that an iMac style touchscreen will show up though, because as was mentioned, it's an awful user experience. In fact, it would probably draw the ire of medical professionals regarding the terrible ergonomics. I know what you're thinking: "Why doesn't HP draw ire then?" because nobody cares about HP.

Something that might be plausible, however, might be a standardized touch based interface that went along with your keyboard or something. Maybe even plans to make the iPad act as an official touch based interface to a mac it's sitting next to, via bluetooth? Who knows. It seems like many of these rumors are based in fact and the results are like that game you play in school where you whisper a secret phrase around the room and by the time you get to the last kid, it's totally lost its meaning.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
It's time I made my first Apple prediction, and it is...

iTable!

22" multi-touch tabletop computer, designed to tolerate and even detect your coffee mugs, spilled food, etc. Will detect up to 32 independent touch interactions simultaneously, and a special patented feature specifically designed to piss off Bill Gates by being the first company to make table-top computing successfully marketable will be included as a primary selling point!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
9.7 inch is pretty specific, looks like we'll see a 22" desktop. Wonder if it will run iPhone OS?

Perhaps iPhone OS will eventually grow to be the replacement for Mac OS X in the coming years...

Think about iPhone OS on a big touchscreen with an ATI 5850 and a Quad Core i7 on a SSD...

Running Final Cut and Logic...
You mean running Final Cut OR Logic. Welcome to the new single-tasking iMac Touch. It's like 1984 again, just prettier*

* we'll maybe add multitasking later.

Gatesbasher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
I'd really love to have one of the new 27" iMacs, but I can't afford it right now. Besides, it's really crying out for a Blu-Ray drive. If they put one in, or even just an HDMI input, I'd sell a kidney and buy one anyway. But then I'm going to get my greasy paw-prints all over that gorgeous display? No way in Hell!

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I don't think we'll see a touchscreen iMac as it is.

I think we may see a desktop touch computer along the lines of the iPad but with a very large screen and the ability to adjust its angle from near vertical to watch movies etc to almost lying flat while working on iWork etc. Perhaps this will run something more like OSX but I expect it would run the same as the iPad and be a stand alone product.

This will be to iMac what the iPad is to the MacBook.

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Not to be pessimistic, but wouldn't your arms get tired from being raised towards the iMac screen all the time?

That being said, I would love to see some touch Macs! :D Good news if true!
I'd be pessimistic too if I thought Apple was simply going to slap a touch screen on the existing iMac design.

They won't. They'll do something with the ergonomics. If I knew what that was I'd be an industrial designer. But I guess they'll make the screen angle highly adjustable.

You could work at a 30 or 45 degree angle or maybe flat like another poster suggested.

EDIT: D'oh! Talking future beat me to it!

GL2

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2009
The iPad post from 2001 is interesting, but I have to think getting the name right was merely good guessing. If Apple had been seriously contemplating that name way back in 2001, they would have secured it at the time. But they didn't attempt to do so until 2007, and it sounds like they didn't really get serious about it until July 2009. Now they are going to have to fight with Fujitsu over it.

I think I would prefer to stick with a mouse and keyboard for my desktop computers for ergonomics reasons, but some with bigger deltoids than me might feel otherwise.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Yeah with other brands already coming up with Touch screen desktops, it's about time that Apple is releasing theirs...:D
I don't think we will see a touch computer from Apple.
Touch as a technology is great for a certain type of application. It's good for scrolling and selecting items.

And the ergonomics of touch favor something you can hold in your hand.
To reach out and touch a 28" screen for an entire working day would be agonising.

I think Apple will utilise touchscreens in their media consumption devices. But when it comes to content creation, the keyboard, screen and pointing device will stay with us for a while.

C.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
God I hope so.

Previously I would have though that a iMac touch would be terrible. After the iPad demo (even though I don't like the iPad much) it go me thinking about all the apps I use right now on the mac and how they could be so much better with a touch screen (Not a vertical one obviously).
The app I would most like to see go touch screen is Xcode.
imagine if instead of typing out variables and functions, you could just drag functions from a menu onto the code and then drag variables into the (). It would be ten times faster than typing everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.