iPad SDK 3.2 Details: External Display, File Sharing System, No Multitasking

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has unleashed iPhone OS 3.2 SDK to developers today to prepare for the launch of the Apple iPad. The new iPhone OS 3.2 only runs on the iPad device and will not run on the iPhone or iPod Touch. The accompanying documents have revealed a number of interesting features about the iPad and the latest version of the iPad operating system.

- External Display Support. iPad applications will be able to display content specifically targeted to an external display connected to the iPad via the Dock connector. This sort of external monitor support has never been allowed with the iPhone SDK.
- File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.
- No Multitasking. Only one application runs at a time according to official documentation.

Of course, a lot of questions remain, and we'll certainly hear more as we approach the iPad's ship date.

Article Link: iPad SDK 3.2 Details: External Display, File Sharing System, No Multitasking

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
This is just like the iPhone: It's got great potential, but you'll want to wait till the second or third generation when the major kinks have been worked out.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.
This was one of the first things I was wondering about after I saw the demo's of iWork.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
This is just like the iPhone: It's got great potential, but you'll want to wait till the second or third generation when the major kinks have been worked out.
... other than EDGE, what's so different with the current iPhones? I would still use mine if I hadn't dropped it a couple weeks before the 3GS came out.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I want to be the first kid on the block with one of these...:cool:
I might be the second--if it can replace my Kindle as an eReader (and I mean without too much eyestrain if I read for a couple of hours) and do more.

I am experiencing, like many people, the lowering of expectations, however.

petebuckingham

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
So it'll be like iphone/touch. Any of my media (films/episodes) that I er havn't acquired through itunes wont play on it. No quicktime/vlc etc..unless I convert it to bloody mp4 or whatever. That's a complete downer for me. What a shame :mad:

suneun

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
- File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.

Article Link: iPad SDK 3.2 Details: External Display, File Sharing System, No Multitasking

Will this allow for a developer to write a program to watch divx and other related video media from the shared file directory? That would make the iPad a lot more appealing. I think free streaming video (hulu) and watching divx files would be my primary use for the device.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
True multi-tasking is very over rated for such a device.

If music can play behind everything, like an iPt, fine. But, a calculator that multitasks would be nice. Other than that, I can't imagine what is so important that you can't switch between the applications, if the applications launch fast enough to not be noticed.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
When it says "no multitasking" does it actually mean no multitasking, or is it like the iPhone - "3rd party apps are not allowed to multitask"?

I assume you will still be able to listen to music and get email notifications while working in Pages etc.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
We're gonna have to wait till iPad 6G S. That's when there's gonna be some major improvements, atm, it's just a big iPhone with no camera! iPad = IFlop IMO. :mad:

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
... other than EDGE, what's so different with the current iPhones? I would still use mine if I hadn't dropped it a couple weeks before the 3GS came out.

As gizmo said "I'm talking about MMS. Video recording. Custom ringtones. Mass storage. Fully functioning Bluetooth with stereo audio streaming. Voice dialing when you're using a car kit. Sending contact info to other people. Instant friggin' messenging. Sending an SMS to more than one recipient at a time."

Plus, a decent camera and a decent price..and the app store.

But probably the iPad will continue Apple's pattern of introducing a product with limited capability then giving it what it needs in future revisions.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
im so confused.

so apps made for pad wont work for iphone? but iphone apps might work for pad they just wont look great?

so for a company that has an app..say Target...they should make iphone/ipod touch app and then a separate ipad app?

bamerican

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
The Kindle for iPhone app would let me use any amazon.com books instead of Apple's store (which also permits highlighting and notes), but what bothers me is the lack of multitasking. Pandora while surfing and/or IMing is a must.

That needs to change. Hopefully, it will soon. Then I'll make my purchase.

Coldwilson

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Files share to PC or MAC is to be expected but..

I would hope that it is designed to be able to print from iwork directly to a printer connected either via network (wireless or LAN) or via a USB printer connected to the Mac/PC. Anything else would be rather cumbersome.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
tell that to all the people who WILL NOT give up their 1st gen iphone.

a vast community still sees that one as the best ever. just sayin.

suneun

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
Course most people who are considering an iPad probably have an ipod/touch/iphone and could easily listen through Pandora on that device while using the iPad. Not elegant I know, but not likely to be a deal breaker for me. My iphone's going to be nearby anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.