Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
A quick observation/question...

Will the "File Sharing" feature allow programs like VLC Player app to play movies in a format other than the iTunes standard? If so, that would absolutely be a huge plus for the iPad. I would love the ability to play .avi files on the device without having to convert them like I do on the iPhone.

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
It Useless Junk

Incredibly disappointing. I will not be buying this product... and I had the credit card ready and waiting this morning!

Same here, the "most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price" is junk to me when I have an iPhone that fits into my pocket. My MBP is nice to have for my school work and I love the iPhone for my maps, Facebook, and other materials I used on the go. I have the internet with me too. Why do I need to get the iPad.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Wow. Letdown. If you have an iPhone, I don't get the point of this outside of the fact that you can read ebooks. Then again, if you have an iPhone, you might as well just get a cheaper, and more established, Kindle...

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
What about a damn 'Home sharing' solution...

Okay I'll buy one when I don't have to sync my entire library to it...

Something like this should really be able to stream my iTunes library (Audio and Video) from my own network... When Apple makes it do that I'll bite.

ggt

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
UK
I think it's interesting to note that the SDK that has been released is iPhone SDK 3.2. I'm pretty sure when a new iPhone is released, that will introduce iPhone OS 4.0. Perhaps that's when all (or most) of the mobile devices, including the iPad, will get multitasking and whatever else. Just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing. Let's hope so.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
If Apple is foolish enough not to include multitasking on this thing, I'll definitely be jailbreaking the shiznit out of it.

Though I do agree with others that this will probably be an iPhone 4.0 feature that will carry over to the iPad (I still can't believe they went with that name).

Seems it's time to rename this iPhone OS, no? Perhaps OS X Mobile? Or OS X Touch?

Edunwody

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_5_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10)

Lesser Evets said:
True multi-tasking is very over rated for such a device.

If music can play behind everything, like an iPt, fine. But, a calculator that multitasks would be nice. Other than that, I can't imagine what is so important that you can't switch between the applications, if the applications launch fast enough to not be noticed.

My biggest need would like to be able to use XM on the iPhone and a GPS app at the same time.

MysterMac

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
countdown to iPadDevTeam jailbreak ....

its so dumbed down, and the 4:3 ratio - eew

shoulda called it "iFoolscap " :p

bobby990

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
External display

So, you can use it as an external display or it can use an external display?

You can use an external display. The iPad drives VGA and 480p. Presumably you can use it to deliver Keynote presentations, which would be a big win for me.

I'll try one, please.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
This thing is sick. I'm getting the first revision which I hardly do with Apple products...

Besides, all the other great innovations with the new iPad - I am sold because of the 10 hour battery life... That is perfect for long plane trips!

RELEASE IT NOW PLEASE!!!!! :p

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
We're gonna have to wait till iPad 6G S. That's when there's gonna be some major improvements, atm, it's just a big iPhone with no camera! iPad = IFlop IMO. :mad:

Don't forget that when that day comes, there will also be an iPhone 6GS - so the iPad will STILL be "just a big iPhone." :rolleyes:

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
A quick observation/question...

Will the "File Sharing" feature allow programs like VLC Player app to play movies in a format other than the iTunes standard? If so, that would absolutely be a huge plus for the iPad. I would love the ability to play .avi files on the device without having to convert them like I do on the iPhone.

The likelihood of that happening is pointless. Apple doesn't even support programs so you can take your DVDs to iPod format. It is all third party stuff. Apple wants to make the most money and the iPod touch will still out sell the iPad.

JensenJJ

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
I miss
1) Multitasking
2) Build in SD card reader (I don't want to have extra hardware to plug in to it, to see/transfere items)
3) VLC player, or just a way to get it to play all video and audio formats out there. And general just open all file formats

If I dumps a few DVD's as ISO, or incode them with x.264 in a Matroska container, so I can take them with my on my travels.
Then I want to play them with out problem (And a tablet looks like a smart thing to take on travels. it's small, it's handy to read E-Books, watch movies, listen to some music)
For real work, I use a real computer :)

So what I wanted was more real computer, less iPhone.

But it's a start.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Little disappointed

I'm actually a little disappointed with the product in general. I really was hoping it would be a real table Mac, that runs OS X and allows you to do everything a regular laptop would be able to do but in a tablet format. Woulda loved to be able to use a stylus to mark-up documents, save files to a hard drive, print, all the things a regular laptop can do but the iPad can't. I do like the iphone/ipod touch interface as well, but wish it also had the option to act like a regular MacBook and use OS X. It could be much more capable than what it is. I'm not sure if people will go for simply an oversized ipod touch...I know I won't :(

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Agree with your analysis.

However, am forced to wonder if no multitasking is a function of OS 3.x, rather than a hardware limitation. I guess what I'm suggesting (as others surely have), is that we'll see multitasking on this device in OS 4.x.

I am sure multitasking on some level will crop up soon. In a few years there will most likely be a great deal of multi-tasking. The iPad form will become a stronger computing platform.

listening to mp3 and surfing the net is overated

So you are obviously unfamiliar with the iPod Touch/iPhone.

FAIL.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
True multi-tasking is very over rated for such a device.

If music can play behind everything, like an iPt, fine. But, a calculator that multitasks would be nice. Other than that, I can't imagine what is so important that you can't switch between the applications, if the applications launch fast enough to not be noticed.

i agree. especially if it takes a second or 3 to launch an app. what a letdown.

The launch time is not the problem, it's the state of the application when quitting. For example, you're in IM program, you type a message, you want to grab the url of the site that you were reading early in the day, so you have to switch to Safari. Unfortunately, that requires you to quit the IM app, which disconnect you from the service, you go to safari, grab the url, back to IM which has to reconnect to all the IM services and download new IMs that you missed while you were gone meaning the application got reset basically. This operation can take 5-15 seconds to do but can be done less than a sec with a true multitasking OS.

A lot of applications reset itself when quitting. Suppose you're playing a game and you want to switch to some other app to check on something, you can't get back to the game after quitting. Applications should be frozen when switching, not reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.