iPad smart cover is amazing!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JRoDDz, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

The iPad smart cover is really well designed. There is no metal on metal contact at all. There are pads covering the metal so it won't scratch. It works great!

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

The first Apple case for the iPad sucked so bad, I had to return it. It looks like they've put more effort on the cases now. So many colors, plastic or leather, ah...the luxury. :D

3. Pared macrumors 65816

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It wouldn't stay on as the iPad 2 has magnets under the surface. Aluminum isn't magnetic.

5. Pared macrumors 65816

Didn't realize the 2 had magnets. Interesting.

Given the space in the 1, I wonder if a mod is possible...

6. OSMac macrumors 65816

When your using the iPad does it stick to the back?

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I ws just going to ask that because the one I have 'sorta' does, but not really, and I wonder if it may be a bit defective...it also has a very slight bend.

So my answer is, not really. That seems silly.

8. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

It has a slight ammont of grab to the back, but not much. I love the lock/unlock.

Can't wait for a flood of full cases that use the magnet. I am also reading that you can rig magnets into other cases to use this function.

You can disable the magnet lock in settings if you like.

9. timmciglobal macrumors member

The magnetic cover really is pretty impressive. It locks into place really solidly on the side and the 3 bend triangle shape as a stand works quite well.

Wish it "stuck" when you turned it around but alas, can't have it all.

Tim

10. martinmartin macrumors 6502

not at all

no

11. Pared macrumors 65816

12. iRabbit macrumors 6502

my only gripe with it. I'm not complete sold on it yet... Though the way it covers the iPad is really neat, I'm not sold on lap usage in bed because it doesn't stay quite stay put. I used to love my BoxWave case so I'm hoping they'll put out an iPad 2 case soon.

13. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Yes, but I got the leather one, and I'm finding the the first panel (non hinge size) tends to droop or drop off the back of the iPad when I hold it one handed. I wonder if the leather is heavier than the poly version? I'll be going back to the Apple Store tomorrow to check this out.

Anyone with a poly or leather seeing this problem?

14. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

My green poly is doing this. I'm not completely happy with the feel of holding the opened smart cover. I tend to switch between hands holding the iPad and the smart cover keeps on drooping. Thankfully it's easy to remove and reattach.

15. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I tend to hold the iPad2 in my left hand and use my right hand on the touch screen. Am I wrong to think the non-hinge side should stick unsupported by my left hand?

16. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

It sort of sticks, but the magent there is extremely weak. It comes unattached easily.

17. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I also bought the smart cover, but what is available to protect the back so it does not get all scratched up. Is there any type of clear shield?

18. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Best Skins ever is having a really good preorder sale. They ship out monday too.

19. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Thanks, I just ordered one.

20. todd03blown macrumors member

Thanks!

21. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I got the pink poly smart cover. I don't think when it's folded all the way back it's meant to stick - at least mine doesn't. Would be nice if it did, but it's not a biggie to me.

I was impressed with how beautifully the magnets worked to auto-align to the right spot on the iPad.

As far as back protection, I went to http://www.gelaskins.com and bought one of the artsy looking skins, which will cover the back, and then the front frame. Not sure if I want to cover the front frame yet (I got the white iPad 2).

22. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I didn't buy a smart cover and I'm wondering if I should have... I'm noticing just how important it is to have a stand when you put in on your lap or on a table.

23. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I wonder is Steve will tell us we are holding it wrong ;) Actually the thing is growing on me. I used it as a stand at a coffee shop this morning and it was very handy. I'm going to look at the poly ones this weekend and see if they are thinner than the leather, or less weight. Maybe that will help with the slight dropping off problem when wrapped around the back of the iPad2.

24. RebelSyd macrumors newbie

I agree - kinda annoying holding it in its open position. I'm right handed and am finding that folding in half on the back feels ok and prevents the droop - if you don't switch hands of course :) It does look sweet though and the magnetic hinges are really cool...

25. iserian macrumors 6502

Are you serious? It's magical to you... Like many others have said at best it's a fashion accessory and a pos at its worst. I find it to be completely crapicial.