• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
According to Appleinsider, the iPad may have a limited production of just 300,000 units initially and/or have a delay in release due to "unspecified production problems."

"The upcoming iPad launch may be somewhat limited as a manufacturing bottleneck has impacted production of Apple's newest device," Misek wrote. "An unspecified production problem at the iPad's manufacturer, Hon Hai Precision, will likely limit the launch region to the US and the number of units available to roughly 300K in the month of march, far lower than the company's initial estimate of 1,000K units."

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...n_hit_by_manufacturing_bottleneck_report.html

If true I'm going to the Apple store on launch day in order to witness the carnage first hand.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
According to Appleinsider, the iPad may have a limited production of just 300,000 units initially and/or have a delay in release due to "unspecified production problems."

"The upcoming iPad launch may be somewhat limited as a manufacturing bottleneck has impacted production of Apple's newest device," Misek wrote. "An unspecified production problem at the iPad's manufacturer, Hon Hai Precision, will likely limit the launch region to the US and the number of units available to roughly 300K in the month of march, far lower than the company's initial estimate of 1,000K units."

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...n_hit_by_manufacturing_bottleneck_report.html

If true I'm going to the Apple store on launch day in order to witness the carnage first hand.

Or could be marketing spin to create greater demand. Who knows

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Probably just hype by Apple to make sure that there are huge lines at their stores for the press to cover.

I'm likely to get the 32gb wifi but have changed my mind before. According to polling, it seems to be one of the least requested models, so I should be good to go.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iPad Supplies to Be Constrained at Launch Due to Production Issues?

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

144139-ipad_side_view.jpg

Digital Daily reports on a new research note from analyst Peter Misek at Canaccord Adams claiming that availability of Apple's iPad tablet device may be limited at its launch later this month, citing a "manufacturing bottleneck" at partner Hon Hai Precision that may result in initial distribution being limited to the U.S. or even delayed entirely.
"We have ... heard that the upcoming iPad launch may be somewhat limited as a manufacturing bottleneck has impacted production of Apple's newest device," Misek writes. "An unspecified production problem at the iPad's manufacturer, Hon Hai Precision, will likely limit the launch region to the US and the number of units available to roughly 300K in the month of March, far lower than the company’s initial estimate of 1,000K units. The delay in production ramp will likely impact Apple's April unit estimate of 800K as well. It is also possible that, given the limited number of units available in March, the launch will be delayed for a month."
The source and veracity of Misek's information is unknown, although it is perhaps wise to note that Misek predicted that Apple's January media event that saw the introduction of the iPad would also include the introduction of iPhone OS 4.0 and an announcement regarding a Verizon-compatible iPhone for mid-2010, neither of which came to fruition.

Article Link: iPad Supplies to Be Constrained at Launch Due to Production Issues?

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Or they want to create a culture where they are hard to come buy, thus giving the appearance to the uneducated customer that the product is very popular.:rolleyes:

Comment

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
It's all moot if the FCC approval hasn't gone through by the intended launch date, anyway.

Comment

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Hard to believe Apple would delay the launch of such a highly publicized/anticipated product. They could do it and just have one "end of April" launch date for either flavor of the iPad...but I think it unlikely.

Just a few short weeks away until the launch. I guess if we don't see pre-orders going up on the Apple site soon, we'll know it's delayed!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Seems like a convenient way for Apple to build hype in advance of the launch. They need big crowds at their stores for the media to cover on launch day. If people think there are constrained supplies, they are probably more likely to line up.

I wonder if certain models will be in tighter supply? Maybe they will simply push back the availability of WIFI to the same time as 3g? I think a lot of people would splurge and spend the extra $130 for the 3g model if that were the case. I didn't want to wait an extra month for 3g. I know, it's sad, but if I were forced to wait I'd probably just pick up the 3g model so that I can use the wireless on trips and for the GPS. But the wait so far has been agonizing. Things are starting to get desperate over in the iPad section of the forum. Really--go check it out. It's getting insane.

Comment

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is interesting. I doubt Apple would actually try to make the product scarce. I think that would be bad PR for them at this point in time.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Well, that sucks. The only ones happy are site owners like Arn. More clicks!! :D

How much is 1,000K units? One thousand thousand units? :)

1000K is common in that usage.

In answer to your question, yes.

Comment

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
I'll still be there day1. No camping out for me, last time I checked a poll the 64gb wifi only wasn't the most popular thing.

Comment

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
There would be an enormous negative outcry from the media and public if this turns out to be true. It's supposed to be "the" tablet device to have.

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
There would be an enormous negative outcry from the media and public if this turns out to be true. It's supposed to be "the" tablet device to have.

If you think about it having a delay in actually getting the iPad into peoples hands would only increase the anticipation.

Comment

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
If you think about it having a delay in actually getting the iPad into peoples hands would only increase the anticipation.

I agree with you. People are going to want to get a hold of it even more. However, people are going to ask why is there an extra delay. The media will cover any info about production problems.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
His source could be someone getting feed false info so Apple can weed out moles. I believe this is part of Apple's operating procedures.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.