Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

105520-ipad_business.jpg

Bloomberg Businessweek profiles the rapidly-growing impact of Apple's iPad in the business world, showing how lessons in data security and other aspects important in corporate settings learned by the company with the iPhone have allowed the iPad to quickly gain popularity with an array of companies in various industries.
Apple, known for courting consumers with sleek designs and easy-to-use software, is making inroads with corporations that say the iPad can make workers more productive without putting sensitive customer information at risk. SAP (SAP), Tellabs (TLAB), and Daimler's (DAI:GR) Mercedes-Benz are using the tablet-style computer for tasks as varied as accessing work e-mail, approving shipping orders, and calling up on-the-spot auto-finance options.
Analysts note that companies have been reluctant to adopt tablet-based computers until now due to their typically underpowered nature and inability to multitask. The appeal of the iPad has, however, caused companies to rethink how tablets can be used and to experiment with the iPad in their businesses.
Reservations aside, Wells Fargo saw early on how quickly the iPad might take hold among business clients the weekend the device was released. Finance executives of large companies - those that generate more than $50 million in revenue - accessed corporate Wells Fargo accounts with iPads, says Amy Johnson, a Wells Fargo vice-president who works on the company's online portal and mobile strategy. A finance official or account representative could use a mobile device like the iPad to approve multimillion-dollar wire transfers, she explains.
The report also highlights Daimler's Mercedes-Benz unit, which has rolled out iPads to 40 of its U.S. dealerships to allow sales representatives to share financing options with customers as they wander around the showroom. The company has also released an iPhone application to allow customers to manage their finance accounts and make payments on their vehicles, signaling the company's growing presence on Apple's iOS platform.

Article Link: iPad Taking Hold in Corporate Settings

dbrockman

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Our City Council is getting them. I may run for office since I already have one. "I am saving money since you don't have to by me one!"

Comment

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
so far I've only seen business people with iPads...

I think a lot more people have iPads than people experience. Many people keep theirs at home or in a bag whilst in public settings. It's not like smartphones.

Comment

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
This will only continue to increase once iOS4 hits the iPad, as well as the coming-soon-Steve-Jobs-confirmed printing functionality.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’m always hearing people talk about business/paperwork type problems and someone says “they should just a bunch of iPads.”

Ironically the best reason to use tablets NOW instead of before is a reason corporate IT departments too often overlook: productivity and ease for the end-user!

(I assume when analysts say enterprise users want a tablet that “multitasks” them really mean a multi-FUNCTION device; they don’t literally care that much about the app-switching UI, they simply want a device that can solve multiple needs in one. Those UPS tablets for instance seem to be dedicated to one or two tasks, but an iPad has email, maps, web apps, you name it.)

I would like to see a day where the usage breaks down like this:

60% use tablets
25% use laptops
15% use desktops

Look 10+ years ahead and I think we’ll see:

90% portable-size tablets (some with keyboard accessory)
10% desktop tablets (widescreen, battery-less production machines, laid on desk at slight angle, able to show multiple apps side by side, most with keyboard accessory)

Comment

f00f

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
Ipads are all over the place here. Granted we're a software shop, it's never been a Mac shop in any shape or form. Now there are iPads everywhere on the top floor (where the suits are). I don't think they use them for much more than Keynote and email. :D

My team (mostly IT admins) use them as well but we run into lots of usability issues because of internal sites that are -- you got it -- flash dependent. For example, the monitoring software we use is mostly web-based and Flash-driven, with no indication within the foreseeable future of a conversion to HTML5. Bummer.

iSSH and iTap RDP rock though. ;)

Comment

murkurb

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Though it's sure to have competitors in the future, the iPad has an early foothold in the tablet-use-in-business market.

Comment

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
I enjoyed the example of car dealerships using them to show off financing options. The possibilities are endless with the device. I hope to see restaurants adopt the iPad for taking orders etc. It can really help streamline any process.

Noah Milman
Mac Ninja
noah@virtuacomputers.com
Virtua Computers
http://www.thebigappleblog.com

A restaurant in Australia is already doing that I guess. Apparently Asians are finding more use for the iPad than Americans..

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/06/11/what_asia_gets_about_the_ipad_that_the_us_doesnt

Comment

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
The hostess at our local Carrabbas' Italian Grille last week was using an iPad with a custom native app for reservations, seating map, and wait staff assignments at the front door. Pretty spiffy.

Comment

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I've seen some execs with an iPad. I would not be surprised if they have been experimenting with Salesforce on the thing.

I wonder how soon it will be that they start asking for apps that are currently IE or windows desktop only to be converted into genuine web apps so that they can be used on devices like the iPad.

Comment

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I just don't think the price is too friendly, especially with all these cash strapped budgets. Try explaining a large iPad purchase..

Comment

oocq

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
I see great potential for the iPad in business and medical settings.

So much so in fact that I've gone to the length of building a business app. What's more, it's been released in the app store this week!

For those that are interested check out http://shiftyapp.com

Comment

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I just don't think the price is too friendly, especially with all these cash strapped budgets. Try explaining a large iPad purchase..
Some corporations spend more on office supplies alone compared to upgrading computers.
I don't believe its a stretch with the pricing, its pretty close to reasonable for larger corps.

Comment

SB27

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
This will only continue to increase once iOS4 hits the iPad, as well as the coming-soon-Steve-Jobs-confirmed printing functionality.

You are correct. Until they getting file storage and printing in iOS iPad, it is a showstopper in corporate America. Our company looked at them as an option for our endless global meetings and decided to wait until security, file storage and full wireless printing were enabled. Until then, no go.

Comment

TXOID

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
My friend is a dentist and she said that the clinic that she's working with now requires employees to use iPad...Kudos to Apple;)

Comment

Pecker

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Saw a concierge at a hotel in Chicago using one. He pulled up maps etc showing walking directions to local attractions and restaurants. Really slick presentation. They were able to remove his desk completely and now with the ipad(s) the concierge roams the lobby. It was very helpful.

Comment

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
What's the opposite of impressed?

Because that is what I would be if I was trying to by a car and some J@ckA$$ pulled out some stupid gimmick iPad to wow me.

Dude, they're selling cars not iPads. What's wrong with getting your Financing and other paperwork done on the spot? They're using the iPad for paperwork not so you'll buy a car coz of the iPad. The hell's the matter with you?

Who buys a car coz the salesman pulled out an iPad?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.