iPad UK Price Increase.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by apolloa, Jul 6, 2016.

1. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I am still yet to grab me an iPad, most likely the 9.7" Pro, and was thinking as the pound is nose diving on a daily occorence now since our referendum vote, when will Apple increase the iPads price? Should I buy one sooner then later?
    What do you economists out there think?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Highly likely. I am actually surprised that they haven't done it yet. Maybe they are waiting for the pound to stabilize.

3. Newtons Apple, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would think sooner and NOT later. From what I understand there will be some rough times before it gets better!

4. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Hmm I'll wait till pay day on the 15th and maybe get one then. Will have to think about it though, finance wise. But it's expensive enough already.

5. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

In the same boat, last year prices were raised in Europe so it is to be expected here. I'm expecting 10-15% which is a reasonable amount on an iMac 27" 5k!

6. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Yeap, the new One Plus 3 phone has got a price increase already, they said it was due to the EU vote causing the dive bombing value of the pound, it was only launched this week I think or last week?
    A sign of things to come....

If you were after a new computer I would certainly not hang around as that could be a 2 hundred pound increase potentially?

7. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Other companies have already implemented a 10% increase, quite surprised Apple hasn't followed suit. I would imagine that it will go up any time now.

8. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Be interesting to see if companies are as quick to reduce their prices when the pound returns to its pre vote level.
    If they're anything like the oil companies it will take an age, profiteering at its worst.

9. Osty, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016

Osty macrumors 6502a

I've lived in the uk and Australia and have watched their prices closely in both countries. During the economic booms in mid 2000s they grudgingly and belatedly lowered their prices a fraction when the AUD was at or above USD parity. The minute though the AUD started to slide after the mining boom and up went the prices.

I wonder how many Apple executives in California are scratching their heads and wondering why the $2000aud MacBook is not selling here?

Will be the same in the UK. The whole world wants to punish the UK for Brexit because it represents a vote again globalisation. Apple will not be any different. If you are living in the UK, get used to paying more for imports and unless you drop your wages, more for locally produced goods while all this uncertainty exists.

10. apolloa, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Wages will go up though to match, it seems in every single European country NOT in the EU they are far richer and have higher wages, this off sets the higher prices. I voted remain but what's done is done, I do NOT support any motion for a re-vote as that's not democracy, 2 world wars to have that privilege.. I don't think the entire world wants to punish us.
    I think we will have tricky times for 4 to 5 years now, but lets see what happens, I think once things settle businesses will work their way to be where they were before the vote.

Anyway, I may put my order in at the end of the week, I think Apple are waiting a while to see what happens.

11. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

i just picked up an iPad pro 9.7 partly with this in mind. I qualify for the education deal too so that discount + free Beats along with the prospect of a price increase meant the time was now. I'm sure Apple will up prices soon, and if not, well the pro is a very nice upgrade from my iPad 3 regardless.

12. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Yes I'm expecting around that amount. I'd say time is against me when it comes to price rise vs decision making time. As I already have an excellent monitor I was looking at either building my own or going the iMac all in one route and selling the monitor. The price of PC parts, pretty much for everything has already been affected by the brexit vote on Amazon, ebuyer and scan.

I had a list of parts on pcpartpicker, before the vote £770, now it's at £925.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I've been told some people have started buying Apple devices in the UK and selling them on the continent, because with the exchange rate and Apple not having changed its prices, they make a profit. Profiteering at its worst.

Right now the most expensive iMac in the UK costs €430 less than in Germany.

14. Osty macrumors 6502a

I hope you are right. I'm a British citizen by birth and I really don't want to see the UK go down the toilet. Let's be honest though, wages there (especially for those outside London) have been terrible for a decade. As for being punished, I hope that's not the case either. Maybe the Commonwealth might present you with opportunities; there's a lot of Aussies and Kiwi's who'd love free trade and open borders with the UK :)

As for democracy, well that's overrated - google what Winston Churchill said about democracy ;) Interesting titbit, in Australia a referendum needs 2/3rds majority of all people and 2/3rd majority in all states. Scraping by with 52% is not considered enough under the Australian constitution.

15. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I thought they would have done it already but I think T'hain Esh Kelch is right in the sense that they're waiting for the pound to stabilize. You could always get it from ebay where you can still get a 128GB 9.7-inch Pro for £550 or less (RRP £619 right now) so unless you buy strictly from Apple only then you shouldn't have to worry too much. I hope they don't raise the price especially since this one already starts off £100 more expensive. The price change is more worrying for the Macs where getting the desired custom model in new condition at a lower price is extremely rare.

16. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Well, typing this on my new 32GB Black iPad Pro 9.7" I got today! Just need to decide on a case now, Apples keyboard case is expensive and seems to be an origami nightmare?

17. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I treated myself to one of these: MOFRED® Black Ultra Slim New Apple iPad Air 2 (Launched Oct. 2014) Leather Case Cover, Full Protection Smart Cover for iPad Air 2 iPad 6th Generation With Magnetic Auto Wake & Sleep Function + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ONL1GBY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dwDKxbE4842K4

18. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Now you've made me think, I ordered an iPad air 2 refurb yesterday for £359, meaning I'll pay £259 once I shift my iPad mini on. I also qualify for education discount but now apple has change they way they do it online and I couldn't be bothered to go through it all just to view the education prices. But with the 32GB pro being £499, I'm guessing it would've been somewhere around £460 on the standard education discount. So potentially would've cost me £260 after selling on the beats and iPad mini. Now I want this iPad to be a media consumption device so the Pro would've been overkill but those 4 speakers would've been nice!

19. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I don't know how much Education Discount is but I work for one of the "big four" supermarkets and can get 2% discount on iPad; it comes in at £489.60.

Hope it still applies next January when my finance is paid off on my Mac Mini; can get 6% off the Mac range.

20. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

I called up and did it over the phone. It was £474 with the discount I got. Think there may be different amounts depending on how you qualify. Sold our iPad 2 for £100 so makes it £374 and selling the beats too so might be down to £300. No price increase from Apple yet, but I'm very happy with the pro over the iPad 3 (now my wife's).

21. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

The Brits voted to exit the EU so should expect the harshest consequences. Their currency is highly volatile and the recession is already starting. High priced imports should be the expectation for Brits. That means hikes in Apple gear of 50%. The cost of living in England will skyrocket and it'll be that way for a generation. One wonders if England will ever be a profitable market for Apple in the long terms. Talk about destroying your existence. So buy your Apple gear now before prices double.

22. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Do you work for a media organisation because this is the sort of hyped up nonsense I have come to expect from them!

I personally voted to stay in the EU but sadly 52% voted out and so we will most likely leave. However, don't for one minute underestimate the resolve of the British people to make a success of the situation as we've been doing that for longer than the USA has been in existence. We'll undoubtedly endure some short term pain as expectations are set and reset but in the mid to long term everything will settle back down. Our "existence" will continue despite your insistence that we have destroyed it. (seriously, did you even read what you wrote before you posted it?)

As for your suggestion of prices doubling, even if you go back a year, the exchange rate was around 1.55 dollars per pound and now it's around 1.30 so that suggests a 20% price increase not 50%. Then again, if you understand economics you might conclude that Apple might choose to weather the short term storm to reap the long term gain of keeping an important market buoyant. They may even choose to invest in the UK as it cheaper to do so right now.

23. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

So the price increases have arrived. £549 up from £499 for the base iPad Pro. Did the pencil go up too? Seem to remember it being £79, was too much for me then but now at £99 I'm not interested at all.

24. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

It could have been worse as the USD prices have actually been reduced.

25. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

P
    Blame the brexiters. No way should Apple have to take an ongoing financial hit due to the sterling crash.