MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

124332-npd_logo.jpg

A new market research study of approximately 2,000 consumers released today by NPD unsurprisingly reveals that awareness of Apple's forthcoming iPad tablet is highest among current owners of Apple products, with 82 percent of them aware of the new device. Subgroups of consumers with incomes of over $100,000 (80 percent) and in the 18-34 age group (78 percent) also registered at the top of the list for iPad awareness.

According to the report, 18 percent of surveyed consumers are interested in owning an iPad, with 24 percent of Apple owners registering interest. Respondents cited the Apple brand and the multi-touch screen as the top draws for the iPad, with most interested consumers looking at the device for music and Internet connectivity.
"The most interested potential iPad customers see it primarily as a music device, or for its internet access capabilities," said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD. "Considering what people are planning to use the iPad for, it's not hard to understand why people who have these capabilities on other devices, such as the iPod Touch or a notebook/netbook, may not want to spend $500 or more on a similar device. This points to the need for Apple to close the content deals that focus the iPad on what is likely to be its best long-range value proposition around high quality media consumption."
Among the key 18-34 year old demographic, 57 percent of consumers cite the iPad's pricing, which starts at $499, as the key barrier to purchasing the new device. Almost as many consumers cite a preference for netbooks or notebooks over the iPad as their reason for not purchasing an iPad.

Overall, NPD's study found that on the order of 10 percent of surveyed consumers are planning to purchase an iPad in the next six months.

Article Link: iPad Unsurprisingly Registering Most Popular With Affluent Young Adults Already Owning Apple Products

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
I think this is pretty significant and doesn't necessarily warrant a sarcastic, dismissive reply by the Apple fanboys.

It still remains to be seen if the ipad will be a success. There are obviously a large number of people who will buy anything as long as it is shiny and has an apple logo on it. Beyond that...only time will tell if this thing will be sucessful.

Comment

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
It still remains to be seen if the ipad will be a success. There are obviously a large number of people who will buy anything as long as it is shiny and has an apple logo on it. Beyond that...only time will tell if this thing will be sucessful.
At first I thought you were kidding, but it looks like you are serious! :eek:

The ipad will, without a doubt, be successful.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
the 18-34 year olds

the i'm a renter, no family and have too much money to spend to buy the newest tech toys the day they come out demographic

Comment

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
At first I thought you were kidding, but it looks like you are serious! :eek:

The ipad will, without a doubt, be successful.

I am dead serious. I suspect a lot of "normal" people view it as a 9-inch ipod touch.

Comment

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

alent1234 said:
the 18-34 year olds

the i'm a renter, no family and have too much money to spend to buy the newest tech toys the day they come out demographic

Jealousy gets you nowhere :p

Comment

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Yes, like myself. But it will still be a success in it's current form, and even more so in it's revisions regardless of what I think of it..

Not all apple products have been successful. In it's current form, I think it really lacks anything that will give it sustained growth outside of the apple loyal customers.

Comment

binarymelon

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
with 24 percent of Apple owners registering interest.

1 in 4 apple owners registering interest. In my opinion Apple should be worried about that stat. I would consider myself an Apple fanboy, but the iPad just has little appeal. The only feature that slightly interests me is the eBook reader, but I would not drop the extra cash to get this Apple branded one. I could get past no Flash on my iPhone, but not on the iPad. Jobs even said if the device can't be as good or better than the iPhone and desktop/notebook than it has no reason for existing. Another flaw which I could get past on the iPhone/iPod Touch but not with the iPad, is the fact that it is a single user device. I don't want my songs, videos, books and email intermingled with my fiancée's when I pick this thing up off the coffee table.

Comment

Big Fat Lies!

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
NYC
not your usual demographic

I am dead serious. I suspect a lot of "normal" people view it as a 9-inch ipod touch.

My wife, who is by no means and Apple fanboy, can't wait to get her hands on this little thing, which by the way I was getting for my son. When she saw the ad for it during the Oscar's she was hooked. I suspect that the demographic Apple typically would get to buy a new Apple shinny object is not the demographic that will actually want one of these. It might be a bit of a risk but given that they have put in orders (http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2010/03/133_62581.html) for the screens that will be used in these things numbers in the 13 million range suggests that they are betting that it will be a big hit.

Comment

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Not all apple products have been successful. In it's current form, I think it really lacks anything that will give it sustained growth outside of the apple loyal customers.

This got the big push though from Apple, developing electronic content from major players who will be advertising the iPad as they advertise their own new business model. The outreach for this thing will be massive. You never had anything like that with AppTV.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit disgusted with Apple for the carrot dangling they're about to with this product, they're treating us like we're stupid. They got away with it with the iPhone (no video camera, MMS, or copy n paste until revisions) and they're going to do it again with the iPad.

Comment

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Who doesn't know about the iPad?

I'm surprised that 18% of people who own Apple products do NOT know about the iPad. The surveyors should have asked a follow up question of, "Is your head currently located in one of your orifices?":confused:

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
1 in 4 apple owners registering interest. In my opinion Apple should be worried about that stat. I would consider myself an Apple fanboy, but the iPad just has little appeal. The only feature that slightly interests me is the eBook reader, but I would not drop the extra cash to get this Apple branded one. I could get past no Flash on my iPhone, but not on the iPad. Jobs even said if the device can't be as good or better than the iPhone and desktop/notebook than it has no reason for existing. Another flaw which I could get past on the iPhone/iPod Touch but not with the iPad, is the fact that it is a single user device. I don't want my songs, videos, books and email intermingled with my fiancée's when I pick this thing up off the coffee table.

The other ebook readers
- no flash
- costs the same as iPad
- no multitouch or minimal support for multitouch
- can't even surf the web well (Safari is the mostly HTML5 compliant mobile browser)

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Judging by the content that is already in the first iteration of the iPad I'd say it already is a success.

Judging by the fact that the biggest German publishing houses announced today that they are not going to make deals with Apple because of Apple's content censorship, I'd say that the iPad already is a flop in Germany and probably in the rest of Europe as well.

The iPad might be a nice device for a certain target audience -and that probably are older people for whom regular computers are too complicated to use - but unless Apple lets go of its censorship, it will always remain a niche product.

I'm pretty sure that Google and others won't make Apple's mistakes and will come up with an open platform that will define the de facto standard for the slate class.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I

It still remains to be seen if the ipad will be a success.

Anyone with any imagination beyond that of a rock can see that the iPad is an obvious winner. The industry is already squarely behind it. It's not *whether* the iPad will be a success, but rather, just how far it will go in changing the way we do computing across the board.

Comment

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
That's why it wil be successful

This is the stumbling block people with your way of thinking can't get past. it IS a 9 inch iPod touch. That's why it will be so successful. The iPod Touch is an amazing machine, but it's limited simply by its screen size. The difference in size bring the iPod up to a Computer in usefulness.

This is a device that older people will finally feel comfortable with. A large enough screen so that it seems substantial to them, rather than some tiny tech thing they don't get.

They're going to use it for everything in their homes. Unfortunately with that Apple commercial, the point doesn't come across. It really does look like just a bigger iPod, which they have little interest in.

Apple needs to drop the loud music, the "look at how young I am" attitude of their commercials, for the iPad. They also need to add, at minimum, the obvious features for v2.

So yes, I think this poll is a negative. iPad should have a much broader appeal than this.

I'm sure once it gets out in the market and people start using it, the word will get out.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Judging by the fact that the biggest German publishing houses announced today that they are not going to make deals with Apple because of Apple's content censorship, I'd say that the iPad already is a flop in Germany and probably in the rest of E

Some people (and countries) take a little longer to wake up to the obvious fact that it is in their best interests to distribute content through Apple.

Comment

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
I'm surprised that 18% of people who own Apple products do NOT know about the iPad. The surveyors should have asked a follow up question of, "Is your head currently located in one of your orifices?":confused:

The people on this forum (myself too) are not the average consumer.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.